Thread: Alarm Goes Off When Maintaining Battery

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport

Alarm Goes Off When Maintaining Battery

I have a basic Noco battery tender on my '98 M3 since I only drive the car once a month, at best. All windows up, I have a board on the trunk seal so when I close the trunk, the light turns off, and the cable isn't crimped, and the car IS NOT LOCKED. When I want to drive the car, i'll unplug the charger, and when I open the drivers door, the alarm goes off. The charger is just a tender, so it's just making sure the battery stays topped off, but again, I never lock the car. Why would my alarm go off? Also, the alarm sound isn't crisp, it sounds all 1970's bad digital, like a dial-up modem.
    '98 M3 5spd - '03 540it 6spd M-Sport

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    What alarm is installed on the car?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

Alarm Goes Off When Maintaining Battery

Quote Originally Posted by QtheGenius View Post
    I have a basic Noco battery tender on my '98 M3 since I only drive the car once a month, at best. All windows up, I have a board on the trunk seal so when I close the trunk, the light turns off, and the cable isn't crimped, and the car IS NOT LOCKED. When I want to drive the car, i'll unplug the charger, and when I open the drivers door, the alarm goes off. The charger is just a tender, so it's just making sure the battery stays topped off, but again, I never lock the car. Why would my alarm go off? Also, the alarm sound isn't crisp, it sounds all 1970's bad digital, like a dial-up modem.
    I connect my battery maintainer under the hood, to the ground post and battery post in the back corner of the engine compartment. Then I run the wires out the front of the engine compartment, tucking them in the gap between headlight and parking light, so the hood can fully close without pinching the wires.

My car is in a private garage. I keep the doors locked, but do not enable the alarm. Are you sure there isn't an auto enable function enabled on the alarm? On my car I need to "double lock" the doors for the alarm to be enabled (press the Lock button on the key fob twice).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RBNetEngr; 04-16-2024 at 02:05 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    What alarm is installed on the car?
    Factory alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by RBNetEngr View Post
    I connect my battery maintainer under the hood, to the ground post and battery post in the back corner of the engine compartment. Then I run the wires out the front of the engine compartment, tucking them in the gap between headlight and parking light, so the hood can fully close without pinching the wires.

My car is in a private garage. I keep the doors locked, but do not enable the alarm. Are you sure there isn't an auto enable function enabled on the alarm? On my car I need to "double lock" the doors for the alarm to be enabled (press the Lock button on the key fob twice).
    I don't use the fob or key to lock the car. If it isn't on the charger/maintainer, then I don't have this issue. In fact, I NEVER had it before I started using this maintainer. The tender I have, unfortunately, uses loops to go through a bolt to connect. It doesn't have clamps like a normal charger, so I'd have to modify the cable to connect under the hood.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Factory alarm.

I don't use the fob or key to lock the car. If it isn't on the charger/maintainer, then I don't have this issue. In fact, I NEVER had it before I started using this maintainer. The tender I have, unfortunately, uses loops to go through a bolt to connect. It doesn't have clamps like a normal charger, so I'd have to modify the cable to connect under the hood.
    There is no such thing as a factory alarm on North America E36. They are all dealer / port / after purchase installed and an OEM Alpine product... either A269ZUA110 (2-button Remotes) or A269ZUA070 (3-button Remotes). No E36 destined for here came with anything installed in the car, period.

So again. What alarm system do you have and are you sure it is OEM? You have the Alpine siren, but the LED is missing from your interior. It could have some aftermarket integration, but I can't tell. You also have a pretty big mess of wiring on that car so who knows what has been done, undone, and/or redone.

Last edited by Braymond141; 04-16-2024 at 07:26 PM.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    This tomfoolery with the board on the trunk light switch and whatever weird tender you're using has got to go.

"I'm doing weird stuff and it's causing OTHER weird stuff I didn't expect" is always going to be near impossible to troubleshoot.

Go to Walmart, get a cheap $20 tender with NORMAL clamps, hook it up under the hood on the factory posts like normal, and then let us know if you're still having issues.

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport
    Braymond, I applaud your research for scouring the forum for a picture of my engine bay. I have the two button remote, and I did install it after I bought the car since it didn't come with any fob or alarm. The "mess of wires" are for the angel eyes (yellow on the left, white in the back), and I do have LED headlights (the wiring behind the headlights). None of that has to do with the alarm.

blckstrm, I will try that approach.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Braymond, I applaud your research for scouring the forum for a picture of my engine bay. I have the two button remote, and I did install it after I bought the car since it didn't come with any fob or alarm. The "mess of wires" are for the angel eyes (yellow on the left, white in the back), and I do have LED headlights (the wiring behind the headlights). None of that has to do with the alarm.

blckstrm, I will try that approach.
    I know what the wiring is for. The point was there is some inappropriate work there which typically means there is more going on with the car.

What you are describing isn't typically an issue with the ZUA110 module. If the system was never armed, it shouldn't go off unless there is a low voltage situation that is happening as that really screws with electronics.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    NOCO tenders are good products. I know for a fact that they come with both the eyelets and clamps in the package.

Also, eyelets connected directly to the battery are totally standard. That's how I have my CTEK hooked up. Closing the trunk as normal on the lead is totally fine, no crimping or damage to the paint or seal.

If someone is reading this thread wondering what tender to buy, the answer is Deltran Battery Tender Plus. I think both NOCO and CTEK's theorectically better battery maintaining tech is totally overkill for simple a E36.
    Last edited by sfcarguy; 04-17-2024 at 11:43 PM.
    1995 M3/2/5 Dakar Yellow (267)

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I used to have a Battery Tender but it died after ten years of use. I now have a pair of these, from Harbor Freight. Two of them for a little more than the price of one Battery Tender.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4amp-f...ner-63350.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1996 M3 Evo saloon
    I think they all die eventually. I've had two CTEKs go at around 15 years of age.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by jeyjey View Post
    I think they all die eventually. I've had two CTEKs go at around 15 years of age.
    And when one dies, in due time, so does the battery it was 'maintaining'.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI