Thread: Terrible day at the track

My Cars
    Z3

Thumbs down Terrible day at the track

It's like my car is getting slower and slower, and I don't know why..

Anyhow, my best run was 15.5@ 89mph. 2.4 60ft. I was borrowing a helmet for a guy, so I had to stop my runs early.

But before you jump in, and say "that's normal!" It's not!
    My car should trap that mph with a high 14 second 1/4 mile stock.

Not to mention, quite a few people were pulling off just awful times. A G35 coupe ran a 14.9, and a 350Z ran a 15.7

Only car I saw on pace was a S2000 with Intake and Exhaust run a 14.3 at 97mph. From my understanding, it should have been a few MPH up.

An Evolution ran a mid 14 with high 90mph trap speed.

And an E36 M3 (Dinan S1 package, no cat/res in mid section, Dinan Intake/Exhaust) ran a High 14 at like 94mph. Terrible.

A few weeks ago, I couldn't even manage to shake toocool on the highway, we were dead in heat.
    And Today, I could barely pull on a stock tC. This is pathetic.

I know I have a leak at my headers/exhaust, but is there anything else I should be checking as to why I'm so far down on power? The car just doesn't seem as quick lately, and this latest outing to the track proves it.

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    What were your 60ft times? that should tell if the car is getting slow or you were slow, or if the launch point was crappy for eveyone....

My Cars
    1980 Firebird
    Not to worry my friend. There was something wrong with the air because the same thing happened to me not to long ago. I went to the 1/4 mile to see what the 3.73lsd do to my times and I couldn't get faster than 97mph with the MAF plugged in and 99mph with the MAF unplugged. Now bare in mind that my car has only trapped 99mph maybe once or twice in stock form and now I have the M50 Manifold, Catback, and 3.73lsd.

So here is the catch, EVERYONE at the track was trapping 2-7mph slower and their ET's were at least .2 slower than on a normal day. Something to do with the air is what all the guys with dedicated drag cars were saying.

My best run of the day was a 13.47@99mph with a 1.901 60ft. I will guarantee you that on a day with good air and the same 60ft my car will go 13.3's if not faster. Now that I have a MAF that functions properly, thanks to Terry F, I will be getting back to the track later in the year and I will run 13.3's if not better.

Moral of the story is that air plays a huge factor and some days there is nothing that you can do to make your car faster.

Keep your head up and don't be discouraged. What's your RWHP/TQ and weight? Also, what tires do you have? When I got the 1.901 60ft I just didn't change anything with the tire pressure or anything like that. Next time you go to the track try to drop your tire pressure down and launch at 4500rpms with a little clutch slip and roll onto the throttle.
    “If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual State. In a single State, if the persons intrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair.” – Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28

My Cars
    Z3
    2.4 but I didn't launch hard. I think the Street has a better surface to grip from than the track did. It must have been the humidity, and the tempeture. Should I check my maf? Anything else?

My Cars
    1980 Firebird
    What tires are you on right now? Also, what RPM did you launch at? The next thing time you go to the track make sure you run with your MAF plugged in and then unplugged. If you run faster with the MAF unplugged then try cleaning the MAF with a couple sprays and go run again with it plugged in.
    “If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual State. In a single State, if the persons intrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair.” – Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0, '11 X3 28i
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
    It must have been the humidity, and the tempeture.
    These would be my suspects. Central Florida air temps in the mid-90's and humidty at like 90% = little O2. Engine was probably just gasping.

A few weeks ago, I couldn't even manage to shake toocool on the highway, we were dead in heat.
    Geez, Ice, you really shouldn't admit something like that.
    Last edited by SeanK; 06-27-2009 at 11:05 PM.

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    H e a t.

No more going fast until late October, my fellow Floridian.

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanK View Post
    These would be my suspects. Central Florida air temps in the mid-90's and humidty at like 90% = little O2. Engine was probably just gasping.

Geez, Ice, you really shouldn't admit something like that.
    I know..I usually don't talk about my failures....oh wait..you mean racing? It was very harmless. 60-80mph or 90mph a few times...

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    Totally heat. Why else would everyone run crappy times...

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0, '11 X3 28i
    I know..I usually don't talk about my failures....oh wait..you mean racing? It was very harmless. 60-80mph or 90mph a few times...
    No, no, I meant not being able to shake toocool. That's like saying you had trouble putting distance between you and a Smart Car.

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91

Heat and humidity. Teh suxors for power.
    2002 Alpine White w/ Black 368 (<OO \(||][||)/ OO>)
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps
    Coming soon: and a visit to Randy Forbes

My Cars
    '11 Fiesta, '90 Bronco
    what, 90% humidity is bad?

3.73 | TCK S/A w/ H&R Sport | M50 manifold | IE Subframe Bushings, RSM, & SS brake lines | Shark Injector | UUC Evo3 SSK & DSSR | Cosmos Strut Brace | ASC, Resonator, CDV Delete

My Cars
    Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanK View Post
    No, no, I meant not being able to shake toocool. That's like saying you had trouble putting distance between you and a Smart Car.
    Well, he's stock...nothing terrible about that. (ok, there is a lot wrong with that)

My Cars
    2002 M coupe & 2008 M3
    Definitely the heat hurting your times, but didn't you recently say you ran an e36 m3 neck and neck? My best time in my old 95 M3 was 14.003 @ 99mph. This also was in so fla in the summer, but at night. If you're trapping at 89 mph seems like you're a little ways off, my friend. Guy in the M3 needs to get his stuff together.
    2002 M coupe - Imola/Imola, 18" BBS LM, Wilwood BBK, TC Kline S/A coilovers, Supersprint V2 stepped headers, SS Section 1 race cats, SS Section 2 X-pipe, SS Race exhaust, 3.73 differential, Sport mode, Dinan ECU
    2008 M3 sedan - Melbourne/Black, 6MT, AA test pipes, Dinan exhaust, BPM Sport tune, Dinan intake, Swift springs

My Cars
    W205, Z3
    What tires are you running? I wanna run my 2.8 but I want some drag radials first.
    1999 Z3 2.8 Roadster Hardtop - Boston Green/Black, Magnaflow 14815, Headers, Custom CAI, IE RSM, ACS Shocks/Struts + H&R Sport, M54 Manifold, Cosmos Strut Brace.

2007 335i Sedan 6 speed - Black/Black

My Cars
    1980 Firebird
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcMacZ3 View Post
    What tires are you running? I wanna run my 2.8 but I want some drag radials first.
    You don't need drag radials. Certainly they can help, but I pulled a 1.901 on 275/40 General UHP Exclaims on street tire pressure.

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    I think I would be a little worried about drag radials on a regular street car. Wouldn't that be super hard on the rear end?

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    W205, Z3
    Hm well I got my car in April and it came with Kuhmo Ecsta ASTs. Not really much of a track tire. They got some good tread left but I was thinking some sticky tires would prevent spinning out off the line a lil bit more.
    1999 Z3 2.8 Roadster Hardtop - Boston Green/Black, Magnaflow 14815, Headers, Custom CAI, IE RSM, ACS Shocks/Struts + H&R Sport, M54 Manifold, Cosmos Strut Brace.

2007 335i Sedan 6 speed - Black/Black

My Cars
    Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueM3Racer View Post
    Definitely the heat hurting your times, but didn't you recently say you ran an e36 m3 neck and neck? My best time in my old 95 M3 was 14.003 @ 99mph. This also was in so fla in the summer, but at night. If you're trapping at 89 mph seems like you're a little ways off, my friend. Guy in the M3 needs to get his stuff together.
    There was an M3 at the track, he didn't run so well. High 14's at a low 90mph.

I'm going to try a few things, but my car feels really gutless as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcMacZ3 View Post
    Hm well I got my car in April and it came with Kuhmo Ecsta ASTs. Not really much of a track tire. They got some good tread left but I was thinking some sticky tires would prevent spinning out off the line a lil bit more.
    All tracks are different, but try lowering PSI on the rears to around 25, and launch at 2000RPM and up.

I babied it off the line, hence the 2.4/2.5 60ft.
    Last edited by Iceman00; 06-29-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1980 Firebird
    Iceman, what is the name of the track you went too?

My Cars
    Z3
    Bradenton Motorsports Park.

I'm going to run some test with, and without my maf. And also fix that damn header/exhaust leak. Car sounds like ass.

My Cars
    1980 Firebird
    That sounds like a good idea. Maybe have a couple runs with toocool with the MAF plugged in and then unplugged and see if there is any difference.