Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: DIY: Cleaning/Replacing Idle Control Valve (ICV)-

My Cars
    1998 M3
    im gonna help you out a bit, for me and everyone else reading!

Quote Originally Posted by CorbanTek View Post
    Here are my DIY Pictures of my ICV Removal on my '99 M3 (I couldn't find anything on the net for that year)

Before:

Removal of Airbox and Alternator Ducting:

Removal of MAS Assembly:

Throttle Body Removal and ICV Location:

ICV:

I cleaned my ICV and now my car idles great and its fixed all my cold start problems. Good Luck all you 99 M3 people...

My Cars
    98 528i
    What's best to clean the ICV with?

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3, 2002 E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVANT123 View Post
    Excellent write up, this should be stickied. This is a good time for all you OBDII guys to install that M50 intake manifold too! Better idle and more top end power, what else could you ask for?
    uh..more useable low-end torque?

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Quote Originally Posted by BORGERDING View Post
    Cleaner

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by greatcasa View Post
    Just a thought for anyone who doesn't want pull everything out. Sea Foam is a great treatment for degumming and decarboning your engin and if you put it in using the small vacuum line going in the ICV, the cleaner will pass through it on its way into the engine. I would think as long as your ICV valve is good, even if its really dirty, a couple of these treatments over a couple thousand miles will clean it up nicely. Just did mine today and my idle jump completely stopped. The stuff if cheap and boy you can see all the carbon crap that comes out of your tailpipe in smoke form after doing it. Do a search on the forum for seam foam and the thread talking about how to do the treatment should come up.
    Where does the other end of the ICV vacuum line connect to on a '95 S50?

My Cars
    98' Silver M3 Coupe
    i got mine out with only removing the throttle body. quite simple really, your DIY requires more work than is necessary. Great write-up though!
    05' 330i ZHP - Titanium Silver / Black Leather - Premium Pkg, Xenon HID's, AFE Scoops, Shark Injector, Electric Fan Conversion, Dr. Vanos, Full Tint, 70k Miles!!

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 YZF-R1, 95 F-250 PSD, 01 Shadow 750
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmaDave View Post
    i got mine out with only removing the throttle body. quite simple really, your DIY requires more work than is necessary. Great write-up though!
    Thats because yours is a 97 M3 and the ICV is up front above the alternator, the 99 M3 had the ICV relocated to the back behind the dipstick. I added those pictures because there wasn't any writeups for the 99 year...

My Cars
    '97 M3/4, ''23 T4R Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BORGERDING View Post

Carb cleaner works very well for this.

My Cars
    e39 M5, e36 M3 vert
    Great write up, really not as hard as I expected.
    Start up hesitation is gone!

My Cars
    95 M3
    I did mine without taking off the manifold it was a pain.

My Cars
    e39 M5, e36 M3 vert
    Quote Originally Posted by ptldM3 View Post
    I did mine without taking off the manifold it was a pain.
    It's definitely not necessary to take off the Intake manifold on the '99 cars (maybe all OBD2?).

So great, there's the single advantage of OBD2 over OBD1

My Cars
    1997 bmw m3 sedan
    Thanks for the great detailed write up.

My Cars
    1993 330is
    Is there any difference between a an S50 motor and an OBD 1 M50 motor in regards to doing this?
    Nick:
    1993 BMW 325is, 230K miles, S50+5speed swap
    Misc. E36 parts for sale, including an M3 rear subframe, black interior parts and headlights
    PM me for more info

My Cars
    Bmw 318s e36

running rich

My o2 sensor was disconnected when i bought my 318is (didnt know until i took the ICV out to clean it). Plugged it in and the revs were fluctuating between 1800 - 2000rpms and there was a smell of petrol as though the car was running rich.

Replaced the ICV with one i got from scrappys but i get the same thing so i'm running the car with the ICV disconnected. Any ideas whats wrong? I'm getting the o2 sensor replaced next week to see if thats the problem.

My Cars
    are slow.
    good thread, cleaning my ICV and changing my spark plugs turned my car into a champ on cold starts. Idles PERFECTLY now
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    328is

sorry for bringing back the past, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Julz69 View Post
    So in doing this on my 97, do you guys think it will help my random missfire also?
    I got the same question as Julz,

Will this help my misfire too?

My idle is bouncy, but I know I have a misfire. A dirty ICV wouldnt be the cause of this would it?

My Cars
    06/95 m3
    OP--->very nice write up did it today took me about 2 hours but im slow and made sure i cleaned up everything very well.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaBimma View Post
    Hey guys, just wanted to let you know I did the ICV cleaning today and i did with WITHOUT taking off the manifold and i have pretty big fat hands so it can easily be done. took me about 1 hours to do ICV and another hour to do throttle body. If you are planning on doing Big Bore throttle body it is the perfect timing to clean ICV. I tried to used toothbrush but it was honestly waste of time b/c toothbrush head is just too big. I just used half a can of Teflon safe throttle body cleaner and man it looks brand spanking new now. I also sprayed a bit of silicone lubricant to keep the flap extra lubricated. I also completely bypassed at the coolant lines both to clean make everything less messy and also for performance reasons. The hardest part was getting the ICV out in my opinion b/c the damn rubber had been there for so long it kinda got stuck but once i got it out i gave it a extensive cleaning and just used those shop paper towles and it looks perfect now. When you take out throttle body, HFM, reducer, intake, and Alternator cooling duct there is plenty of room to work underthere. If you really want even more room you can take out the front intake manifold support brace and then everything would be even easier to take out / put in. car idles much much better already ( im sure some of that has to do with bigger throttle body). The car idles super smooth now and alot of the misfires at idle are now gone. car sounds much healthier at idle and idle has gone up just a tad. overall i'm very happy. you can take off the intake manifold if you want but its really not necessary at all and it will only add time to the cleaning process.,

my 2 cents
    true i did not take off the manifold, dont be afraind to take the hoses out with the ICV they are simply connected to the intake elbow and are sized differently so no mistake putting them back. Disconnect the upper ICV hose from the inside behind the throttle body. and snake them through the rest of the hoses/lines. if someone already mentioned this good if not try it.

my idle still seems a little high (about 900 rpm) after driving for about 10 mins at a time twice but it seems to be settling in, no surges so far.
    THANKS GENTS
    Last edited by mstaytru247; 09-25-2009 at 05:54 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by varmint007 View Post
    It's definitely not necessary to take off the Intake manifold on the '99 cars (maybe all OBD2?).
    Definitely true. I did mine without taking off the throttle body either. You just have to know what you're looking/feeling for.

I cleaned mine with throttle body cleaner. It probably took 1hr.

My Cars
    1998 M3 fo' do' 5-spd
    How does it work connecting/fitting the end of the ICV into the manifold?? Was doing an ASC delete and in the process I replaced the hose from the ICV but can’t remember how to hook up the ICV back to the manifold??

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234