Thread: Questions about buying an M3

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo

Questions about buying an M3

Hiya guys - glad I stumbled upon this place. Im in the market for a used M3 as of late. I think of decided on a 1995, but Im open to suggestions. There are some things that, after researching, I still dont understand. I also have some concerns about reliability, anyway they are listed below, thanks for your help. =)

1. What is the difference between the 3.0L and the 3.2L engines? (Besides displacement). I know the 3.0 is more easily modified... but why?
    2. Im parting with a Porsche 951 (944 Turbo) that I loved to death, but I need something I can drive the hell out of everyday without worrying about breaking it. Maintanence on the P-car was a nightmare, I easily payed in maint. what I bought the car for. Yes, BMW's arent Fords, but I can generally expect to pay a reasonable amount for parts, correct?
    3. Reliability... I was shocked at how many "Blown engine" threads I saw. As many problems as P-cars have, the engine is not one of them. They are usually refered to as bulletproof (with the exception of the 2.7L mid 70's 911 engine). How are these cars? Im hoping to gain alot of confidence in driving the vehicle without any hickups when I purchase one. Are there any problems with the E36 that I should look out for and which engine is more "solid" the 3.0L or the 3.2L?
    4. Anything Im missing? Basically what I need to fit the bill is a mid 90's M3 that has reasonable mileage, and was well taken care of... of course it needs to be black on black... and I might have to stick some BBS's on it... and supercharge it... but all that fun comes later.

Thank you

My Cars
    M3, 993, PSD Excursion, Fox Body Mustang
    I just bought my '97 M3 last week and I love it. After seeing my neighbor dump thousands into his 928 I decided no Porsche for me

The main difference is the computers, '95 is OBDI and is easier to modify. 96+ are OBDII and are more difficult to modify.

Parts can be found online for cheap, but labor is still expensive. Try to do as much yourself as possible.

The E36s are bullet proof, but on the '95 and early 96 models you should replace the H2O pump with one with a metal impeller, the radiator necks crack around 100,000K miles. Other than that, don't shift into 3rd when you are going for 5th and the engine will not give you any trouble. Some people say all M3s have some valve train noise, but adding an extra 1/2 quart to a quart on oil changes fixes that and gives you insurance when open tracking or autocrossing the car. I'm sure other can add to this, but all-in-all they are reliable if you take care of them.

I don't know where you are located, but I know where there is a '95 black on black, 2 door, 5 speed, with 70K miles for $18K. It's a clean car, although I believe one fender has been replaced. The paint work is extremely good though. They get others in from time to time. This is in Tampa Florida BTW...

Good luck!

Matt
    E36 M3 - Track Whore / E39 530i / PSD Excursion / '92 Mustang Coupe (580RWHP/573RWTQ) / 993 -Sold

My Cars
    M5, E61
    Matt's on target with what he's said.
    Please do a search in the M3 forum, you'll find that forum chock full of great research and insight. Blown engines are VERY uncommon in the e36 and usually are a result of poor shifting technique E46 M3, that's another story:

PS - could the mods move this to the other forum

1. What is the difference between the 3.0L and the 3.2L engines? (Besides displacement). I know the 3.0 is more easily modified... but why?
    Due to OBDI and II, emission requirements.

I was shocked at how many "Blown engine" threads I saw
    That is due to over-rev from mis-shifts. 5th to 2nd...

Keep searching/browsing in this forum... all of your answers are throughly covered in here in the past....

Have you read this FAQ?:

Good Luck...

Eurospeed FAQ

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Thank you for your help guys, I appreciate it. That black on black M3... that would be perfect... too bad Im all the way up in Philadelphia. :P (Oh, and If I posted this in the wrong forum, I apologize)

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Oh.. and that FAQ list - it comes up in strage text... not "english" am I missing a translator or a program to open it?

My Cars
    M5, E61
    adobe acrobat has the latest reader...it works for me.

My Cars
    M3, 993, PSD Excursion, Fox Body Mustang
    Originally posted by Stuttgart951
    Oh.. and that FAQ list - it comes up in strage text... not "english" am I missing a translator or a program to open it?
    It's a PDF file, you need to download Acrobat Reader to view it. You can download it free at www.download.com

If you are really interested in that car you could easily have it shipped. If you want more info call Brian at 813-931-9393, tell him Matt sent you.
    E36 M3 - Track Whore / E39 530i / PSD Excursion / '92 Mustang Coupe (580RWHP/573RWTQ) / 993 -Sold

My Cars
    M5, E61

My Cars
    95M3:03S6:06F250PSD
    This sounds vastly familiar!!! I sold my '86 951 to get my 95 M3, and let me tell you that the bimmer is so much better. I was dumping thousands of $$$ just to keep it on the road. Now I am dumping thousands of $$$ to make it my dream car, very gentle in town and a beast when pushed. My brother has a modded '86 951 and I can toast him - in a straight line and especially on a auto-x. My father also also has an '89 951 turbo "S".

Good luck and you will not regret it.
    Matt Williams -
    Current - 01 LSB M3
    Past - #21 GTS-3 -
    95 Alpine White/Yellow M3 - Stock, except for the stuff that isn't

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Thats what I needed to hear ///MRacer. =) Ive driven many BMW's, but never an M3 - I loved the other cars and I cant see the M3 being anything but better - I guess the next step is to go out and drive a few. I dunno when you got rid of your P-car, but were you at the meet in Hershey last month? Couple REALLY nice M cars that showed up. ;-) Thanks again guys, Ill let you know how things turn out.

My Cars
    95M3:03S6:06F250PSD
    I have been to some of the meets in Hershey but I have not been there lately because my PCA membership ran out. I auto-x with the local SCCA club (SUSQ region) alot. The first one of the season is this Sunday, May 19th,
    Matt Williams -
    Current - 01 LSB M3
    Past - #21 GTS-3 -
    95 Alpine White/Yellow M3 - Stock, except for the stuff that isn't

My Cars
    97 silver 328is
    stuttgart951,

were you the one that called me this weekend about my 98 m3?
    "The koalas are so hungry they are eating pine needles," "What will tourists think of a habitat of denuded trees with desperate, starving koalas roaming the damaged landscape?"

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Sorry, no - wasnt me. =)