Thread: I need HELP, please help me out

My Cars
    1991 318is

I need HELP, please help me out

Alright so I just finished up everything with my engine swap, m52 for m52 on a 1998 328i. I have double checked all my plugs, hoses, everything, its all done.....now the moment to start it comes, and it will spin over but not fire, I checked the plugs and they are dry, and there seems to be no spark. There must be a simple explanation for this. My check thing is clear, like I say, cranks over, but wont do shit. Anyone know something simple I am missing that could cause the car to not want to start? Some of you guys have done this before I know, so please help me out, Im sooooooo close to doing this whole thing myself and I really dont want to get it towed somewhere and miss the first startup. Thanks

-Daniel
    1991 318is. Conforti Chip, H&R sport springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Ronal LS Wheels.

My Cars
    1991 318is
    Nobody? I ask for desperate help and 20 fricken people look to see if they can help? Fuckin weak, someone has to know something.
    1991 318is. Conforti Chip, H&R sport springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Ronal LS Wheels.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    What tools do you have to that you can use to diagnose the problem?

How do you know there is no spark? Are the injectors firing?

Was the donor engine running before you installed it?

I suggest you start with the obvious things - check all connections and fuses.
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    '98 328i Convertible
    Compression/Fuel/Spark = Combustion. Compression isn't likely to be the problem since you just did a swap.. You said the plugs were dry... and there seemed to be no spark.. If you had fuel without spark you should be able to smell it when you took the plug out. Do you smell gas? Can you verify spark?
    '98 328 Alpinweiss Cabriolet, 150K, CD43, CHA-S634 MP3 Changer, Chromeline Interior Trim, 'Redlined' Gears & Diff, Z3 Chromed 16" Rims, Billet Front Stress Bar, aFe CAI, 'Golf Tee' Exhaust Mod, Powerdiscs, SS Brake Lines, CDV delete, JTD Underpanel, BAV Lowering Springs, Bilstien Sports, Bimmerworld Rear Lower Control Arms and Front Camber Plates, E46 RSM's with reinforcing plates, Electric Rad Fan, Alum. T-Stat Housing, Mishimoto Hi-Capacity Aluminum Radiator, Hi-Performance Water pump, 3.23 LSD, Sharked.
    Sometime to come: New Clutch with LWFW, Clutch Stop, M50 Manifold, M3 Cams, Supercharger (I can dream).

My Cars
    E36325 CABRIO
    check the wiring !
    when you open the switch are the fuel pump working ?
    E36 325I EURO MODEL
    M3 ORI MIRROR'S
    M3 ORI DOOR MOULDING'S
    M3 ORI FRONT BUMPER
    M3 ORI LIP SPOILER
    M3 ORI REAR BUMPER
    M3 ORI REAR BUMPER DIFUSER
    M3 ORI SIDE SKIRTS
    M3 ORI 17" WHEEL'S
    M3 STREEING WHEEL HALF LEHTER/WOOD
    VDO GAUGES PANEL
    HARDTOP
    HARDTOP LIFTER
    BILSTEIN SHOCK'S
    BREMBO DISC'S
    SUPERSPRINT END'S
    ORI CLEAR LIGHT ALL AROUND
    K&N PANEL FILTER
    Euro Angel Eye Headlight Kit(BLACK FINISH)
    CHIP
    INSIDE ORIGINAL WOOD FINISH
    MB QUART 325.02 COMP+SOUNDSTREAM AUDIO SYSTEM.
    Also e38 model and E39 model

My Cars
    boosted 323is
    maybe you have to get your ews re-aligned since its a different motor.
    2.8l engine swap, aa supercharger, m50 manifold, ///m cats swap, aa catback, fan delete, cdv delete, ///m roadster shifter, 18" wheels, ///m vaders, push button ignition, bilstiens with h&r sports, clear front and back corners,depo's with thinlines and 6k prolumens

My Cars
    1991 318is
    The fuel pump is definitely working, I know because when I disconnect the fuel lines gas is there. I know there is no spark because I pulled the coil with plug and tested it against a good ground, and there is no spark, I dont smell or see gas on the plugs. EWS could be a problem, but after speaking with quality BMW dealer guys, who I know are good, they saw EWS wont kick in with my stock ECU. Ive switched out the relays, they are fine. Im gonna go out tomorrow and troubleshoot some more, with the correct ECU in, make sure my fuel lines are correct, I know all the electrical is right, I was very thorough, and really there arent that many plugs to connect. Thanks, Ill keep you posted.

My Cars
    Harleys and a Tesla
    Check your EWS and check the fuses under your hood.

My Cars
    1991 318is
    Alright I got it running, just had to put the original ECU back in, runs alright, but the instrament cluster doesnt work now. Also, idles kinda irregular, any ideas?