Thread: New 2002 Owner...

My Cars
    '76 BMW 2002(stock),'01 Jeep Grand Cherokee

New 2002 Owner...

Hey everyone,
    A friend of mine just got a '76 BMW 2002. I know being a friend of a owner is probably looked down upon on the forum but i am trying to help him restore and poteintally modify his 2002. We are pretty ametur when it comes to mechanic skills. However, we have already started to notice some quirks and were wondering how to go about fixing them. So he are a few questions: (BTW... i haven't searched yet... so i am kinda orgainizing these questions for myself as well so i have a list to search for)

1.) By chance, does anyone know of a good, yet affordable BMW mechanic in the greater SF Bay Area, CA.

2.) Certain electrical features (blinkers, raido, etc.) don't work when the key is not fully turned, the key can also be pulled out while driving. So we want to replace the Key Ingition Unit. Are there other/newer models of BMW's i can look for in our local junkards for a possible swap. We would like the best fit possible. With security and realiablity in mind.

3.) Car seems to sputter and remain at really low-idle when its cold. It seems to get a little better when it is fully warm but still has a rough idle. Any reccomendations for tuning the carb? choke? or could it be something else?

4.) Overheating occurs in prolonged traffic driving conditions. Reccomended aftermarket radiators? Electric Fans?

5.) (petty/stupid question, i know) Reccomended brands and weights of Manual Transmission fluids, Differentail Fluids, Engine fluids (are these equipped with stock LSDs, do i need to add limited slip modifier?)

6.) Are these cars equipped stock with window washing sprayers?

TIA... this is just a teaser... we will have many more questions to come. Thank you all so much in advance... we really do appricate it.

-Brendan (car owner: nik... he might use my log-in name occasionally)

My Cars
    The Three and the Two
    Do a search on www.bmw2002faq.com. Alot of your questions have been covered on there.

Not in order:

The rough idle could be because of a cam, carbs or just poor tuning. If you could tell us more about the car, it would be helpful. Is the car all stock?

Flush the radiator and check everything over before you go an replace or upgrade anything. Whats the weather like by you? 02s are known for overheating "under 15 mph." Or so they say.

When my key isnt turned all the way, some things dont work. I think its just designed like that, but your other problems seem real.

My car idles faster when its hot than when cold. Any sputtering should go away after running for a few seconds.

Alot of people use Redline MTL in the trans. Im currently using ATF to flush it out, and I hear you can use ATF also. Some cars have LSDs. Your car is so old, it could have anything done to it. Im using Amsoil synthetic oil in my diff though. I believe it can be used with a limited slip or open.

Im pretty sure these cars came with window washers, but once again, sometime in the past 29 years, it could have been removed.

If you have AIM, post it up. Tell us as much as you can about the car.
    BMWe

1976 BMW 2002
    1995 BMW 325i Saloon

My Cars
    Thanks for such the prompt response. We will be flushing the radiator and trans.

It is a 1976 BMW 2002 4spd. I dont belive its a TI or anything. The car is very new to us so we are unsure on how everything is. All we know is a few checked over things and what the previous owner has told us (which could be lies)

The car is pretty much 100% bone stock. If not all original BMW parts then maybe some cheaper OEM replacements.

Maitaince Stuff:
    + The battery appears to be clean and new.
    + The owner told us the carb has been rebuilt (i took of the air box cover and filter and looked down and it looked brand new, the filter is also clean)
    + Brake fluids have been checked and bled.
    +Engine oil & filter was just changed.
    +The owner told my friend something about the pedal area being modified but we dont know exactly what he did
    + Clutch seems to be on its last 40-30% life or tranny could be going bad.
    + Brakes seem just okay. I visually inspected the front side of the front rotors and their appears to be no warping
    + The previous owner installed one of those clear fuel filters and it appears to be clean.
    + The owner told us the shocks were realitively new. (there is some body roll but for a '76 it feels rather good)
    + The mechanical radiator/engine fan appears to be replaced with a cheap oem replacement. Its mad of pretty flimsy red plastic. It comes very close to touching the air box hose. Because of overheating and this air box issue, we are thinking no would be a good time for an electric fan upgrade. (hopefully one that will work with the current and a future new radiator)
    + No maintaince lights are on but they still lightup on starts so i figure they work.

Body:
    +Paint and Body are super clean. With very small sized (about dime sized) minor rust spots without serious corrosion (about 3-4 spots)

+The car is white and the owner said it had been re-painted once

+we just cleaned the interior and the dash has a very minor crack. But other that it is pristine as well.

+Stereo is completely stock w/ space for two 6x9's already cut. It has a center speaker in back.

Owners purpose:
    A very realiable car to get him to and from work and school. Which is less than 5-10 miles away. A car to learn how to work on and drive. One of our other friends is pretty good with mechanics and does weekend racing at local tracks. He hopes to very slowly turn this car into a weekend warrior as well. As things break or decay he wishes to replace them with quality aftermarket replacement parts. After the car is fully realiable will he then start to put performance parts (springs, sways, power upgrades, better brakes[unless the current brakes break then he will replace them sooner]etc.)

My Cars
    74 '02tii, 70 '02, 74 '02, 75 '02
    Congrats on buying one of the new classics -- these are great cars (well I guess we're all kind of biased, but with good reason!!)

I'm not so hot at carbs etc as I've got the fuel injected version, but there is a great book BWM '02 Restoration Guide by Mike Macartney which gives good coverage of nearly everything about your new car. It probably runs 20-30 bucks and is worth every penny. That and a haynes manual should get you going on the major systems and diagnostics etc.

One common upgrade is to get an early 320i radiator and put that in. The cooling is a known weak point with 02's and the BMW guys corrected that in later models. But like ohtwo says, flush that puppy first and see if that helps.

Best of luck and keep us updated!!!

-z

My Cars
    '81 320/6 Baur
    1.) By chance, does anyone know of a good, yet affordable BMW mechanic in the greater SF Bay Area, CA.
    There is a BMW '02 owners ' group in the Bay Area that you should probably get in touch with to find out about good shops.

Their website offers a lot of info. Link is below.

BAY AREA '02

HTH,
    HarryPR
    '81 320/6 Baur (#2569)
    BMW CCA # 19290

My Cars
    thanks for the local website info... i haven't had a chance to search through it but i am sure it will be very helpful.

We are trying to budget this this as best as possible. We are going to start looking for a 320 radiator in local junkyards.

Today we are finishing the detailing of it (waxing, interior cleanning, etc)

Also within the week... we will probably be purchasing the reccomended diff fluids and tranny fluids.

And continuing to look for local mechanics. Once we find that radiator he will probably be purchaseing an electric fan. Anyone have anything against flex-a-lite?

TIA!

My Cars
    '68 camaro, '73 2002, '89 M3
    Was this the one in Cambell(San Jose area)?

Cris
    The rides-
    '68 Camaro- 511hp 388cid, Tremec 5 speed, Baer Brakes, Hotchkis suspension, 18" Budniks, Recaro seats
    '73 2002- Metric Mech. 2200 efi, 5 speed, 3.90 lsd, Ground Control suspension, 16" staggered Alpina wheels, Recaro interior
    '89 M3- CSL wheels, Ground Control Suspension, Koni dampers
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/792851
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by fjord7302
    Was this the one in Cambell(San Jose area)?

Cris
    i beleive so... u know anything about it that we dont?

Also, another little quesiton. Anyone know the demensions of the stock radaiator and the 320 radiator?

My Cars
    76 2002, 03 330 'Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder371
    i beleive so... u know anything about it that we dont?

Also, another little quesiton. Anyone know the demensions of the stock radaiator and the 320 radiator?
    I think the depth and height are the same, but it is about 3 inches wider.

My Cars
    '68 camaro, '73 2002, '89 M3
    I saw the car on Craigslist. Looked like a pretty clean ride. Congrats.

Cris
    The rides-
    '68 Camaro- 511hp 388cid, Tremec 5 speed, Baer Brakes, Hotchkis suspension, 18" Budniks, Recaro seats
    '73 2002- Metric Mech. 2200 efi, 5 speed, 3.90 lsd, Ground Control suspension, 16" staggered Alpina wheels, Recaro interior
    '89 M3- CSL wheels, Ground Control Suspension, Koni dampers
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/792851
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

My Cars
    No BMW's currently
    I have an extra 320i radiator in my garage that I have no need for. I'm in north bay, you can have it if you come and get it.
    PM or email me if you are interested.

ken

My Cars

interested...

hey i would be very interested in driving up to take that off your hands. Howver, i can't seem to find ur e-mail and for some reason it wont let me pm. You please e-mail me at wonder371@gmail.com to setup a meeting time and date. Thanks.