Thread: E36 M3 Coilover Spring Rates

My Cars
    '99 E36 M3

E36 M3 Coilover Spring Rates

I'm debating switching to Koni SA coilovers from TCKR. Any suggestions on spring rates? I've heard 450/500 is a popular set up for street cars that see a decent amount of track time.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i, 1996
    Quote Originally Posted by dbbmwm3
    I'm debating switching to Koni SA coilovers from TCKR. Any suggestions on spring rates? I've heard 450/500 is a popular set up for street cars that see a decent amount of track time.
    yeah, that would be a reasonable rate to try.

just curious, what aren't you liking about the TCKR?
    http://www.framesdirect.com/sunglasses/ - Sunglasses!
    1994 BMW 325i - GUTTED,
    AD shocks, eibach race springs, motorforce camberplates, stud conversion, and RTAB limiters, tunnel exauhst, CAI/chip, underdrive pullies, fan delete, AC delete, sparco race seats, 18x9 Superlegerras, GC swaybar, 2.8L engine with M50 intake manifold
    AND
    1996 BMW 328 - daily driver

do you mean Koni SA and GC coilovers?.......curious here too about why not liking TCKR.....I know e 30's run 450/600 ish

My Cars
    98 M3
    i don't thnik he has a problem with TCK, i think he is interested in buying TCK coilovers.

The best advice is to call up TCK and talk to Pete or TC. They will set you up with a nice suspension.
    Sean

My Cars
    '99 E36 M3
    I meant TC Kline Racing (TCKR)... I've already talked to Pete and he suggested the 450/500, but I was curious to see if anyone used a different spring rate.

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2dr/5spd*
    I just installed the TCK SAs with the same springs this past weekend, 450/500 seems like a good place to start...will see how they perform at Saturday's autox
    Estoril/Modena '97 M3...sold for the second time.
    ------------------------------------
    You only live once, and I'm running out of time...

My Cars
    92 328iFI, 02 325iT, 00 528iT

TCK COs

I run that exact setup (450/500)on my E36 325i that I still drive on the street quite a bit. It is a third car for us but I drive it to work at least twice a week and on the weekends a bit. I have had this on the car for 3 months and 3 DEs. It is pretty well a total track car:no stereo, roll bar, no back seat, most insulation and sound deadening gone, polyurethane everything, yada, yada, yada. You get the picture. But with the 450/500 lb springs and TC's spherical bearing camber plates up front it is still very streetable. In fact the ride height is higher on the COs than on the Bav auto sport springs and H+R sports this suspension replaced. The higher ride height makes this the much better street ride even though the spring rates are probably double what I had before. And the double adjustables are great. Once you get used to the difference and start playing around with the settings it is amazing what a twist of this and a few clicks on that will do. A car that was an understeering pig is now a seemingly well balanced machine. More gas the tail steps out, breath out of it and it comes right back in. Lots of fun. Frankly If I could trade these springs in even up I would get 100lbs stiffer all the way around. That would suit my style a little better and I bet I would barely notice it on the street. As it is I will probably buy 200lb higher springs and give them a try. I want it firmer in roll on the track and I will hopefully be able to live with them on the street. I have heard of other guys running around on 650/700 and they say it is fine for them. We will see. This winter I have backed the shocks down to soft and thrown the stock drivers seat back in. Since then even my wife drives it occasionally when I am working on her Touring. She doesn't complain about the ride only the lack of radio. If you have any questions just shoot me a line.
    Ryan
    92 328i TCD TrackTurbo stage 1
    02 325iT SportWagon
    00 528iT SportWagon

My Cars
    99 M3; 07 335i
    Just installed the 450/500 setup and I am very happy. It is stiff and a little bumpy. It is between street and track. I like it.

My Cars
    97 Evil M3/4, 01 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Specter325
    I run that exact setup (450/500)on my E36 325i that I still drive on the street quite a bit. It is a third car for us but I drive it to work at least twice a week and on the weekends a bit. I have had this on the car for 3 months and 3 DEs. It is pretty well a total track car:no stereo, roll bar, no back seat, most insulation and sound deadening gone, polyurethane everything, yada, yada, yada. You get the picture. But with the 450/500 lb springs and TC's spherical bearing camber plates up front it is still very streetable. In fact the ride height is higher on the COs than on the Bav auto sport springs and H+R sports this suspension replaced. The higher ride height makes this the much better street ride even though the spring rates are probably double what I had before. And the double adjustables are great. Once you get used to the difference and start playing around with the settings it is amazing what a twist of this and a few clicks on that will do. A car that was an understeering pig is now a seemingly well balanced machine. More gas the tail steps out, breath out of it and it comes right back in. Lots of fun. Frankly If I could trade these springs in even up I would get 100lbs stiffer all the way around. That would suit my style a little better and I bet I would barely notice it on the street. As it is I will probably buy 200lb higher springs and give them a try. I want it firmer in roll on the track and I will hopefully be able to live with them on the street. I have heard of other guys running around on 650/700 and they say it is fine for them. We will see. This winter I have backed the shocks down to soft and thrown the stock drivers seat back in. Since then even my wife drives it occasionally when I am working on her Touring. She doesn't complain about the ride only the lack of radio. If you have any questions just shoot me a line.
    650/700 on the street? Won't that hurt your ass...just a bit? I know you won't want that here in berkeley with their lousy ass streets
    M3 Sedan Club President #21

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i, 1996
    Quote Originally Posted by RRdawho?
    650/700 on the street? Won't that hurt your ass...just a bit? I know you won't want that here in berkeley with their lousy ass streets
    all depends on the shocks. its bumpy but wouldn't actually hurt...not in a stock seat anyway =)
    http://www.framesdirect.com/sunglasses/ - Sunglasses!
    1994 BMW 325i - GUTTED,
    AD shocks, eibach race springs, motorforce camberplates, stud conversion, and RTAB limiters, tunnel exauhst, CAI/chip, underdrive pullies, fan delete, AC delete, sparco race seats, 18x9 Superlegerras, GC swaybar, 2.8L engine with M50 intake manifold
    AND
    1996 BMW 328 - daily driver