RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Noise when steering!!

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325is

Noise when steering!!

so yea i get my car back from a reputable (so called) porsche/audi/bmw shop and now anytime i accelerate through a corner were im turning passed 15 degrees it starts to knock. It makes a similar noise turning both directions but when i turn right passed like 45 degrees it makes a REALLY apparent knocking/something loose sound. The one it makes turning right sounds like it is coming from underneath me to the right. The only description of the sound i can really make is that of loose cogs/gears or something. The drivetrain/tranny/clutch/engine all sound and are running good but by god when i turn and acclerate at all it makes me . It also KINDA made the sound when i hit a bad bump on the road. Theres a in there for anyone who has some ideas about wtf is up. Im taking my machine back up there today at like 4. Im tempted to just bring it to my local bmw dealer from suspicion these ****ers jacked my car up. Cause i know for DAMN sure it didnt make the sound before i took it in.
    edit: my searching found ideas such as exhaust gasket hitting heat shield. that sounds like it covers my turning right problem. but the slight noise is makes turning left and right at 15 degrees sounds like maybe another problem?
    Last edited by psnolazy; 01-26-2005 at 10:27 AM.

My Cars
    See Sig!
    Just something to check, I dont think that it is this, but mine was doing the same thing a while back. It might be the spider spring in the steering wheel. The spider spring causes the detonation in the airbag. I dont think that this is your problem, but it might be. Just something to check. It could be your exhaust bracket, as they are really close to the heat shields on the bottom of the car.
    1977 Ford Bronco -- 1983 DMC DeLorean -- 1990 BMW 325i
    1970 International Scout 300A -- 1980 Chevy Citation -- 1992 Ford F150 -- 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 -- 2008 Honda Shadow

My Cars
    1997 ///M3 Coupe
    Check your sway bar endlinks if you haven't already.

My Cars
    93 BMW 325i, 99 BMW 528iT
    If you think it is exhaust, it is really easy to check out. Get under the car when it is cold and shake the exhaust left and right. If you can duplicate the noise, you found the problem.

After removing my exhaust to to the flex disc, I had a banging noise which sounded like the car was going to come apart when going around turns. One direction sounded worse than the other. I had to modify the exhaust hanger with a dremel because the exhaust was hitting the hanger bracket. Easy fix. Hope you have a similar easy problem to fix.
    BMWCCA Member #364761 www.bmwcca.org
    A Mercedes can also bring driving pleasure.....

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325is
    it was the exhaust and they fixed it. gonna go find out if they charge me. thanks guys!