Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Head unit and sub question

My Cars
    1998 z3 2.8L

Head unit and sub question

Went from no cd player to a Kenwood KDC MP-7028. It's amazing... the best part is it measures accelerating and cornering G-forces. Its also got a display of a car that turns when i turn.. haha i love it. also got two Memphis M-class 5 1/4 in. for the kicker panel speakers which help hearing music with the top down. Anyways does anyone have suggestions of what size/kind of sub to go between the two seats

My Cars
    325i

Yeah man.....go with JL Audio

If you get a w6v2 or a W7, it will hit so nicely. I dont know what size that would be, but definatly look into those 2 subs with a proper JL amp for the size of the sub

My Cars
    '99 M3, E36 328is '96(Totalled)
    JL is so expensive, get it if you wanna blow your money. Infinity Kappa perfect is nice if you want something comparable to a W7. Its even a little softer sounding....
    The Yay Area.

My Cars
    1997 328iC
    go w/ JL w3, great subs and u can find em new for around 150 or so
    1997 328ic
    1999 528i

My Cars
    1998 z3 2.8L
    thanks for the input im reasearching all those right now and i'll bring them up when i go back to the shop

My Cars
    1986 BMW 325 E
    Just wondering what the head unit looks like. Cna you take a picture and show that car your talking about.

My Cars
    Stolen

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

JL Audio are great subs but after blowing 2 in the past I'll stick with Alumapro
    get an Alchemy and pump it with a good 300 watts and you'll be very happy, great subs and cheaper than a W7, I'll take an aluminum cone anyday

My Cars
    1998 z3 2.8L
    yeah i'll take a picture tomorrow... has anyone heard of the trubase 8 inch... i heard it requires 500 watts to even run... gimme your input

My Cars
    00 528i Sport
    You just hinted at the problem with most modern subwoofers: very inefficient. A massive 8-inch woofer can easily have half the efficiency of a 10-inch or 12-inch woofer due to the small radiating cone area and excess moving mass.
    A lighter cone assembly with a precision motor typically will produce high SPL's with half the power. At the SLAP Grand Nationals last fall (a major dB drag event), the top finalists in one of the categories had (4) 15-inch JL subs and 10,000 watts pitted against another car with (4) Alumapro AlchemyRX 12-inch subs and 8,000 watts. The JL car got second place for the show with 158 dB. The Alumapro subs beat that with 168 dB! A huge first place steal. That's 10 TIMES the acoustic output with smaller subs and less power!
    Granted, this is not typical comparisons, but it illustrates that you do not need huge amplifiers/multi batteries/new alternators to achieve excellent bass performance. Just good sense when selecting subs and enclosures.

Matthew
    00 528 Sport