Thread: Do i need a new alternator? Stereo cutting out..

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34

Exclamation Do i need a new alternator? Stereo cutting out..

At times my stereo cuts out when the windshield wipers go or when i turn on my headlights. The illumination inside of my car and headlights flickers at times and other times is fine. Is this my alternator? Any info would be nice cause its starting to scare me. Thanks to all.

My Cars
    93 325is
    whens the last time you changed your battery?
    UUC|AC Schnitzer|AA|Ecis|Ground Control|Koni|H&R|Rieger|BMW Motorsport|Hamann|Pirelli

My Cars
    AC Schnitzer E36
    I'm having the same problem. May be battery, or alternator, or voltage regulator.

My Cars
    2003 M3, 1998 M3 TS
    My car was fine since u have a 1992 325i same as me we have a 105 amp alternator and i can 2 amps winshiled wipers, headlights and interior lights just fine with a battery thats been in there for over 3 years.

My Cars
    '96 Hellrot 328is
    I have a 500 watt 4 channel amp and i have a similar problem. It really is only when my headlights are on and it gets worse when i use the rear defrost and my wipers. Im going to be getting a new battery and alternator soon. That should definately solve the problem.

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    I was trying to avoid getting both. I found that a wire coming from my system came disconnected at the battery, i thought the reason i was sometimes getting shorts was when it hit some other piece of metal. So i reconnected that thinking it was good to go. It was the whole way home until i pull in to my neigborhood and then i got the cutting out again as another electrical device came on.

Does anybody think this can be related to the haunted digital climate controls? Mine definetely has the haunted digi control and just has a mind of its own sometimes and other times it works perfectly.
    My stereo cuts out when the climate control magically turns on but then it also cut out when i was testing it with the headlights?
    Whats the deal? I was thinking of dropping by my mechanic after work, do you think he could diagnose the problem easily? I just want to get this fixed so it doesn't cause any worse problems. Any help would be appreciated, thanks all.

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    Quote Originally Posted by XmEnNiNjA
    whens the last time you changed your battery?
    Within six months. I have an autolight. Is that garbage or what? do i need to get a better one, this one was a lot smaller then the oem battery.

Feedback please.

My Cars
    93 325is
    i had a similar problem and bought an optima yellow top. no more dimming of the lights.
    UUC|AC Schnitzer|AA|Ecis|Ground Control|Koni|H&R|Rieger|BMW Motorsport|Hamann|Pirelli

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    Quote Originally Posted by XmEnNiNjA
    i had a similar problem and bought an optima yellow top. no more dimming of the lights.
    Did you ever have stereo cut outs like my car? Or just dimming lights?

My Cars
    93 325is
    dimming lights.

My Cars
    98 e36, 02 v40
    If you don't have a lot of time or technical knowhow (like me), take it to your mechanic, but only if he knows BMW's. The radio and climate control are known problem areas for this car, not sure if they are somehow connected through the same relay or whatever. If it's the climate control, you can get it fixed or buy another one through one of the site supporting vendors. I'm pretty sure its a DIY install.
    I'm about to be on my 3rd BMW radio. Might have to get an aftermarketunit eventually, but I like the big buttons on the stock c33 unit, and nobody wants to steal them .
    Get the proper battery I think, for the dimming of the headlights.
    Formerly 328i, now 332i : Debadged, Cosmos Black/Black, '99 s52 motor, custom short ram intake with ITG maxogen filter, Dinan springs, Koni adj sports, Rogue Engineering LTW flywheel clutch kit, UUC swaybarbarians, HMS oil pump, Fan Delete mod, Mishimoto alum radiator, UUC UD pullies, upgraded water pump, BBS RK2's w 235-40-17 Yoko S-drives for summer, the Shaahhhk, passport x50, Scorpion cat back exhaust, BSW midrange speakers, Recaro knock-off child safety seats by graco...

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    I am already shipping my Digi to get fixed. My stereo is working find i just have some sort of electrical issue. I have an aftermarket unit and have had no problem until my car started acting electronically odd.