Thread: Need new HID setup, but I have some old parts...

My Cars
    99 M3, 2008 335i

Need new HID setup, but I have some old parts...

Hey guys,

I have this current xenon setup with D2S hella ballasts/phillips bulbs, but my left bosch unit got destroyed, so now I don't know what to do because almost everything is H1 out there.

The bosch unit was originally modifed to take D2S bulbs, so I can't just buy one headlight to replace it and I def. do not have the technical expertise to modify one myself.

Ugh. I really want to get my HID's back because I liked them a lot. I just feel stupid selling my high quality (from a 5 series) parts to buy a new set of ZKW's with off-brand ballasts/bulbs from Umnitza or something.

Any thoughts on what to do to get a D2S setup that will let me keep my current Xenon stuff? I have already accepted that I'm going to need to throw away my passenger side Bosch assembly.

-Allen
    99 Cosmos M3 with Modena Interior.
    -Carbonio CAI
    -Bilstein F/R Shocks
    -SS Brake Lines
    -K-mac Camber Plates

My Cars
    '04 330ci zhp
    If the projector is not destroyed, you could easily take that out and place it in a ZKW/Depo/another Bosch.

Otherwise, suck it up and learn how to convert a Bosch to take the D2S bulb, that's what I would do. Contact the person you bought the lights from and ask him how he did it, otherwise visit www.hidplanet.com for advice on the forums.

Is your left passenger Bosch really that bad? If it's just the glass that shattered, you can buy a replacement glass.

My Cars
    99 M3, 2008 335i
    Man, the left one is pretty done. The projector broke in half...etc.

I'm going to just call it toast...

I'll check the link. Thanks!
    -Carbonio CAI
    -Bilstein F/R Shocks
    -SS Brake Lines
    -K-mac Camber Plates

My Cars
    M3/4
    It's going to depend on what projectors you can find. I think you're right, everything's H1 or H7 out there, but YNK. That's going to determine what you do. You could probally keep the ballasts and just replace the bulbs for whatever fitment you'll end up getting. Just bulbs is going to run you somewhere between $150-$200. You just need to adapt the ballasts to take the connectors for the new bulbs.

You might want to e-mail jsp98m3 and see what he's got laying around on the shelf. Jim's got some pretty odd parts and pieces. He may have a bosch headlight....

My Cars
    99 M3, 2008 335i
    Nice, thanks for the response hal9000.

I didn't realize it was easy to modify ballasts...how much effort are we talking? Like a 30 min job?

I can buy new bulbs...that won't break the bank.
    -Carbonio CAI
    -Bilstein F/R Shocks
    -SS Brake Lines
    -K-mac Camber Plates

My Cars
    M3/4
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs76
    Nice, thanks for the response hal9000.

I didn't realize it was easy to modify ballasts...how much effort are we talking? Like a 30 min job?

I can buy new bulbs...that won't break the bank.
    Hardest part of the job's going to be getting to the ballasts. If you've ever crimped connectors together and you've got the right crimper, it's literally 5 min to do both sides. I know Jim's got xtec bulbs and connectors because I've got a set of them on the floor next to me. I'm replacing Mr. Jung bulbs with a matching set of xtech hid's and h1 halogens (fogs/highs). Now I just gotta find the hour for me to do it all :-(. Way too much work.

If you're go e-mail jim, do it quick, he's going out of town on Thurs.