Thread: New alternator that whines, HELP!

My Cars
    97 M3

New alternator that whines, HELP!

So I ordered a new alternator for my 97 M3 (click link for alternator) because my old one was hissing and whining like a banshee whilst not charging the battery at all. The new alternator is snug in the car, charges the battery fine, but whines REALLY loud. One could say my car sounds like its supercharged. Also to note is that the whining gets more high pitched and quiet as I go up in RPM's. I JUST put this unit in the car, and it started whining the second I turned the car on. I tried to call pelican parts to resolve the situation, but they are closed, so I came here for some opinions. Thanks in advance!

-Tyler

My Cars
    97 M3

My Cars
    '97 M3/328i-'74/'76 02s
    Did you get a new regulator with it?

Are you positive that the sound is the alternator and not one of the other pullies, an old worn belt, or the waterpump?

-Justin
    --
    '74 tii
    '76 02
    '97 328i
    '97 m3
    http://www.bmw2002.net

My Cars
    97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jgerry2002
    Did you get a new regulator with it?

Are you positive that the sound is the alternator and not one of the other pullies, an old worn belt, or the waterpump?

-Justin
    what is a regulator? The sound started right when I installed the alternator, but under further inspection the sound does not sound like it is coming from inside the alternator, but rather a pulley or belt is making the noise. Perhaps I installed tensioned the belt wrong? Perhaps I need a new belt?? How do I pinpoint that?? Thanks in advance

My Cars
    Yamaha R6, Avus E36, MBZ C230
    Maybe you need a new tensioner. I'm having this issue also but it's defintely my alt. Whines like a bitch!

-phill F.- 10/95 Avus E36

My Cars
    97 M3
    It might be my tensioner, but why would it whine instantly after I messed with the belts to remove/install my alternators?

My Cars
    weak e36
    tyler, it sounds like the noisy belt. when you took it out of the car, it may have made some cracks worse, and now when they go over the alt pulley, they cause some extra noise.

mine did that a little while ago, there was a chunk missing from the belt, and i could have sworn that it sounded like a rock was tumbling around in my alternator.

i'd replace the belt, and make sure the pulleys spin without interferance. sometimes they can be out of alignment slightly. for example, when i did my oil pump nut, the power steering pulley started to rub agains one of the mounting screws. so you get the idea.

good luck,
    Brent
    -Brent

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerblue
    It might be my tensioner, but why would it whine instantly after I messed with the belts to remove/install my alternators?
    Didnt you have to mess with the tensioner to loosen the belt? maybe something is rubbing now or the tensioner just decided to be a bitch.

My Cars
    97 M3
    thanks brent,

do you guys recommend I just try to reinstall the belt, and go from there? Is this urgent? I need to drive the car to get tires put on this week....

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerblue
    thanks brent,

do you guys recommend I just try to reinstall the belt, and go from there? Is this urgent? I need to drive the car to get tires put on this week....
    Sounds like the first thing you should try.... If everything is idling smoothly and there seems to be no effect other than the noise you should be fine. I would recomend finding out what it is ASAP though.

My Cars
    weak e36
    ty - replace the belt today if you can. the last thing you want is the possibility of your belt breaking! (if it is in fact the belt making that noise)
    -Brent

My Cars
    Nike's
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerblue View Post
    So I ordered a new alternator for my 97 M3 (click link for alternator) because my old one was hissing and whining like a banshee whilst not charging the battery at all. The new alternator is snug in the car, charges the battery fine, but whines REALLY loud. One could say my car sounds like its supercharged. Also to note is that the whining gets more high pitched and quiet as I go up in RPM's. I JUST put this unit in the car, and it started whining the second I turned the car on. I tried to call pelican parts to resolve the situation, but they are closed, so I came here for some opinions. Thanks in advance!

-Tyler
    You ever fix this whining?

My Cars
    97 Arctic Silver-Dove ///M3
    Had this on my 325i. Sounded like a supercharger. I replaced the alternator...didn't fix it. Replaced the idler/tensioner pulley....bam, fixed. Wasted $300 on an alternator.....

|AST4100 w/ Vorshlag CC Plates|UUC Sways|X-Brace|255/40/17 NT01s|M50 Manifold|Dinan Software|PF FCABs|UUC RTABs|UUC Subframe Bushings|Hawk HP+|Stewart's H20 Pump|Mech Fan Del. with SPAL puller|TFX retrofit w/ E46 shrouds|AFE Intake|APEX ARC8 17x9|VM Swaybar endlinks|CDV Delete|Subframe Plates|Poly Diff Bushings|
    97 M3 Coupe
    06 E90 330xi
    02 X5 4.4
    93 325i SOLD

My Cars
    Nike's
    Thank you ^^. what would be the part # on realoem for a idler/tensioner pulley. I can't seem to find it.
    TIA

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Julz69 View Post
    Thank you ^^. what would be the part # on realoem for a idler/tensioner pulley. I can't seem to find it.
    TIA
    Look for a thread that was active yesterday.
    All part numbers are included several times.

My Cars
    97 Arctic Silver-Dove ///M3
    Its either one of these. I'm not sure which though.

RealOEM.com Home => Select another car => ENGINE => BELT DRIVE

14 DEFLECTION PULLEY 1 11281748130 $42.97
    06 ADJUSTING PULLEY 1 11281748131 $46.04

The easiest way to tell is if you take a piece of threaded rod or a long solid piece of metal, hold it up to the mount of the pulley and listen to the other end of the rod. If it screams in your ear, thats your problem...

Good Luck

|AST4100 w/ Vorshlag CC Plates|UUC Sways|X-Brace|255/40/17 NT01s|M50 Manifold|Dinan Software|PF FCABs|UUC RTABs|UUC Subframe Bushings|Hawk HP+|Stewart's H20 Pump|Mech Fan Del. with SPAL puller|TFX retrofit w/ E46 shrouds|AFE Intake|APEX ARC8 17x9|VM Swaybar endlinks|CDV Delete|Subframe Plates|Poly Diff Bushings|
    97 M3 Coupe
    06 E90 330xi
    02 X5 4.4
    93 325i SOLD