Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to: Take night pictures/Low light.

My Cars
    1997 Alpine White M3
    Quote Originally Posted by intence
    6i9 you are a photography god
    Duh.

My Cars
    flat 4 turbo
    can we some examples of your work 6i9?

My Cars
    1997 Alpine White M3
    Give me a G5 and I'll show you how it's done.

My Cars
    Yes
    Great thread. I have a couple of things to add:

Noise Reduction: If your camera offers a Noise Reduction (NR) feature, turn it on for night shots. Some cameras apply it automatically, but you have to activate NR manually on others. If you don't, you may notice hot pixels (random blue/red specks) in the final image.

If you forget to turn on NR, there is a way to remove these hot pixels in Photoshop. You take a dark frame with the lens cap on, preferably during the same session as when you took the pictures you want to fix. Then, you subtract the dark frame from the affected images. Here's a link that shows you how to do it:

http://www.astromart.com/articles/ar...article_id=185

I used this technique with good results on some recent night photos where my camera's battery power was so low that the camera didn't apply NR processing to the images.

Batteries: Have a fresh set of batteries in your camera and a spare set in your pocket when taking night shots - keeping the shutter open and NR processing both require a lot of juice. Also, shooting in very cold temperatures can reduce lithium batteries' run-time, so keep your spares warm.

Mirror Anti-Shock: Some digital SLRs have a mode where the mirror will flip up a fraction of a second before the shutter opens. This reduces vibration due to mirror slap. Turn this on, too, for night exposures.

Tripod: Don't cheap out on a tripod if you can help it. A good, stable tripod makes for better images and protects your investment since it's less likely to tip over in a strong wind. Make sure the tripod you select is rated to support the weight of the equipment you want to put on it. Bogen/Manfrotto and Gitzo are two excellent tripod manufacturers.
    Last edited by G. P. Burdell; 02-01-2005 at 12:39 PM.

My Cars
    1997 Alpine White M3
    Quote Originally Posted by G. P. Burdell
    Great thread. I have a couple of things to add:

Noise Reduction: If your camera offers a Noise Reduction (NR) feature, turn it on for night shots. Some cameras apply it automatically, but you have to activate NR manually on others. If you don't, you may notice hot pixels (random blue/red specks) in the final image.

If you forget to turn on NR, there is a way to remove these hot pixels in Photoshop. You take a dark frame with the lens cap on, preferably during the same session as when you took the pictures you want to fix. Then, you subtract the dark frame from the affected images. Here's a link that shows you how to do it:

http://www.astromart.com/articles/ar...article_id=185

I used this technique with good results on some recent night photos where my camera's battery power was so low that the camera didn't apply NR processing to the images.

Batteries: Have a fresh set of batteries in your camera and a spare set in your pocket when taking night shots - keeping the shutter open and NR processing both require a lot of juice. Also, shooting in very cold temperatures can reduce lithium batteries' run-time, so keep your spares warm.

Mirror Anti-Shock: Some digital SLRs have a mode where the mirror will flip up a fraction of a second before the shutter opens. This reduces vibration due to mirror slap. Turn this on, too, for night exposures.

Tripod: Don't cheap out on a tripod if you can help it. A good, stable tripod makes for better images and protects your investment since it's less likely to tip over in a strong wind. Make sure the tripod you select is rated to support the weight of the equipment you want to put on it. Bogen/Manfrotto and Gitzo are two excellent tripod manufacturers.
    I've never herad of the Mirror Anti-shock feature.

Good info

My Cars
    Yes
    Mirror anti-shock mode is accessible through the custom functions menu on Nikon digital SLRs, and probably Canons too. It's similar to the mirror lock-up function on professional film SLRs.

EDIT: It's anti-mirror-shock mode, not "mirror anti-shock mode." I keep getting that wrong.
    Last edited by G. P. Burdell; 02-01-2005 at 04:16 PM.

My Cars
    1997 Alpine White M3
    Mirror anti-shock mode is accessible through the custom functions menu on Nikon digital SLRs, and probably Canons too. It's similar to the mirror lock-up function on professional film SLRs.

EDIT: It's anti-mirror-shock mode, not "mirror anti-shock mode." I keep getting that wrong.
    Oh okay cool. My friend may be getting a DSLR soon, so I'll check it out.

My Cars
    1998 M3
    good thread... why did you have this 2 years ago.. all the pics i took back then sucked azz.. as you can see in my sig

My Cars
    Nissan Titan, M5
    GP thanks, lots of good info on this thread!
    BFC Nikonian #1

My Cars
    90 & 90 & 91 SHO
    lets see some good night pictures im hungry for some

My Cars
    Nissan Titan, M5
    I added a link to the first post, at the bottom.
    BFC Nikonian #1

My Cars
    E34 530i 5 speed
    Yeah some DSLRs have the feature where you can select a "mirror-lockup" to reduce the vibe.
    Also, try to avoid using the optical zoom on popular point-and-shoot cameras for night shots. The aperture reduces quite a few stops at full zoom. Most 3X zooms have an aperture of f/2.8 at wide-angle and this reduces in most cases to f/4.8, which is a smaller aperture. Smaller apertures require longer shutter-times in very low light situations, than the camera might be able to offer.

Notable exceptions are the FZ3 & FZ20. These Leica lens-equipped "point and shoot" cameras maintain their aperture at f/2.8 all through their 12X (!) optical zoom range. Also, these cameras feature gyro-controlled optical lens stabilization, to compensate for hand-shake, allowing lower shutter speeds than ordinarily optimal for handheld shooting.
    Last edited by Carzzi; 02-25-2005 at 02:11 PM.

Both sold. Now: Black 94 E34 530i-5sp

My Cars
    chevelle ss
    shutter speed stays open for longer, and the tripod is because a human cannot hold the camera still for as long as it needs to stay open. and naw, night pictures have been around for a while, especially with japananese cars, thats what alot of em are, racing at night and all. if anyone needs to know anything photo related, my girlfriend is a photography genius, so she would know it all.

My Cars
    2008 Z06, FJ Cruiser
    And umm... this works with flesh tones also right?

My Cars
    1997 Alpine White M3
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhenson
    And umm... this works with flesh tones also right?
    Try it and post some pics...

My Cars
    BMW E30 325i
    Tripod is useful and long shutter time (1-5 seconds).
    Last edited by Ahven; 03-16-2005 at 02:58 AM.

My Cars
    1992 E36 320i
    This thread is awesome, thanks to the guys who contributed! It will definitely help a lot of us..

My Cars
    Porsche Boxster Spyder
    Can someone teach me how to take extreme close-ups, i think is called macro photography.
    Current: 2012 Porsche Boxster Spyder, 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
    Current demo: 2012 528xi
    Past: 1994 Porshce 964 3.6 turbo, 1999 M3 cv, 2000 323ci 2006 Z4 3.0si, 2009 335i Mcp, 2010 535xiT

My Cars
    328is
    Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3
    Can someone teach me how to take extreme close-ups, i think is called macro photography.
    Your camera should have a Macro option which is represented by usually a little Flower or you can go to Manuel mode and Manuelly focus. Press the shutter button down half way and you should see the diffrence. It would help if you specified which camera you have so I would tell you exactlly what to press.

My Cars
    Too many.
    Just noticed this post. Very good basic info here However let me expand on some things namely vibration reducing techniques and procedures. Vibration will manifest itself in soft ior blurry images.

Tripod - While any tripod is better than none, a heavier tripod will be better than a light one. A larger unit is able to better absorb vibrations.

If you have a short tripod, dont ever extend the center collum to its max as they wobble like crazy.

If its windy if if you want further vibration reduction, hang your camera bag or small bean bag fron the tripod center. This will help steady the tripod even more.

Remote Camera Release - AKA Cable release. Good investment. The second you press the shutter button and release it you already have incured some vibration. To get around this, most mid end DSLR will have remote shutter release options. P/S based digicams sre shipped with a remote control. While they wont allow you to set bulb times, they allow you to trip the shutter wihout having to touch the camera.

Another trick is to use the cameras self timer.

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieg
    Your camera should have a Macro option which is represented by usually a little Flower or you can go to Manuel mode and Manuelly focus. Press the shutter button down half way and you should see the diffrence. It would help if you specified which camera you have so I would tell you exactlly what to press.

What Krieg said plus take special note of your cameras minimal focusing distance. That is what really determines your cameras macro cpabilities. If your camera can only resolve subject cleary at a minimum focusing distance of 12" you will not be able to get a clear image at 10".

My Cars
    2005 Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG
    The one thing that is a major factor is the quality of light. It seems like places with nice white lights are becoming harder to find. There are many places in San Diego (and many other places) that would make awesome photoshoot spots at night but they are lit up by crappy yellow lights. Here are two examples of crappy vs decent light. I think white cars are the toughest to shoot anywhere.

(CURRENT)'05 Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG
    Car: Alabaster White | Black Leather w/Birdseye Maple Trim | Lighting Package | NAV | Steel Carter Plate (Option 481)
    Mods: KW V2 Coilovers | 19x8.5F/19x9.5R BBS LM | Toyo T1R Tires (235/35/19F 265/30/19R) | Euroteck Carbon Fiber Front Lip | Evosport Painted Sidemarkers | OEM Flat Hood Emblem

(SOLD)99 M3 Titanium Silver Coupe//Dinan Intake//Dinan Stage 2 SW//AA Gen 3 Exhaust//H&R Coilovers//Ellipsoids with Xenons//BBS RC's

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by SDSilverM3
    The one thing that is a major factor is the quality of light. It seems like places with nice white lights are becoming harder to find. There are many places in San Diego (and many other places) that would make awesome photoshoot spots at night but they are lit up by crappy yellow lights. Here are two examples of crappy vs decent light. I think white cars are the toughest to shoot anywhere.
    Try playing with your camera's white balance settings. Some cameras will let you set a custom white balance so that your subject looks natural under the particular light conditions of that location. To set the custom white balance, you access that mode in your camera, then hold a white or gray card in front of the camera and press the shutter release button.

My Cars
    2005 Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG
    Try playing with your camera's white balance settings. Some cameras will let you set a custom white balance so that your subject looks natural under the particular light conditions of that location. To set the custom white balance, you access that mode in your camera, then hold a white or gray card in front of the camera and press the shutter release button.
    White balance will not work under that type of yellow light. It makes everything else not absorbing that yellow light look too bluish. The only way to fix it is to Photoshop using the cooling filters and desaturate the object. You can tell by looking at the background in the first pic that I already manually white balanced the camera. The palm tree is waaaay blue since it was trying to compensate for everything else.
    Last edited by SDSilverM3; 04-07-2005 at 06:11 AM.

(CURRENT)'05 Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG
    Car: Alabaster White | Black Leather w/Birdseye Maple Trim | Lighting Package | NAV | Steel Carter Plate (Option 481)
    Mods: KW V2 Coilovers | 19x8.5F/19x9.5R BBS LM | Toyo T1R Tires (235/35/19F 265/30/19R) | Euroteck Carbon Fiber Front Lip | Evosport Painted Sidemarkers | OEM Flat Hood Emblem

(SOLD)99 M3 Titanium Silver Coupe//Dinan Intake//Dinan Stage 2 SW//AA Gen 3 Exhaust//H&R Coilovers//Ellipsoids with Xenons//BBS RC's

My Cars
    BMW E36 318is
    Great thread but I have only seen one photo taken at night!! Come one guys lets see what your made of
    Maz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast