Thread: E36 Weight Loss

My Cars
    BMWs galore

Question E36 Weight Loss

I want to lose as much weight as possible in my E36 328i for track duty. No street time. I don't want to spend money on carbon fiber or fiberglass, etc, if I can avoid it.

I have stripped a couple E30s for track duty - where do I look, in an E36?

Adding weight back with a cage etc will come later - I'm just looking to find where to lose the weight.

Thanks!!

My Cars
    BMW M3 LTW
    start by stripping the entire interior, and the sound deadening material under it...
    Sunir
    M3 LTW
    #22 HP

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    Change seats out for racing seats, lighter weight aftermarket exhaust, remove non essential items like radio, speakers, HVAC, rear seats, rear seat belts, spare tire (for track only - this is a safety requirement for street driving!), lighter wheels and tires, remove headliner and pillar plastic, door panels, get a light weight battery, lighter flywheel and clutch.
    2003 Ferrari Red M3 3.5L wagon // 2011 Montego Blue tri-turbo 335d wagon
    2012 Deep Sea Blue X5d // 2003 Orient Blue 330i wagon
    In progress/For Sale: 2003 Alpine White M3/ZHP wagon // 2003 Japan Red M3/ZHP wagon

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    A lot depends on what class you will be racing in, you may have to retain some stuff, better check the rule book FIRST!

if it has a sunroof, you could eliminate the track mechanism and remove the motor, and maybe even weld in sheet metal to delete the sunroof. This is top weight that raises the center of gravity. Might be a good place for fiberglass?

I'd guess the dash weighs quite a bit too, take it down to the frame, but you'll need to plan for gauges and tach. Front windows have to be rolled down anyway, may as well remove the glass. And if you can replace the other glass with the light stuff, that's some good weight there.
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan

My Cars
    99 M3; 07 335i
    You can start by using the wallet key instead of that heavy lighted key.

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    Along those lines...get a haircut, clip your finger and toe nails, use the restroom before driving, breathe out before starting your drive, and maybe drive naked.

My Cars
    1987 325is
    You guys totally forgot to shave....everything. HAHA In all honesty though, its all in how much you want to gut your car. Since the car will never see the street you might as well gut everything from the inside that you can. Look around your car and you will find that there are always little things that can be replaced. Do a search and there are a ton of threads that discuss weight loss. Just be creative...

My Cars
    M3
    3 big macs a day diet Just don't supersize it...

My Cars
    Borrowed 750Li
    Spped glass, complete rear seat delete, remove the headlights and all of the body cladding in the interior, etc.
    Can't stop what's coming. That's vanity.

My Cars
    01525i/93Burb/03ZHP
    Set the car on fire - let burn - start from there.

My Cars
    Chevrolet Silverado 2500
    Quote Originally Posted by Abrahams/101CM
    Set the car on fire - let burn - start from there.
    Just give Andrew some beer and give him a plasma cutter. He'll take care of the rest

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by M3 Pete
    A lot depends on what class you will be racing in, you may have to retain some stuff, better check the rule book FIRST!
    I'm going to reiterate this as many of the recent suggestions are illegal in BMW Prepared. Decide on which class you are going to race first and go from there.
    -Alex
    "Are you drunk again?"
    "No, I'm just exhausted because I've been up all night drinking."

My Cars
    8 BMW's & a Ford p/u
    Quote Originally Posted by aweather
    I'm going to reiterate this as many of the recent suggestions are illegal in BMW Prepared. Decide on which class you are going to race first and go from there.
    absolutely!!! this is the first place to start when doing ANYTHING to your car. decide who you want to race with and then read the rulebook. if you don't, you are guaranteed to be sorry later.