Thread: Dedicated track car - power steering and floorboard issues...

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5

Dedicated track car - power steering and floorboard issues...

For you track junkies out there who have gutted your cars and turned them into dedicated track cars...I have two main questions now, and probably more later:

1) Power steering - mine is leaking from the hoses. Obviously new hoses and clamps would fix it for now, but did you retain your PS system? Can I remove it? I don't really see a need to have it - would save weight to remove it. Thoughts, comments?

2) After removing the carpeting, especially in the footwells, there is exposed wiring and very uneven surfaces. What do you guys do about this? Weld metal plates on top, or ?
    2003 Ferrari Red M3 3.5L wagon // 2011 Montego Blue tri-turbo 335d wagon
    2012 Deep Sea Blue X5d // 2003 Orient Blue 330i wagon
    In progress/For Sale: 2003 Alpine White M3/ZHP wagon // 2003 Japan Red M3/ZHP wagon

My Cars
    none these days...
    Quote Originally Posted by Redshift
    2) After removing the carpeting, especially in the footwells, there is exposed wiring and very uneven surfaces. What do you guys do about this? Weld metal plates on top, or ?
    i have the VAC floor pans....a little expensive and i had to trim them a little to fit with my cage....the diamond plate has pretty high bling factor though

you could always fab up something similar...i was just in a hurry and it was a lot easier to use the vac parts...

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    I recommend keeping the power steering. PS leaks are the norm, not sure there's a solution.

When you remove the carpeting you'll have an eneven floorboard, there will be a ridge towards the tranny tunnel. I bolted in diamond plate...evens the floor out but doesn't look nearly as nice as the VAC diamond plate. Most track cars I've seen have nothing on the floor boards. I will likely remove the diamond plate, it adds weight and isn't really necessary.

Is divorce in the air? Get the list and follow it!
    http://forum.dadsdivorce.com/viewtopic.php?t=13374

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    dmwhite, you got pics of yours installed? I'd rather not add that much weight

At speed, PS is not really all that useful...but I'd like to know why you recommend keeping it?

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    At speed, PS is not really all that useful...but I'd like to know why you recommend keeping it?
    I had mine disconnected for a short while and it was an absolute pain to drive around and slow speed. I know I should be a little more hardcore being a racer and all but I have bad shoulders and it was painful. I understand you can gain a tiny bit of power and you can lighten the car by 20 lbs or so but it's not worth it to me.

Is divorce in the air? Get the list and follow it!
    http://forum.dadsdivorce.com/viewtopic.php?t=13374

My Cars
    2011 E91

Keep the power steering and contact Evosport. They are working on a solution for adapting the connectors to AN fittings. It will be on my racecar soon. The reason the stock lines leak it flex of the motor in the mounts, eventually fatiguing them enough for them to fail. If the stock lines were 2 inches longer, I bet it wouldn't be a problem. You can also try solid motor mounts (if your class allows) so the motor won't flex over so much.

Also, on the floorboard, just bolt in some aluminum diampondplate. More expensive and less weight would be carbon fiber, but it might be a bit overkill.
    Jon
    CURRENT:
    2011 E91 328i - Valentine One - LED Interior - Eibach Coilovers - Vossen Wheels
    SOLD:
    1989 E30 J-Stock
    1995 E36 C-Mod
    2003 E46 B-Mod
    1990 E30 325is - Red on Black
    1998 E36 M3 Convertible - Silver on Black
    2000 E39 540i Sport - Black on Black
    2005 325iT - Blue on Tan - 6sp - Koni's - Eibach - Valentine One - 3.64 LSD
    2006 E90 330i - Silver on Black
    2014 535i - Space Grey on Black - H&R - Valentine One

My Cars
    none these days...
    i dont have any good pics of it, sorry...check VAC's site, they have pics of it...honestly, they arent that heavy (its just diamond plate aluminum) and the weight is going down low anyway....i did a couple of DE's without anything down there and it was pretty annoying, the pans take care of the "drop-off" in the floor and raise your foot up to the right height for the gas pedal....

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    Thank you all for the replies. I know you were at VIR this weekend but we did not get to meet up. What have you got done to your car to make it pull so hard? Buddy of mine who was there (who's car is about equal to mine in acceleration) says you pulled him on the straights pretty good.

Do the VAC pans bolt in or do they require welding?

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    Quote Originally Posted by dmwhite
    i dont have any good pics of it, sorry...check VAC's site, they have pics of it...honestly, they arent that heavy (its just diamond plate aluminum) and the weight is going down low anyway....i did a couple of DE's without anything down there and it was pretty annoying, the pans take care of the "drop-off" in the floor and raise your foot up to the right height for the gas pedal....
    Now I know who you are dmwhite You were the rollcage Avus. I talked to the mechanic who worked on that 400whp S4 Avant beast of a car!

Me and Redshift were both at this past weekend's VIR event! What do you have done to your car? It really pulled on the straights (and twistys)

i'll be back up there next month for the audi event, you coming to that one?
    Sure will! I'll be sure to look for you.
    Eric WONGer
    2012 NASA Nationals GTS3 First Loser
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    none these days...
    Thank you all for the replies. I know you were at VIR this weekend but we did not get to meet up. What have you got done to your car to make it pull so hard? Buddy of mine who was there (who's car is about equal to mine in acceleration) says you pulled him on the straights pretty good.

Do the VAC pans bolt in or do they require welding?
    sorry i missed you up there!

my car is basically an IP car, i just haven't started racing yet, that comes later this summer ...i have the JC cam kit, track pipe, and cat-back...

i just screwed my pans down with some self tapping screws...

My Cars
    none these days...
    Quote Originally Posted by magnetic1
    I talked to the mechanic who worked on that 400whp S4 Avant beast of a car!
    he musta been smoking something, no way in hell that things making 400 at the wheels....it might be making 400 at the crank...maybe....it sounds great though and makes me want something with a v8 (other than a tow vehicle )

Sure will! I'll be sure to look for you.
    cool!

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    The E36 powersteering isn't so bad on the track, but on my 240SX the steering was so floaty and overassisted that I love the car without PS. I only about have about 1300lbs on my front wheels, so I imagine it's a bit easier to steer than an E36 without PS.

I drive it on the street a bit too and it's not too bad getting around. A little bit of a workout below 5mph, but we're car guys - we should relish stuff like that.

My Cars
    Ha, the two issues you have described are also on my long list of stuff to do to my car before my first race in May. Here's my plans:

For the P/S I'm going to weld AN fittings onto the hardlines where they transition into hose. Use some better quality hose such as aeroquip. Haven't decided on crimp on or reusable AN fittings, probably just get the reusable ones since I'm not worried about saving a couple ounces of weight with a min weight on the car. Check out:

http://e30m3performance.com/installs...rack/rack2.htm

It's got some good pictures and has a link for a resevoir with AN fittings.

For the floor pans I'm just going to fab up a sheet metal piece, nothing fancy. You should be carefull here bc we all know that your floor pan falling off can be distracting ala fast and furious
    -Alex
    "Are you drunk again?"
    "No, I'm just exhausted because I've been up all night drinking."

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    Geez, why isn't BF.c sending me e-mail replies on this. I just checked it to reference something else and found all these new replies.

David, do you ever go to the BMW CCA dinners in Morrisville? I'd love to see your car in person sometime when we have more time to chat - but you probably don't drive it on the street. Hope to meet you soon.

My Cars
    none these days...
    David, do you ever go to the BMW CCA dinners in Morrisville? I'd love to see your car in person sometime when we have more time to chat - but you probably don't drive it on the street. Hope to meet you soon.
    nah, i've never been to any of the dinners...you're welcome to come by and check out my car any time i'm in raleigh (although the car may not be there much in april, i'm having some work done to it)...i'm usually out of town most of the week but i'm typically back in raleigh friday-sunday (if i'm not at the track )...i'll be back at vir next month at the audi event, you going to be there?

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    Not sure if I'm going to that one or not. Wife has to go to LA on business, so I might tag along for the free hotel and food (and sunshine). I was asked to instruct, so I still might make it.

My Cars
    none these days...
    Not sure if I'm going to that one or not. Wife has to go to LA on business, so I might tag along for the free hotel and food (and sunshine). I was asked to instruct, so I still might make it.
    ah, right on...after that weekend it may be a little while before i make it back to vir, i'll be at roebling, cmp, and rockingham in the next few months...

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    We plan to hit the Rock with THSCC this year and then there is a special Corvette event being sponsored by the NCM and done by Tom Bohlmann from the Corvette Forum that I was asked to instruct at as well, down at CMP - which I plan to be at.

Maybe one weekend soon I can come over and check out your ride

My Cars
    none these days...
    We plan to hit the Rock with THSCC this year and then there is a special Corvette event being sponsored by the NCM and done by Tom Bohlmann from the Corvette Forum that I was asked to instruct at as well, down at CMP - which I plan to be at.

Maybe one weekend soon I can come over and check out your ride
    yeah, i'll be at that thscc event...i think i'm gonna do cmp with pca...tom gave me some info about the vette event, but i dont think i'm going to be able to make it...

you can come by anytime, i should have the car back by mid april...

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by dmwhite
    yeah, i'll be at that thscc event...i think i'm gonna do cmp with pca...tom gave me some info about the vette event, but i dont think i'm going to be able to make it...

you can come by anytime, i should have the car back by mid april...
    Cool - can you PM me with your address and/or phone number and/or e-mail address? brian@pfyc.com is mine.
    2003 Ferrari Red M3 3.5L wagon // 2011 Montego Blue tri-turbo 335d wagon
    2012 Deep Sea Blue X5d // 2003 Orient Blue 330i wagon
    In progress/For Sale: 2003 Alpine White M3/ZHP wagon // 2003 Japan Red M3/ZHP wagon

My Cars
    none these days...
    pm sent...