Thread: New front struts, ride seems harsh

My Cars
    1994 325i

New front struts, ride seems harsh

1994 318i, 126,000 miles, replaced leaky stock front struts with Boge gas. Rear shocks are still stock.The ride sure "seems" harsher than before.
    1) Do the front struts need to break in? If so, how many miles?
    2) Is it likely the stock rear shocks are now a mismatch? I'd understand that if the fronts were Bilstein's, but they aren't.
    3)Two reliable sources said replacing the rear shocks with matching Boge gas shocks whould not change the feel. What is your opinion aobut using 126,000 miles rear shocks with new front struts?
    --Thanks for any comments whatsoever.

My Cars
    07 328i, Xterra
    you ought to replace the rears because the car is going to be unbalanced with that great a discrepancy between ends.
    Now, harsh...I duno anyting about the Boge product but 'll bet it's a big difference from your wet-noodle OEM stuff.
    How long have you had the new struts? Might just need some time to get used to it. They shouldn't need to break-in. I doubt they'll change much in the next few weeks but who knows?
    Did you keept the stock springs?
    If you'd like to help fight cancer in kids, check out our Photo Annual. All proceeds go to Curesearch

My Cars
    Calypsorot 328i

New all around

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaters
    you ought to replace the rears because the car is going to be unbalanced with that great a discrepancy between ends.
    I agree with Cwaters. After 126k miles you should have switched out the backs while you were at it. As for the ride being harsher..... Well thats the difference from leaky "noodles" to outa the box new shocks. A 94' you have? Springs should be done too.

My Cars
    19 Cooper S
    Did you put bump stops on the new strut pistons?

My Cars
    325izzle
    Old shocks may have been softer coz they sucked.

Otherwise, you may have crappy balljoints and bushings which need replacing to tighten up the feeling in teh front.

My Cars
    1994 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwaters
    Now, harsh...I duno anyting about the Boge product but 'll bet it's a big difference from your wet-noodle OEM stuff.
    How long have you had the new struts? Might just need some time to get used to it. They shouldn't need to break-in. I doubt they'll change much in the next few weeks but who knows?

I did keep the original springs. This E36 is only 6 months old to new to me and I had to replace the struts (one was leaking) about two weeks ago. As mentioned originally, up to a few years ago I had an E28 on which I replaced the stock with Bilstein Heavy Duty and that was beautitful, not a thing harsh at all but very well controlled with much reduced body roll. On the E30 I owned at the same time, when I replaced stock with Boge Gas they weren't as smooth as the Bilstein. Oddly, however, it seemed like it got smoother/ softer, i.e. broke in, after many miles. I chalked that up to my imagination but it sure seemed to "break in", though it was quite a while. Nothing else changed in the entire period, not springs nor tires.

My Cars
    325izzle
    They never remarked about teh bushings etc?

Coz stiffer shocks will make you notice that stuff. Seriously.

My Cars
    1994 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by dport135
    Did you put bump stops on the new strut pistons?
    My mechanic does this work. The repair ticket does say replaced bump stops in the front. New shock mounts were previously installed a month or so ago for the rear stock shocks.

I think I should just sell the car and get one with a manual transmission then put it Bilstein Heavy Duty and springs. I have 7000 in it plus it needs $870.00 worth of body work since I wrecked the front fender. It beats the destroyed M3 I saw today at the body shop.

My Cars
    1994 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Dnz
    They never remarked about teh bushings etc?

Coz stiffer shocks will make you notice that stuff. Seriously.
    The car was gone over by my mechanic of 13 years now, a very straightforward if slightly conservative guy with a fabulous reputation. He always has too much work soo maybe he missed inspection with an eye for great handling versus just being reliable and within spec. I felt the front end tending follow ruts in the road before the struts were replaced. It doesn't seem any more noticeable in that regard. The E28's were terrible in that regard when they got worn, so I have experienced bushings before and after.

My Cars
    1994 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Dnz
    Old shocks may have been softer coz they sucked.

Otherwise, you may have crappy balljoints and bushings which need replacing to tighten up the feeling in teh front.
    It seems like you all are saying that at this point (I am not going back to change the front springs due to labor cost) I should change the rear shocks to BOGE Gas and have the bearings and bushings checked. Isn't that really the only logical course of action?

P.S. Next time around when I change to Bilstein Heavy Duty, what springs should I use? Perhaps the ones that Bavarian Auto Source sells that don't lower it and claim are not too stiff?

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Boge gas are OEM for 325s, they seem harsh cause they are new and cause your old ones were so gone.
    2004 SilberGrau M3 Coupe 6MT No roof No Power or Heated Seats No Nav

My Cars
    Too Damn Fine

For what its worth

Quote Originally Posted by wyatt
    1994 318i, 126,000 miles, replaced leaky stock front struts with Boge gas. Rear shocks are still stock.The ride sure "seems" harsher than before.
    1) Do the front struts need to break in? If so, how many miles?
    2) Is it likely the stock rear shocks are now a mismatch? I'd understand that if the fronts were Bilstein's, but they aren't.
    3)Two reliable sources said replacing the rear shocks with matching Boge gas shocks whould not change the feel. What is your opinion aobut using 126,000 miles rear shocks with new front struts?
    --Thanks for any comments whatsoever.

My mechanic and I just finished replacing the struts and shocks w/new bavauto lowering springs and the lower control arms w/new ball joints and new tie rods, and brakes for that matter and it does seem stiffer/harsher, but I believe when it all settles in and down it's gonna be sweet . . . .
    Your ball joints are shot, promise
    Good luck with your new to you bmw
    Last edited by tsbmw; 01-14-2006 at 07:28 PM.