Thread: BMW Experts, Please Help! Engine Issues!

My Cars
    A lot

BMW Experts, Please Help! Engine Issues!

Well today I was giving my car an Inspection II. When I was switching out the spark plugs, my fifth plug furthest from me had some major oil deposits in it. I am guessing by the look of the spark plug it is caused by poor oil control.

So my guess is that oil is leaking past worn valve guides or piston rings into the combustion chamber. I have had some hard starts and misfiring and hesitation of the engine lately.

Now to correct the problem I am guessing I need to fix this problem. How hard is this issue to deal with and can the above average at home mechanic take care of this? I am fearing a huge repair cost here.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

My Cars
    95 M3 Arctic Silver...01 Tacoma 4x4
    Oil was on the threads or the white porcelain?
    SOLD

I am betting valve cover gasket leaking, oil covered plug when you pulled it out. If the oil was on the comustion side of the plug normally, you would be running on 5 cylinders and you would have definitely noticed you had issues earlier.

James Clay
    Race Proven Performance
    www.bimmerworld.com
    www.bimmerworldracing.com

My Cars
    A lot
    so how much work am I looking into? is this going to be expensive?

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by nvsage
    so how much work am I looking into? is this going to be expensive?
    Nope, getting the valve cover gasket changed shouldn't be too bad. Gasket is maybe $40-$50, and it should be 1-2 hours labor. You can do it yourself easily too. Get yourself a 10mm socket, some new washers that go under the bolts and have fun. When you're retorquing it, start from the center and work outwards.
    Sardil

'95 M3

Gasket is about $25, if you have the plugs out, you are about 15 minutes away from having the gaskets replaced.

James Clay
    Race Proven Performance
    www.bimmerworld.com
    www.bimmerworldracing.com

My Cars
    Wicked White Evolution X
    Sounds like the valve cover gasket to me.

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    I'll agree, if you were running a cylinder short, you would definately notice. Cars sputter, jerk, and run like total ass when your missing a cylinder. I did it one time when a spark plug died on my honda prelude. OMG did that suck. Sounded like "Uncle Bucks" car driving and it was like 0-60 in 10secs.
    -Chaz
    My SSK Faq (primarily e36 M3)

Don't PM Me. My box is way overfilled from when I was a mod. Email me if you have to get a hold of me.

My Cars
    88 M3, 90 M3, 91 318is
    and your check engine light would be on if one of you cylinders wasnt firing.
    Change that gasket. its really easy, just dont forget to get all the nuts!

My Cars
    A lot
    My check engine light is on. I turned it off for the time being though. However, I had a few other things that would set my check engine light on. So I don't know if the engine caused it after all. So from what I am gathering, it is easy to fix huh? When you say easy how easy are you talking about? How much mess? Does the engine need to come out? I have not done any engine work before. The biggest job I have done is the rear wheel bearing, suspension, brakes, alternator, starter, stuff like that.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by nvsage
    My check engine light is on. I turned it off for the time being though. However, I had a few other things that would set my check engine light on. So I don't know if the engine caused it after all. So from what I am gathering, it is easy to fix huh? When you say easy how easy are you talking about? How much mess? Does the engine need to come out? I have not done any engine work before. The biggest job I have done is the rear wheel bearing, suspension, brakes, alternator, starter, stuff like that.
    Ahah, no, the engine doesn't need to come out. Get yourself a Bentley manual and the parts. If you can take your spark plugs off, and you know how to use a wrench, then you're 80% there.

If you do a search, I'm sure a couple of pics will turn up too.
    Sardil

'95 M3

My Cars
    A lot
    So the oil being on the thread of the spark plug and hesitation is probably caused by a bad valve cover gasket? I hope this is it.

My Cars
    '14 Tacoma & '88 300e
    This may be more then just the gasket, when my shop was investigating a rattle under decelearation they noticed oil in the combustion chamber......I am now spending 5k getting all new timing chains and a valve job........

My Cars
    A lot
    my fear is the combustin chamber. all the spark plugs had black oil residue, however spark plug #5 from me had oil drenched on it. Will a valve cover gasket going bad cause only one spark plug have have oil drench and the rest not?

My Cars
    whatever is there
    yea, the valve cover gasket is hard rubber now probrably and not keeping the oil out. the oil comes in contact w/ the coil and the plug causing it to ground out, and therefor missing. that plug #5 might be lighter on the tip than the others. when u do plugs on ur "own" car it'd be a good idea for the v/c gasket. every 30 or so, MBZ needs them more often BTW

My Cars
    A lot
    Oil was on the combustion side of the spark plug. Not the white side. Actually the Oil was only on one plug and the other plugs were just black. So still bad valve gasket?
    Last edited by nvsage; 02-01-2005 at 10:58 AM.