Thread: Heat Shield under my Hood @ Done

My Cars
    BMW 325is Turbocharged - Jeep Cherokee 4.6L Stroke

Heat Shield under my Hood @ Done

Mirror, mirror, tell me who is the nicest?

Hope with this mod, can keep the heat low on the hood to prevent short life of my paint.

PS: Do you guys put htis in your bimmers?
    Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    Seems to me, most of us are alot more concerned with the temps that develop in the area Under the hood, than Over it!
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/

My Cars
    325iS
    Thats a teeny turbo.
    93' 325iS

2JZ-GTE Powered BMW is complete.

2JZ Powered E36 / 3" Garret Front Mount Intercooler / 3" Exhaust / HKS EVC Boost Controller / Twin Plate OS Giken Clutch / Carbon Fiber Hood / M3 Bumpers and Skirts / M3 LED Mirrors / Euro Taillights / Clear Corners / Euro Ellipsoids / 18" Hamann Replica Wheels / 4-way Adjustable Coilovers / Momo Shift Knob / Momo Milennium Steering Wheel / Alpine Head Unit / Alpine Type X Components in custom Kick Panels / Alpine Amplifiers / Alpine Type R Subs

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by MZKozan
    Thats a teeny turbo.

Are you Kidding? It's strigth T4 with a 2.5" out let turbine
    Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

My Cars
    325is
    Quote Originally Posted by paul e
    Seems to me, most of us are alot more concerned with the temps that develop in the area Under the hood, than Over it!
    Exactly... i prefer that the heat is going for the hood, than back to the engine...
    325is 92 non-vanos
    AA Supercharger (9.5psi @ 7000rpm)
    85mm pulley and new hyperboost DV

Good for the paint on your hood, not so good for your engine.

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    Whos had a problem with heat from the engine bay destroying paint on the hood anyway?! Start a thread on good ways to vent the heat from under the hood, and youll have alot more interest.. Cept I think there are alot of those threads here already.
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

My Cars
    Porsche, BMW, Land Rover
    Quote Originally Posted by paul e
    Whos had a problem with heat from the engine bay destroying paint on the hood anyway?! Start a thread on good ways to vent the heat from under the hood, and youll have alot more interest.. Cept I think there are alot of those threads here already.
    With the turbo mounted that close to the hood, it would likely be an issue, but for cars with the turbo located at the bottom of the exhaust manifold, this is not a problem. I've been running my car with the hood padding removed for years and it has been fine.
    In this case, I would have only padded around the turbo area as padding the whole hood with that stuff is going to hold in the heat more.

My Cars
    325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    With the turbo mounted that close to the hood, it would likely be an issue, but for cars with the turbo located at the bottom of the exhaust manifold, this is not a problem. I've been running my car with the hood padding removed for years and it has been fine.
    In this case, I would have only padded around the turbo area as padding the whole hood with that stuff is going to hold in the heat more.
    Or you could wrap the turbo... its a way better solution...
    325is 92 non-vanos
    AA Supercharger (9.5psi @ 7000rpm)
    85mm pulley and new hyperboost DV

My Cars
    95 540i6:04 Navi
    I would think the engine bay temps would be higher resulting in higher coolant temps. I would rather repaint the hood than replace the engine and/or all the associated parts over time.

BBS RC 18X8.5 et13:245/40/18:Koni SA/H&R Sport/M5 3mm Upper Spring Pads/M5T 25mm/20mm Swaybars/Racing King Subframe Inserts/Magnaflow High Flow Cats/Magnaflow Exhaust/3 Inch Tips/Euro Clears/32%Tint/40% on Windshield/6500K HID H1's Headlights and Fogs/Depo Smilies/Factory Shadowline Trim/Shadowline Grill/93 Octane EAT Chip/M5 License Plate Holder/UUC Short Shift Kit/3.15 LSD/ More to Come...

My Cars
    Well guys, let tell you something, the VR4 Mitsu, the EVO, etc etc turboed cars, if you open the hood you will see anm aluminum wrapp just like I have in my hood.

So why a factory turbo car has this thing sticky in it's hood?

My Cars
    95 M3(T04R)Turbo,05 350Z
    Put a louver in the hood over the turbo...

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    Diego, as Mikea says, your much better off venting the hot underhood temps out .... That will protect BOTH the hood paint, AND the engine bay equipment, and keep things running cooler..... A triple threat attack is Much better than simply insulating the hood.

My Cars
    318ic '97
    I have removed even the factory insulation
    The E46 compact (maybe others too but I'm not sure) doesn't have anything there. Even the insulation on the E36 is more for sound proofing than heat insulation.
    Engineered for emotions