RM European Auto Parts

Thread: technical question regarding alternator and voltage regulator

My Cars
    Hellrot

technical question regarding alternator and voltage regulator

Well I swapped out my working 80 amp alternator for a used 140 amp. I finally got around to removing the back cover off my old alternator and realized that the voltage regulator's bottom prong, the one toward the coils is all worn down, to less than a cm. I have ordered a new one.

MY question is:

The prong that is all worn down gets in contact with a contact that spins with the fan/pulley. This part is actually worn down a bit aswell, not too much but it is obvious with regard to the not so worn prong counterpart that it has worn down, can this part be changed aswell?

thanks

I'll try taking some pics, this may be able to help people fix their alt whine/squeek without having to get a new one.

My Cars
    87 325is
    Are you referring to one of the brushes that contact the slip ring inside of the alternator? The brushes are made of a graphite material and will wear down with time, but the won't (in general) cause any audible noise.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    Hellrot
    well, if one were to remove the voltage regulator there is a rolo sized copper piece right in the middle that the two prongs on the voltage regulator come in contact with as the alternator spins via the pulley and belts.