Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: DIY: Guage cluster removal

My Cars
    325i E30 - 530i E39
    HELP HELP !!!
    My E30 gauges are not working anymore, Tach is stuck at 2700 rpm, gas gauge is craay up & down all the time, only one working is coolant temp. What do I do, just replace the gauge cluster ? need help

My Cars
    94 325is
    my cluster displays PPPPPPP or something of that nature in the mileage slot. furthermore only the speedo works on the cluster... im assuming this means i have a bad cluster? can anyone confirm that?

My Cars
    m3
    Wow.., this has been some very helpful info. I'm not a mechanic and far from it. I've been restoring/upgrading a '95 e36 conv. I have installed M3 3.2l eng with 71k and matching zf tranny, new radiator, clutch, wp, alt, driveshaft, differential, hoses, new 20lb injectors, brakes, sway bars, wheel liners, etc.. (not cheap at all). I wish I could say it's been pleasurable, but ore of a nightmare. Sorry I digress.
    The gauge cluster is one of the final touches (w/new interior - dove grey) and have the new M3 cluster. Will it work in an OBDI car? I don't want an additional problem.

thanks guys in advance....Old school, you da man!

My Cars
    2005 E46 M3
    I wanted to add this DIY of the removing cluster portion of this project, you don't just wiggle it, it's more complicated than that. (yes I know this is an old parked thread, but I just did this project today and wanted to contribute).

I wanted to address how to specifically how to remove the cluster if you have a 3spoke M3 steering wheel. I haven't seen a post that describes this part in detail, but I think it's important and will save you time. I just took out my M3 cluster today to replace some light bulbs. I have the 99M3 3 spoke steering wheel and an obdII M3 cluster, and it was a pain trying to figure out how to get the cluster out.

Other write ups say you just wiggle it out, but they don't specifically tell you how to get the cluster out. It took me at least an hour to do this because i couldn't figure out how to get the cluster out.

I don't have pics but here is a small write up pertaining to how I got the cluster out, it's a tight squeeze and it can be a puzzle if you don't know exactly how to get it out.

1) after unplugging the 3 plugs in the back and unscrewing the 2 screws, pull out the cluster so that the front (gauge faces) is facing downward toward the center portion (bmw logo) of the steering wheel. the top portion of the cluster (where the top 2 tabs are) should be through the half moon portion of the steering wheel.

2) when the cluster is out of the cluster holding area and is free moving, and you have put the cluster face down through the half moon portion of the steering wheel, turn the steering wheel 45 degrees to the left (9 and 3 should now be at 6 and 12). when you move the steering wheel it should move in sync with the cluster so that the shape of the cluster and half moon on the steering wheel are moving together. then slide the cluster out from behind the steering wheel (not through the half moon part of the wheel).

And like the pelican parts article says, don't forget to do the self test for the cluster once installed. hold down the odo reset button when the car is turned off, then while holding down the odo reset button, turn key to position 1, wait for "test01" to appear, and then let go of odo button. The cluster will go through a series of tests and sync up your cluster.
    Hope some of you DIY'ers find this useful.
    Last edited by beem3; 02-27-2010 at 05:07 PM.

My Cars
    M3/4/5
    I tried ^^ without much luck. It came out but it was wayy too difficult and I also ended up scratching the plastic cover.

If the first way is taking you more than 5 min, just pop the steering wheel off. So much faster then swearing at your car, or damaging the cluster. Two T25 Torx bits and one 16mm bolt and your home free. It took me 30 min to do it the first way, and 5 min to do it the steering wheel removal way.

Just my 2 cents. Your car may be different

My Cars
    M3
    Easy as pie. If you can't do this, you may be a we todd. Used OP's instructions to the letter, with the exception of using my key. If you make sure that the steering wheel is unlocked when you start then you can slide it out just fine.

To pop the cluster out, check the OP's other DIY on removing the ac vent with the light switch. It makes it so much easier to stick your left arm through that vent and push the cluster out from behind it.

I did this on an M3 without tilt steering and had zero issues. So no excuses.

My Cars
    95' 318I, 01' 325I
    Hello I have a 95 318i, all my gauges (odometer-speedometer-fuel-gas-rpm-temp) on my instrument cluster went out and I bought one on ebay. Can I just put the one I just bought on with out having any problems?

My Cars
    E36 m3 four door

Exclamation milliage

Quote Originally Posted by pbclax423 View Post
    theres a way to change the mileage of a cluster your swapping into your car? didnt think that was possible, but id need to know how... my car has 104k on the chassis, 96k on the motor, and the new cluster i have in says 174k.... makes trying to sell it locally a total waste.
    I i have the same prob idk what to do like the question is if i put a 99 m3 gauge cluster in my 1997 328i and turn it on why would the mileage change ??? doesn't the gauge keep the miles

m3 gauge has 75k ome gauge car 130k
    will it change?

My Cars
    92 BMW 325i, e30 91 conv
    Ha....that was easy, just turn the wheel, turn the wheel and it comes right out.

Ok I replaced one of my bulbs...check.....I also have to remove the glass to get to the RPM and MPH over lay. How would you remove the glass front? I've tried with little sucess.

nvm you take out the RPM and MPH overlay from the back, well thats done......now to put it back together.
    Last edited by dshemo; 03-11-2011 at 08:18 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Rps13 View Post
    I i have the same prob idk what to do like the question is if i put a 99 m3 gauge cluster in my 1997 328i and turn it on why would the mileage change ??? doesn't the gauge keep the miles

m3 gauge has 75k ome gauge car 130k
    will it change?
    I'd like to hear the answer to this, myself.
    From what I've read, you can't retain your old mileage if your new gauge cluster has more miles on it than you original.
    Tim Bevan - Owner
    (303) 502-5375 Office
    (817) 304-0624 Cell
    www.OEMPartHaus.com

Tim@OEMPartHaus.com

E36 M328i...87 XR4Ti...85 XR4Ti...86 "Cossie"...86 944 Turbo...09 MINI Clubman...2012 Subaru Outback

My Cars
    99 M3 Vert, 00 323 sedan
    Hmmm sounds easy enough......famous last words
    I'm planning on doing this to my 98 323ic as alot of the instrument lights are not working, mileage etc
    Any idea of what amounts of each bulb type is in the cluster seems to be a total of about 20 bulbs, 3w, different types of 1.5w bulbs with no bases or black and beige
    I imagine that these are BMW only bulbs if I can i'd like to have on hand and not have to order or be mugged fiancially at the dealer
    I also am interested in the conversion from mileage to kilometers (California car)
    Anyone done this ?
    Thanks

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Convert
    Here is a nice little trick that I picked up now that I am waiting for my new bulbs to come in, take a 9V battery and take out all the bulbs one at a time and touch both sides of the contacts to the battery, if they light up, they are GTG, if not, then you need to replace, this way there is no need to install and take out the cluster again because of the wrong light.

My Cars
    98 E36 328i
    If the LEDs burn out that tell you the mileage do you need to replace the whole gauge cluster?
    06' WRX

FOR SALE - 98' 328i Cosmos Schwarz - M50 Mani Swap, Dinan CAI, Shark Software, Smoked Tails, Yellow OEM Fogs, Clear Side and Corners

PARTS FOR SALE (PM if interested):
    -Stock Sedan Taillights, Side Markers, Corner Lights $OBO
    -M52 Intake Manifold $50
    -M50 Throttle Body $35

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325xi Wagon

Cluster light replacement

Old Skool.....thanks, I have used your insight a few times without any problems, especially the door handle......great stuff, keep it up.....

My cluster light is out where the mileage would be seen. The bottom portion lights up when starting the car but dims out completely and when it's dark you could see a slight light illuminating the miles, but certainly out. My question is; has anyone ever replaced the bulbs in the cluster and if so which bulb # does it take. Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    1993 325i
    So the previous owner swapped clusters and tripped the SRS light, can someone point me in the write direction to obtaining a tool or what is needed to reset it?

My Cars
    325i
    I removed my cluster today in hopes that I could fix my Fuel Gauge back lighting, I swapped a lot different working lights into the spot for the fuel and none of them light it up. The lights I swapped in worked in the other spots, what is the next step to figuring out the issue?
    Thanks,
    Jeffrey

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    I would do a test on the bulb socket and see if it's a closed or an open circuit.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328iC

Bulbs for the cluster

I have a CEL that does not come on with the key turned 1 spot. Haveing the emissions done and the guy at the station said it had to be there before he even started the test State is CT. Pain in the ASS. Prior to this the light had been on for months. I several codes. I had misfire in #1 and #3. Scored 2 green dot coil packs and installed. Also a new set of Iridium plugs (NGK) I know I wanted bosch but they did not have them in stock and wanted to get the car registered. Also had code for Bank #1 sensor #1 and replaced that with Bosch specific sensor $104 at AutoZone. Brought to Advance and had the kid reset the OBDII. Was awesome and the CEL went out. Thought I was home free. Drove straight over to emissions test place. The car failed before it was even tested due to the non illuminated CEL light when the key is turned prior to cranking and starting.

So I am at a bad bulb, just amazed that it blew when it was working before. Sounds impossible to me and want to know if there are any other IDEAS out there.
    Thanks,
    Eden
    edenweiss
    The Connecticut Valley Chapter of the BMW Car Club of America
    SOMOA BLAU 97' 328 VERT.

Somethings are worth the wait!

My Cars
    bmw

obdi

Quote Originally Posted by keeptheuroalive View Post
    +1 and what about OBDI would it matter what the mileage is?
    x2. Does this mileage update on cluster swap apply to OBDI as well?

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i
    This is just in time, I am looking at swapping out my 11 button OBC for an 18 button version, and the technician told me that I need to access the wire bundle behind the instrument cluster as well as one behind the glove box.

My Cars
    1995 318is
    I went around here today to look for the instrument panel and all the shops wanted $150 and wouldnt budge below $100. So my last stop was an actual junkyard where you pick out what you need and I found the exact panel for my E36 manual for $16. Im about to hook the now one in lets hope it work! CAN I GET A HIGH FIVE!!
    Thanks old skool !!!

UPDATE: Damn i am good it works. But i took a chance by not unpluggin the battery and my SRS light did come on.
    Last edited by amarcilese; 06-19-2012 at 11:06 PM.

My Cars
    1999 323i Vert
    Pulled the cluster two times this past weekend to replace some bulbs. This was actually the 5th or so time for me to pull it but this time I removed the steering wheel as the other method always scrapes my hands and the connections on the back are so tight I don't want to pull wires.

Anyway, after I first reinstalled the cluster the spedo/tach would not work. Every so ofter it would respond but they would stay in the 0 position for the most part.
    After the second reinstalling the speedo/tach isn't working at all (all other needles work fine).

Loose wire(s)? Anyone know which plug/wire I should check out?

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan

Can I get to the high beam relay with the cluster removed?

Quote Originally Posted by old skool View Post
    you have to put the key into the ignition so that your steering wheel doesn't lock on you and as you wiggle the cluster, rotate the wheel and it will slide out the side.

----
    Do you know if the electrical relays are accessible with the cluster removed? I am trying to replace the high beam relay with a Canadian relay to enable daytime running light feature. The relay is tucked behind the instrument panel to the left of the steering column. I dropped the trim down below and there is no access to the relay. agh!
    Last edited by martin1997m3; 02-08-2020 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Clarification

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345