Thread: Need advice on replacing bulb behind instrument panel

My Cars
    1992 Typhoon, use to have 1997 M3
    hi, a bulb went out on the right side(temp). what is the best way. not sure how. Thanks for your help. Steve

EricB Guest
    Hey, Colorado! Welcome!
    I dont know which bulb that is but the ones for the multi-function display are pretty easy.

Are you talking about the speedo cluster?

Who out there has replaced those bulbs?

Hey x, I'm in Aurora(home) and/or Louisville(work)

bulbs

You have to pull the whole cluster out. There are two screws in the top that hold the cluster in place. After removing the two screws, tilt the top of the cluster forward, and shimmy (side to side) the cluster out far enough to pull the connecters on one side. There are three connectors of varying size (so you can't screw it up when they go back in??) There is a little tab in the center of each connector that you have to depress, that can be a bitch. When you depress the tab, the lever will move. If it's not moving easy, you're not doing it right! After you get one side off, do the other, and pull the whole cluster forward to the steering wheel. Unlock the steering wheel, and turn the wheel to the right, and it will fall into your center console! There are 3 torx and a lever style clamp on either side (old style), or 5 torx (new style), that need to be removed. After that, the back of the cluster will come apart. From there, it will be very obvious how to get to the bulbs.

good luck.

95 318is
    POS Bosal exhaust * CAI * Sumitomo HTR Z II * Clears front and side * Aluminum Guage Faces (thx seed) * Illuminated shift knob * ///M3 mirrors *
    Infinty Kappas front (MTX 302) & rear * 2 JLAudio 12's (MTX 302)

My Cars
    Man, took me 1hr and 1/2 and didn't get anywhere. very confusing. i think i will just take it in to the dealer. Thanks for the help though Jon. Eric we should get together sometime, didn't you email me about the wheels. welcome to come and look at it. Steve

The first time I tried, I couldn't get it either. Seedster has a great page on how he changed the guage faces. It has lots of pictures. Go to www.seedster.com I promise you'll figure it out, and that way you don't have to pay dealer prices!

95 318is
    POS Bosal exhaust * CAI * Sumitomo HTR Z II * Clears front and side * Aluminum Guage Faces (thx seed) * Illuminated shift knob * ///M3 mirrors *
    Infinty Kappas front (MTX 302) & rear * 2 JLAudio 12's (MTX 302)

My Cars
    Jon, thanks for the great site, it helped alot. I finally got it done. It was easy to take apart but hard as hell to get it back together. Thanks again, Steve