RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Fuel pump wired directly to the battery?

My Cars
    '84 BMW 318i...

Fuel pump wired directly to the battery?

What drawbacks would be related to having the fuel pump wired directly to the battery? Battery drain? Dealership says they can't get it to work running the fuel pump through the fusebox, so...

Thanks!!!

Rolly

My Cars
    05 Mustang GT, 92 Miata
    Um, not having the fuel pump shut off when you shut the car off is one downside...
    -Boondoggie

My Cars
    88 M3, 72 MGB, 82 VW Scirocco, 71 Impala, more
    Your dealer mechanics are knuckleheads if they can't fix this. The fuel pump relay runs the fuel pump when the key is on and it can see a "Tach" signal, and maybe it runs it when the key is in "start" regardless, depending on exactly how your 318 is set up.

Generally its' possible to jumper the fuel pump relay and you can drive the car like this, but the fuel pump will keep on pumping after the motor stalls for whatever reason. Makes a fire more likely if you crash.

This kind of thing is usually a dirty connection where the wires make a mechanical joint. This takes patience to track down (which dealer mechanics never have) but it is easy to fix - clean the contact and be on your way having spent time and not money.

Taking a car beyond 5 years old to the dealer is usually not the best route. The indy shops will do a better job as well as be cheaper. Of course some dealers have some good mechanics, maybe a guy who specializes in the E30 M3 for example. But in general the indy shops are better.

Mark

My Cars
    '84 BMW 318i...
    The dealership is a multi-brand used car lot... not a BMW dealership... and YES, the mechanics are knuckleheads/idiots/morons.
    The literally ran a wire from the battery through the cabin and to the fuel pump. They expected me to pop the hood and connect/disconnect the wire on the battery to get it to shutoff or start.
    I told them I am not taking the deathtrap and I should get a trade tomorrow. They have a VW Golf on the lot (and I have a VW mechanic as a close friend.).

Thanks.
    (Sucks athat I just spent $80 on the fuel pump relay too only to find out that the car is not coming home with me again. Anyone need a stock fuel pump relay?)

Rolly

My Cars
    88 M3, 72 MGB, 82 VW Scirocco, 71 Impala, more
    Perhaps you want to think about shopping for cars at a different place? Did you just buy this 318 from this outfit?

If you didn't install the FP relay maybe you can take it back to the store where you bought it - usually un-installed electrical parts are returnable. Otherwise post here in the E30 forum, you can probably find someone who will buy it, although it's now officially "used" and so won't be worth full price probably.

XOC is offline Existentially Confounded
    My Cars
    Ninety-Nine SuperCharged TechnoViolet Em Three
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinwardle
    The dealership is a multi-brand used car lot... not a BMW dealership... and YES, the mechanics are knuckleheads/idiots/morons.
    The literally ran a wire from the battery through the cabin and to the fuel pump. They expected me to pop the hood and connect/disconnect the wire on the battery to get it to shutoff or start.
    I told them I am not taking the deathtrap and I should get a trade tomorrow. They have a VW Golf on the lot (and I have a VW mechanic as a close friend.).
    Rolly
    WOW. Please tell me what place this is so I make sure stay very far away from them. OMFG!
    Lee

My Cars
    current: e30 325i 1989,
    Lol, I'm pretty sure I saw this car up on Ebay. I'll try to finad a link.

My Cars
    current: e30 325i 1989,
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

Same car?

edit: maybe not, just noticed the different locations.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by M3 Mitch
    If you didn't install the FP relay maybe you can take it back to the store where you bought it - usually un-installed electrical parts are returnable.
    This would be a surprise to me. I've never known a place to accept electrical components unless in the original, unopened packaging.
    Even then, it's a longshot.

My Cars
    325 eta
    [QUOTE=gato]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW[QUOTE]
    Nice. Was he going for the cabon fiber look on the hood? Or is he trying to hide engine fire damage?
    Jesus did not start a religion. He showed us a way to live. He didn't ask people to repent so they could follow Him, but by following Him they learned how to repent. He did not judge people and made no demands of them, only to allow Him to love them; openly, fearlessly and unconditionally.
    bfc's token Christian
    325e Black Sedan RIP