Thread: UUC Underdrive Pulley installed!

My Cars
    M Roadster

UUC Underdrive Pulley installed!

Edited: To remove exhibition of my dumbassness.

The 63" belt supplied seemed too lose, so I went and bought a 62" belt and put it on. Did you know those things cost about $25!

FYI: The water pump pulley bolt pattern is not square, it is rectangular. It's a pita to get those bolts started, and having to pull it off when only two bolts will go in isn't fun.

The good thing is that I did away with the ticking/ whining noise by replacing all of my tensioner pulleys and the idler pulley. Why is it called an idler pulley? I have no idea which one was bad. They all spun freely without making noise when they were off.

Even though my belt barely fit the pulleys would spin when I went to torque them. The belt doesn't slip while running though.
    Last edited by M Roady; 02-16-2005 at 06:49 PM.

98 ///M Roadster - Sharked, FDK, twin Magnaflows, UUC Stage II Flywheel, OEM M5 Clutch, UUC TME Red & Enforcers, Zimmerman rotors, Cosmos CAI, ProjectorZs w DDE, 6K HIDs, fatter rubber on the corners, UUC Underdrive Pulleys, and Stewart High Performance water pump

My Cars
    2003 330xi
    and butt dyno says...?

My Cars
    M Roadster
    I couldn't tell much difference around town. First gear still breaks the tires loose with throttle input, and second doesn't for the most part. Maybe a little more pull near the top of a gear. It is really hard to judge in first and second gear.

Also, the new tensioner/idler pulleys were a lot stiffer than the ones I pulled off so they are probably going to be a slight drag until they loosen up.

98 ///M Roadster - Sharked, FDK, twin Magnaflows, UUC Stage II Flywheel, OEM M5 Clutch, UUC TME Red & Enforcers, Zimmerman rotors, Cosmos CAI, ProjectorZs w DDE, 6K HIDs, fatter rubber on the corners, UUC Underdrive Pulleys, and Stewart High Performance water pump

My Cars
    Z3 3.0i Roadster, E39 530i, Toyota Previa S/C
    Quote Originally Posted by Z Couper
    Notice singular? The water pump pulley isn't underdrive. It was the same size, if not marginally larger than the stock pulley. The lip was definitely a higher diameter, the friction surface looked about the same diameter. I installed it anyway, but I wouldn't call it an underdrive pulley.
    hmmm... i guess there are differences between the UDP's being sold. I got the Rogue Engineering ones and these were the measurements:

Stock BMW:
    W+P / 7.0oz, 200g / 12.3cm
    P+S / 6.5oz, 185g / 13.5cm

Rogue Engineering:
    W+P / 9.0oz, 250g / 13.2cm / 6.9% underdrive
    P+S / 9.5oz, 270g / 14.8cm / 8.8% underdrive

total underdrive = 15.7%

oh, i should mention, this was for M54 not the S52...

My Cars
    M Roadster
    OK, I'm a dumbass. I got my sizing backwards.

My Cars
    OK, I'm a dumbass. I got my sizing backwards.
    huh??

My Cars
    M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerZ5
    huh??
    Underdrive pulleys are bigger. I knew that, but for some reason when I compared the stock water pump pulley to UUCs it slipped my mind and I thought it should be the other way around. So I posted my complaint about that, then realized my folley rather quickly.

My Cars
    Underdrive pulleys are bigger. I knew that, but for some reason when I compared the stock water pump pulley to UUCs it slipped my mind and I thought it should be the other way around. So I posted my complaint about that, then realized my folley rather quickly.
    i thought you were saying that the water pump pulley was essentially the same size? the RE UDP's were definitely larger than stock for the M54. It would be interesting to know what their exact diameter and weight is...

My Cars
    M Roadster
    Well, I'm going to go test them out on the bridge.

My Cars
    '14 GLK250, '13 Abarth
    Well, I'm going to go test them out on the bridge.
    You mean you're gonna jump off it for confusing the sizes? C'mon, man, we like you!

1999 Cosmos Black/Dove Grey BMW ///M3 convertible - 5 speed - SOLD

2005 Atlantic Blue Pearl/Taupe Leather Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Wagon - 5 speed
    - SOLD

2014 Tenorite Grey/Black Mercedes-Benz GLK 250 - bone stock.

2013 Bianco/Rosso Abarth 500c - 5 speed

2016 Oxford White/Grey Ford Transit 250 Powerstroke 148 MR (DIY RV conversion)

My Cars
    M Roadster

I'm pretty sure there is a little extra near the top end of the gears. Hit a new top speed for a certain section of roadway. As you'd expect, this isn't a <font color=red><blink>WOW!!!</blink></font> mod for an already modded S52. Just another step.

I thought a Z28 was going to test me from a dig, he spun his tires taking off then I got on it and left him (getting sideways in second) but he'd already let up. I noticed he had a female passenger and as soon as I'd pulled next to him (and threw a little rev) his attention seemed to go to her. I suspect she said "NO!" and he couldn't resist a little acceleration.

Edit: My car rocks!
    Last edited by M Roady; 02-16-2005 at 09:09 PM.

My Cars
    that I love, each in their own way...
    Why is it called an idler pulley?
    The idler pulley's only function is to route the belt for the other essential pulleys. Sometimes direct belt routes aren't possible so an idler is neccessary.
    '77 Westy, '99 ///M Coupe, '17 Alltrack

My Cars
    M Roadster
    Thanks! So it is idle. I was wondering what it had to do with the cars idle, until I pulled it off and realized it could have absolutely nothing to do with the cars idle.

My Cars
    E36 M3

The 63" belt supplied seemed too lose, so I went and bought a 62" belt and put it on. Did you know those things cost about $25!
    Anyone else have this problem? I just ordered some and would hate to have to buy a new belt.

My Cars
    M Roadster
    63" May have been OK, just the pulleys spun so easily. I'm just going to "return it" to a parts store other than the one where I bought the 62". The 62" will at least move the tensioner before it spins the pulleys.

You might have one on hand during the install, just in case.