Thread: Front Control Arm Questions

My Cars

Front Control Arm Questions

Couple questions:

When you buy new front control arms do you return the old ones like a core charge kind of deal? If not what do you do with them?

Building on this thread a bit more:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ht=control+arm
    I'm aware that the 95 control arms are different than the 96+ control arms as this thread states, but what is actually different? The location of the outer ball joint? Along with that, just to verify the 95 control arm is meant to work with an offset LCAB where as the 96+ is meant to work with a centered LCAB right? Is there anything in the 95 LCAB "lolly pop" that locates the LCAB in the correct orentation?

TIA.
    -Alex
    "Are you drunk again?"
    "No, I'm just exhausted because I've been up all night drinking."

My Cars
    98 M3
    There isn't a core charge on M3 control arms.

The 95 arms gain caster using the control arm and bushing. The 96+ gain caster by the strut bearing. 95 = offset, 96+ = centered. There is a little nub on the bushing that aligns with the line on the lollipop.
    Sean

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Is there any advantage to using the 95 strut bearings (hats), control arms and bushings on a 96+ car?

I know different springs are required to fit the 95 bearings. I'm going to replace my springs anyway, so I'm wondering if a bearing/control arm swap would yield any improvements.
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan

My Cars
    Torque Monster
    Quote Originally Posted by SG_M3
    The 95 arms gain caster using the control arm and bushing. The 96+ gain caster by the strut bearing. 95 = offset, 96+ = centered. There is a little nub on the bushing that aligns with the line on the lollipop.
    The caster gain from the strut hat is the same for '95 and '96+ units. '96+ will give less camber than the '95 if installed as labeled, and more camber than the '95 if installed reversed.

I don't know about the control arms, if there is a different included angle for the '95 and '96+ units. I've never seen them laid on top of each other.
    Cheap and reliable isn't fast.
    Cheap and fast isn't reliable.
    Fast and reliable isn't cheap.

Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there...

My Cars
    '98 Cosmos M3
    Quote Originally Posted by aweather
    When you buy new front control arms do you return the old ones like a core charge kind of deal? If not what do you do with them?
    Paper weight, heavy ass boomerang....
    Of course I just dumped mine when I changed them.