Thread: 'cat and mouse" through the canyon

My Cars
    '15 GLA 45

"cat and mouse" through the canyon

I pulled up to a stoplight about an hour ago right next to a beautifull blue E36 M3. The car looked liked it had been well maintained and I noticed it even had a new set of tires. It looked like it was tinted too. I looked over and he must have taken it as a challenge because when I looked away I heard him rev. No way. I gotta another 250 miles of engine breakin before I can open this thing up. I've waited this far so...

When the light turns green he toasts the tires a little and scampers across the intersection. Once he saw I wasn't racing he let off a little. We only had about 1/4 mile of straightaway left before the road we were on becomes a 2 lane road and cuts a path through the foothills connecting Contra Costa and Alameda County. Since it's only a 2 lane road (double yellow) I hate getting stuck behind slow drivers before I go over the hill. Just to make sure this guy was aware of that I sped up just enough to get my headlights in his rear view in order to politely remind him he'll need to get his ass in gear or get out of the way and let me pass. He sped up and chose the former.

Once the twisties start the guy in the M3 goes into qualifying mode. He's off!

I follow suit and keep a stready 20-30 yard gap between us the entire time...all while keeping the revs under 5K RPM's.

There were a couple spots where I could tell he was pushing it because the M3 twitched a little bit in the rear once he'd straightened it back out after a quick, sharp turn. I skidded a couple times too but it was more tire noise than anything else and I was able to keep my line with minimal effort.

At the bottom of the hill he turned on his flashers and then reached his hands out the sunroof and started clappiing. Haha. He was impressed I think. We both new this road well but I imagine that was one of the only times he couldn't shake somebody. Maybe next time I'll be up front.

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe
    awesome. always a nice feeling when the challenged acknowledges a running against a great car.

is it pouring rain over there too, if it was then you're nuts

great run nevertheless

My Cars
    Former 330ti pilot.
    Congrats on the new Evo, Steiner! When did you get it? How you liking it?
    Kiley- '05 MR

My Cars
    '15 GLA 45
    Thanks guys. The roads were damp in places but it wasn't raining. I got the new car on Tuesday.

My Cars
    2001 M3,1994 camaro
    cat and mouse is a great game to play! Nice to hear that you play well with the m3's though
    muh ha ha ha ha

My Cars
    Former 330ti pilot.
    Cool that you got an RS. That's where it is at right now. Got a picture? What happened to the SRT-4?

I am in the midst of getting a new vehicle right now, and if I didn't need a truck so bad, an RS would be in my top 3 choices. I can't wait for that "new car smell"!
    Kiley- '05 MR

My Cars
    '15 GLA 45
    Quote Originally Posted by kiley_sean
    Cool that you got an RS. That's where it is at right now. Got a picture? What happened to the SRT-4?

I am in the midst of getting a new vehicle right now, and if I didn't need a truck so bad, an RS would be in my top 3 choices. I can't wait for that "new car smell"!
    I sold the SRT-4 on Saturday. Sorry to see it go but the Evo has done a great job of helping me forget.

My Cars
    00 sc Roadie
    Nice job! I like those sorts of runs better than a straight up race anyway.
    Some ladies like a hand-held. I prefer to drive mine.

My Cars
    6 pots, 2 snails
    what road where you on stiener?

Originally Posted by m3fuz:The sock represents all that is OT - filthy, sweaty, smelly, a bit retarded, but you just want to envelop yourself in it. Beware the sock.

My Cars
    '15 GLA 45
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoastBias
    what road where you on stiener?
    Crow Canyon...going east.

My Cars
    6 pots, 2 snails
    Quote Originally Posted by Steiner
    Crow Canyon...going east.
    niiiice.

we should do that run together after you get your break in finished

Originally Posted by m3fuz:The sock represents all that is OT - filthy, sweaty, smelly, a bit retarded, but you just want to envelop yourself in it. Beware the sock.

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by Steiner
    I sold the SRT-4 on Saturday. Sorry to see it go but the Evo has done a great job of helping me forget.
    I have to say, you made the right choice.
    -Chaz
    My SSK Faq (primarily e36 M3)

Don't PM Me. My box is way overfilled from when I was a mod. Email me if you have to get a hold of me.

My Cars
    '15 GLA 45
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoastBias
    niiiice.

we should do that run together after you get your break in finished
    Sounds good. Only another 150 miles...it's killing me!