Thread: How to build a potent street/track car..

My Cars
    BMW 2002

How to build a potent street/track car..

I was wondering how to make my 2002 more powerful for the track, but be able to keep it as a normal usage car. I have been toying with the idea of duals, but people keep telling me to stay with a 38/38 for more power and more streetability. I have already ordered front and rear strut bars( the rear includes battery to the trunk conversion), bilstein sports with h&r's, pertronix with bosch red coil(if that even works), I just intalled ngk's as well, and it has a free flow pipe with ansa muffler. Currently the car has a 32/36, but I want to get rid of it. How about a tii exhust manifold? Any suggestions would be great, and please feel free to tell what you are doing.

Thanks Alot

My Cars
    BMW 2002
    Would dual 40's be more street worthy?

My Cars
    1973 2002 & 1995 740i
    This is my set-up......

(99% street use and proud of it!)

Rebuilt engine with tii 9.5:1 pistons
    Pertronix Igniter and coil
    38 DGAS Carb (LOVE IT!!)
    NGK Plugs
    Maximillion’s spark plugs and raceway (support tube)
    Removed strut spacers in front
    Urethane front bushings (rear to follow as time allows)
    E12 engine mounts (stiffer and 'larger' to give more support)
    E21 trans mount (again....)
    14" E30 basketweaves with 195's
    Stock radiator with three row core.
    Stainless steel brake lines on stock brakes.
    Axxis Deluxe brake pads (used to use Metalmaster.... but they'd squeak sometimes so I changed)
    320i alternator (internal regulator and 65A I think - OE is 45A with external regulator - new one bolts right in and cleans up a bunch of wiring)
    Cibie "Z" Beams
    "Jet Coated" exhaust manifold and down pipe

Now... I've had this car over 20 years and have never intended to go past the 'enthusiast' level of performance while keeping it looking very stock in most respects

That's my angle anyway.....
    Kevin 1970 BMW 2800cs - - 1973 BMW 2002 - - 1995 BMW 740i (Not quite stock ) - - 2001 BMW 740iL (Yes, quite stock...) - - 1968 Mustang GT Conv

My Cars
    BMW 2002
    How is that 38/38?: Is it good performance wise? Does it make the engine sound any deeper/meaner?

My Cars
    1973 2002 & 1995 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by WTA123
    Does it make the engine sound any deeper/meaner?
    Not really that I could tell.....
    But I run stock exhaust (newly replaced actually) so I don't know if there is a difference if you were to go with something else-

Quote Originally Posted by WTA123
    How is that 38/38?: Is it good performance wise?
    I love it. Immediate throttle response as opposed to waiting for the vacuum secondary to kick in on the 32/36. If you can keep your right foot under control, decent mileage as well. I got 28mpg on a straight freeway trip just after I installed it.

Having 9:5 pistons makes this carb worth it - for me. If I had the stock compression ratio, I would recommend the 32/36 though.
    Kevin 1970 BMW 2800cs - - 1973 BMW 2002 - - 1995 BMW 740i (Not quite stock ) - - 2001 BMW 740iL (Yes, quite stock...) - - 1968 Mustang GT Conv