Thread: Need major advice for purchase! HELP! (txt)

Need major advice for purchase! HELP! (txt)

I was looking at a 95' M3 with 60k on her for 17,500. Just got the pre-purchase inspection done on her and it came out to be around $2300 for all repairs including labor. What should I do?

Inspect 2, $600
    two bent front rims, $1144
    valve cover gasket leak, $127
    battery hold down broke, $76
    left front fnder skirt sop, $78
    top radiot mount broke, $14
    spare rim bent and damaged
    powersteer hose from resrvior to rack broke, $166
    micro filter dirty, 145

total $2325ish

this is all before a very vigorous MD inspection (100 pt check list).

What should I do? The private sellers knows I am highly interested. He already told me before hand he is willing to cover damaged and repairs if it isnt that much...I think 2000ish is quite a bit. Any advice is good advice right now. Going to talk to him soon about sale.

-Mark

My Cars
    M3-less

The two bent rims....

It seems a bit high to get two bent rims fixed. I have heard in the area of 100 per wheel to get them refurbished. I'm guessing that was a quote from BMW for some new wheels. When you consider that is almost half of the repairs it doesnt look so bad.

My Cars
    96 328is Sprt Pkg

Re: Need major advice for purchase! HELP! (txt)

Originally posted by KingTiger
    I was looking at a 95' M3 with 60k on her for 17,500. Just got the pre-purchase inspection done on her and it came out to be around $2300 for all repairs including labor. What should I do?

Inspect 2, $600
    two bent front rims, $1144
    valve cover gasket leak, $127
    battery hold down broke, $76
    left front fnder skirt sop, $78
    top radiot mount broke, $14
    spare rim bent and damaged
    powersteer hose from resrvior to rack broke, $166
    micro filter dirty, 145

total $2325ish

this is all before a very vigorous MD inspection (100 pt check list).

What should I do? The private sellers knows I am highly interested. He already told me before hand he is willing to cover damaged and repairs if it isnt that much...I think 2000ish is quite a bit. Any advice is good advice right now. Going to talk to him soon about sale.

-Mark
    Buy a new set of wheels and tires and sell the old ones that are still good.... will be cheaper and you can pick the new wheels

Valve cover gasket.. do it yourself.. 12.50
    top radiator mount.. 99 cents
    PS hose.. 65 dollars
    microfilter.. 19 dollars

www.bimmerparts.com

left front fnder skirt sop, $78 --- I am not sure what is wrong with it or what you mean..

Buy a bentley manual for 50 dollars and do it yourself or just goto a PRIVATE MECHANIC and get a quote.. it will be MUCH MUCH LESS then BMW

My Cars
    Estoril M3 Coupe
    It looks like the bulk of the repair costs are the rims. I agree w/the others, it would be cheaper to get some new rims (eg 18" BBS) and you will probably be happier w/the end result.

I'd be more concerned w/the reason the rims are bent. Was the car in a wreck? Have you run a carfax o it?

My Cars
    04 GTO
    Just one question - why are both front rims bent ?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i Sport (84k miles)

Check out some new wheels with tires on E-bay.

You can pick up 4 new rims with tires all day on E-bay for less than the $1144 that you were quoted for repairing 2 if you would be happy with a stock set-up. Since everyone is upgrading their wheel/tire package there is always a pretty good selection on E-bay. Since wheels were the bulk of your cost things are starting to look a little better for your purchase.

I will vouch for Bimmerparts.com, they have some great prices and I had 4 boxes of parts delivered in under a week with standard shipping. They were not BMW factory parts, but reputable names nonetheless. Their online parts finder is pretty nice as well.

Good luck!
    Later,
    Dave

E39 - 1998 540iA Sport (11/97 Production)
    E30 - 1989 M3 (44k miles)
    1979 Triumph TR7, still have my first car ;-)
    Past cars:
    E21 - 1980 320i (sold at 130k)
    E23 - 1986 735i
    I am a BMW Car Club of America member, are you? http://www.bmwcca.org/

My Cars
    97 silver 328is
    i agree witht the others...most of these things are real easy fixes.

what would be another thing to do is try to find a mechanic who specializes in bmw's. maybe somebody on the board could help you out. ask him to do the inspection. then see what happens.
    md inspection is who exactly?
    "The koalas are so hungry they are eating pine needles," "What will tourists think of a habitat of denuded trees with desperate, starving koalas roaming the damaged landscape?"

My Cars
    At the very least, sell the rear rims, go to discounttiredirect.com
    and find yourself some cheap BMW Replica Wheels, for about $700 for a full set

harsh treatment?

I have heard from others that a bent rim means the car was abused. Now could this be from pot holes and bad roads? Cause he works in DC and MD and its all city miles. There are a lot of potholes everywhere.

My Cars
    '05 997 C2, '15 JKU
    this car "looks" like it has been beaten, hard. I'd run away unless you can get them to have everything fixed at a good independent shop.
    this space reserved for pissing off liberals...

ronthebabboonslayer: "helmet guy's post is far from polluting"