Thread: What helmets do you recommend?

My Cars
    F10 M5
    I'm looking for a good helmet for track events/schools/autoXs... It seems that all the helmets out there are mostly for street bikes.
    My big problem is that when I have the helmet on in my car, I touch the ceiling, and I end up driving with my head cocked to the side!!!
    I'm only 5'11", so you'd think it wouldn't be an issue.
    So I need to find a helmet that isn't too tall. Any advice?

What web sites do you guys recommend to check out helmets.

Thanks in advance

Greg:
    2013 MCB F10 M5 BMS
    2014 Rubicon
    2007 997 Turbo
    2011 C6 Z06
    2007 Shelby GT500

My Cars
    2003 TiAg 325iT

Helmet websites

I got my Bell RSIII from Helmetcity.com

Decent prices...but you may find better.

As for the height problem, most helmets will add a few inches that will eat up what headroom you have. One thing you could try is to lower seat as far as possible...but more than likely you've already done this...

Good luck
    eeeks!

---"Angelina" '96 328isA S/C (The *sirius* ubercommuter) ERT/Vortech V2SQ with other goodies
    "Man, your car is scary fast...." *Prestige BMW, Jan.18, 2003* (sold )

---"theStealth" '03 TiAg 325iT

---ZURV1 (Zombie Urban Response Vehicle) 2010 Chevy Surburban

---bmwcca member # 179740

My Cars
    I love turbos!
    I'm in the same boat as you regarding hitting the roof w/ a helmet. The really bad part is I don't have the height that you do. I just have a long body section. Damn, no wonder everyone thinks I'm taller when I'm driving.

As for helmets, I use a full face Bell Racestar. There are other helmets out here and one brand that my friends seem to like is the Bieffe. I have been told that it is much more comfortable than other helmets. If you are on a budget, I have seen G-Force helmets for under $150, but cannot comment on them as I do not know anyone who has used them. My best advice to you is to try on the helmets in person with someone who is knowledgeable about fitment assisting you.

As for getting more clearance in your car, I really don't know about that. You may need custom seat brackets for your car that will lower seat height. If you have power seats, it's and even harder proposition. I guess you'll have to adjust the seat rake and come up with another driving position, albeit less comfortable.
    Last edited by The Beastmaster; 04-26-2001 at 04:30 PM.

Gut-b-gone Guest
    I tried a G-Force helmet and could NOT fit comfortably in my car, then tried a Bieffe Predator, and fit fine, it's a lot more compact and clears the roof better. So not all helmets have the same head clearance. I bought the Predator, though it's so expensive I'm not sure I can recommend it. Maybe get a motorcycle version of the Predator, it's a lot cheaper.

My Cars
    6.0 Z3, E36 & F80 M3
    If your to tall don't buy this one.
    http://www.schuberth.de/index2.htm

My Cars
    F10 M5
    Thanks guys!!!!!
    I'll check it out. In the mean time I'll practive slouching so I can fit in the M.

Cheers

Greg:
    2013 MCB F10 M5 BMS
    2014 Rubicon
    2007 997 Turbo
    2011 C6 Z06
    2007 Shelby GT500

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    Greg, I woudn't ever recommend buying a helmet online unless you have tried on the exact helmet in a shop somwhere. In fact, when I but a new helmet, I try it on and walk around the store for about 30-45 minutes with it on. If its still comfortable, you're in good shape.

A helmet that is just a little bit off becomes a HUGE distraction. You'll get out of your car or off your bike with a pounding headache, you'll be constantly distracted as your drive.

If you can save money by buying the helmet online, do it. But at least try it on in a shop before you buy. I generally find it better just to buy from the shop...you get your helmet and you know it wasn't dropped and beat up while it was shipped. Plus, you reward the shop for allowing you to walk around for 45 minutes with their helmet on.

My Cars
    2003 TiAg 325iT

Helmet stuff part deux

I would strongly suggest trying on the helmet as well. You get a better idea for sizing/comfort.

Ventilation on a full face helmet is also something that you can play around with in a store. Good vents really help in keeping the visor clear...and from suffocating yourself on a hot day.

Also, a tip: Try not to get an all black helmet...Sitting on the tarmac waiting for my turn at the auto-x last year practically killed me in the summer heat....Guess it also didn't help that my car is black too...sheesh...

Good luck
    eeeks!

---"Angelina" '96 328isA S/C (The *sirius* ubercommuter) ERT/Vortech V2SQ with other goodies
    "Man, your car is scary fast...." *Prestige BMW, Jan.18, 2003* (sold )

---"theStealth" '03 TiAg 325iT

---ZURV1 (Zombie Urban Response Vehicle) 2010 Chevy Surburban

---bmwcca member # 179740

My Cars
    F10 M5
    Bryan,
    You made me laugh for a moment... I pictured myself walking around a store half the afternoon with a helmet on, making driving noises up and down aisles.

Both you and eeks make a good point. I recall being at autoXs with a major headache from a squeazed skull.
    I also recall thinking I was getting cooties from the loaner helmets because of some drooling SCCA junkies. That counts for at least 1 sec time loss!!

Thanks again boyz

Greg:
    2013 MCB F10 M5 BMS
    2014 Rubicon
    2007 997 Turbo
    2011 C6 Z06
    2007 Shelby GT500

My Cars
    I love turbos!
    Bryan & Eeks,
    Well said about wearing the helmet for 30-45 minutes to make sure of a proper fit and that it won't give you a headache. I know I said this before, but...In Honolulu, I couldn't find a helmet store and I told my bro about Bell Motorsport in Oakland. He went there and tried it on and sent me the helmet for my B-day. We used to wear the same size helmet, but I put on a few pounds since then. Well the helmet gets here and I do the trial fit, but get really bored. I do some work on the computer, then go outside for a while. Neighbors think I'm weird or something wearing a helmet. When I get back in the house, the cats see me and head for the hills cause some alien has invaded their home. Fraidy cats. All in all, everything worked out fine. Bell even said if the fitment was wrong to just send it back and swap out for a different size.

BTW, Greg, if you wear glasses, make sure they have substantial arms on them. My titanium glasses are light, but the arms are so thin, it was difficult to get the glasses between the helmet and my face and over my ears. Luckily my backup pair had a more rigid frame.

Steve S Guest
    I got my Bell M2 closed face SA95 helmet from Racer Wholesale for only $269 or thereabouts. Don't buy a helmet without first trying on that exact make, model, and size.

Good luck.

http://www.racerwholesale.com