Thread: Another Custom Turbo Kit Thread...

My Cars
    1995 M3 LTW

Talking Another Custom Turbo Kit Thread...

I know some people are getting sick of these threads, but I was hoping you could help me out a bit. I am definately planning on going turbo, hopefully by the summer of 2006. I'm planning on putting together my own kit and following in trthrrt489's footsteps (he's my hero ), and I may seek help from Drifto here in town. So I thought I would run my list of basic turbo items by you all and get some input. Here goes:

- Cartech Turbo Manifold (T4, EW Flange)
    - Garrett T04B w/ 60-1 compressor (Need some help here; needs to have on center turbine housing, fit the manifold, and be good for 350-400 rwhp)
    - Cartech Downpipe / wastegate tube (on center exhaust housing required)
    - Tial 38mm Wastegate
    - Spearco Intercooler (20" x 7.9" x 3")
    - Speaco End Tanks
    - Greddy Type S BOV
    - NickG: Software, Injectors, HFM (he does OBD1 too, correct?)
    - Cartech Motor Mount
    - Greddy PRofec B Spec II Boost Controller
    - Autometer Phantom 20psi Boost Gauge
    - JetHot coating on all pipes / Manifold

- SPEC Stage 3 Clutch

- I can cut and tack weld the pipes/ IC brackets to fit
    - Drifto in town can finish by TIG welding the pipes

That, aside from the piping itself, oil feed/return lines, ect... is what I'm plannng on so far. Do you think that this is a good setup at all or do you think I need to start all over?
    Last edited by pianoman90; 03-07-2005 at 10:56 PM.

My Cars
    E34 535i TCD S3 Turbo, e46 m3
    as far as i know, a to4b will not flow 350-400 rwhp, you need to step up to a to4e b/c the housing is to small. someone please correct me if i am wrong.

TCD S3 Completed! 400 rwhp/455 tq. Tuned by Larry Strouth @ HP Works.
    www.Turbochargingdynamics.com
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...929post7215929 <-------Parts for sale

My Cars
    98' M3
    Quote Originally Posted by gol10dr1
    as far as i know, a to4b will not flow 350-400 rwhp, you need to step up to a to4e b/c the housing is to small. someone please correct me if i am wrong.
    I think you're mistaken. A t04b should flow enough for his goal of 400whp. Technique Tuning is using this compressor housing and has a hand full of cars making over 350whp.

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    Do a Spec Stage 3 clutch, the Stage 2 kevlar can glaze over.

My Cars
    2007 Audi A3 DSG, Sold-Blown estoril M3
    a boost gauge only comes in mechanical from Autometer.

My Cars
    1995 M3 LTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuasha
    Do a Spec Stage 3 clutch, the Stage 2 kevlar can glaze over.
    I looked at the stage 3, but my only concern is that the clutch will be too aggressive for street use. Is there any difference between stage 2 and stage 3 on the street?

Also concerning the turbo, I'm a bit confused on the on center turbine housing issue. I know I want a T04b with a 60-1 compressor, but what a/r would be good for the turbo and what turbine housing would be "on center?"

I'm sending an email to kalib0y about his discount on garrett turbos, but are there any good online stores for turbos?

Thanks for the replies guys.

My Cars
    2007 Audi A3 DSG, Sold-Blown estoril M3
    Spec stage 3 is the only way to go. Stay away from the stage 2. It will glaze over, than where will you be?

My Cars
    1995 M3 LTW
    OK, so stage 3 is the way to go. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't more for race/track and be all jerky.

What should I do as far as fuel is concerned. Does the software/injectors/hfm from NickG require a high flow fuel pump or is everything all right as is?
    Last edited by pianoman90; 03-07-2005 at 11:31 PM.

My Cars
    Lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by pianoman90
    OK, so stage 3 is the way to go. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't more for race/track and be all jerky.

What should I do as far as fuel is concerned. Does the software/injectors/hfm from NickG require a high flow fuel pump or is everything all right as is?
    With 350rwhp, according to Nick, you will be right at the fuel pump's maximum flow. Boris is still using his factory pump..but with 400rwhp there would definitely be a need to upgrade the fuel pump..
    915whp '98 M3 Sedan /// 37k Mile '95 M3

My Cars
    '99 M3
    I think the Turbonectics 60-1 series is with a T04E housing. That setup looks awesome. Now the tough part, start shelling out cash while not seeing a return on the investment untill all of the parts are there. Get the manifold first, that will lock in what other parts you will need. I would call Cartech and see if they have anything used.

Plan about $300 for mild steel mandrel bends and straight tube. You need 2.5 and 3''. I am assuming your gonna make an exhaust. If you want stainless its gonna be more. Then budget about $500 for vband/tbolt clamps, couplers elbows, reducers and vaccum hose.
    I went with the cheapest boost gauge summit had and it cost me 45$, then $20 for the A pillar mount.
    TEC-3R, T4 GT40, WISECO, EAGLE, SUPERTECH, O-RING'D "FRANKENSTEIN" STROKER.

My Cars
    skateboard
    How much do cartech turbo manifold's go for?

My Cars
    1995 M3 LTW
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3
    How much do cartech turbo manifold's go for?
    The manifold is $795 new, with T4 flange and external wastegate port.

The downpipe and wastegate tubing is $500.

My Cars
    skateboard
    The manifold is $795 new, with T4 flange and external wastegate port.

The downpipe and wastegate tubing is $500.
    Thanks for the info, and by the way good quote in your sig John 14:27

My Cars
    1995 M3 LTW
    Hey, I'm looking at the a price list and I'm a little lost as to which turbo I'm looking at. What part number on their price list matches a t04e turbo with the 60-1 compressor and an on-center exhaust?

I guess I'm just confused because I don't know if these turbos are complete or whether that price is for the entire turbo or if I have to piece together the housings, wheels, ect... seperately.

http://64.225.76.178/catalog/t4.html

I don't have a problem spending the money and stockpiling the parts because it's awesome to have it in the corner of the room and tell your friends, "see that, that's 350 hp of come get you some"
    Last edited by pianoman90; 03-08-2005 at 01:38 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3 LTW
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3
    Thanks for the info, and by the way good quote in your sig John 14:27
    You're welcome, and John 14:27 is my life verse so it holds a special meaning to me.

My Cars
    '99 M3
    Hey, I'm looking at the a price list and I'm a little lost as to which turbo I'm looking at. What part number on their price list matches a t04e turbo with the 60-1 compressor and an on-center exhaust?

I guess I'm just confused because I don't know if these turbos are complete or whether that price is for the entire turbo or if I have to piece together the housings, wheels, ect... seperately.

http://64.225.76.178/catalog/t4.html

I don't have a problem spending the money and stockpiling the parts because it's awesome to have it in the corner of the room and tell your friends, "see that, that's 350 hp of come get you some"
    Look at these http://www.proturbo.com/catalog/t60.html

or Turbonectics site http://www.turboneticsinc.com/turbochargers.html

You want a "Wet" center, and why not get ball bearing if you can afford it. The wet center means that you can hook up coolant lines to cool the turbo, and improve its life span.

You also want to find a T4 turbine to fit the Cartech T4 manifold. Cartech runs a .58a/r turbine in there kits and makes great power. Many who have the T3/T4 60-1 run it with a .82a/r. I will show you my dyno's and you can see if the .58 a/r(which I have) will run out of juice up top. The T4 turbine also comes in a .69a/r I think.

My Cars
    1995 M3 LTW
    So what exactly is included under the 60 series turbos when it says "60-1 HiFi Turbo Assy." for $832? So I need to buy that plus an on-center T4 Turbine housing and compressor housing?

My Cars
    '99 M3
    So what exactly is included under the 60 series turbos when it says "60-1 HiFi Turbo Assy." for $832? So I need to buy that plus an on-center T4 Turbine housing and compressor housing?
    I don't think so, but I bought mine from a private seller. I believe you can order it the way you want it........kinda like BK. Call them and ask how much a 60 series 60-1 is if you plan on high boost, or a HiFi if your going to be under 15psi, with a wet center and ball bearings would be. Doesn't hurt to ask. Then scour Ebay for T4 Mitsubishi turbos, and anything else with a T4 turbine and a 4 bolt downpipe flange. Learn how to read a compressor map so you can see what will work, and what won't. You can get some great deals on Ebay.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    I can put you in touch with the place that sold me my 60-1. I got a great deal on it. PM me if you are interested.