Thread: New Factory M3 Struts. 2 part numbers?

My Cars
    2006 VBP RSX-S

New Factory M3 Struts. 2 part numbers?

I'm going to put new factory struts/shocks on my 95. I called Pacific BMW, and the rear 2 shocks are only $125 for the pair. But, the front struts were $197 EACH for one part number, 31 31 2 226 988, or $124.13 EACH for the f+s model?? What the heck does f+s mean? That struts part number is 31 31 1 092 307.

Below is a link from realoem.com where both of these part numbers are listed.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...20&hg=31&fg=10

I could get the f+s struts with rear shocks for about $400 shipped, so that's a really good deal. Which ones are the factory "Sachs" units?

My Cars
    2006 VBP RSX-S
    EDIT: The factory "Boges" not "Sachs," although Sachs are a replacement alternative.

My Cars
    2006 VBP RSX-S
    bump

GGray is offline Did someone say racetrack BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    A few BMW's...

Shocks

You can get Koni's for theat price I would most definatly NOT put stock parts back on your car....Stock stuff generally will only be good fro maybe 50k. With Koni's or Bilstien sports on stock springs the car will not ride bad at all...But it will handle much better
    Gary Gray

If you can take it apart you can make it faster!

My Cars
    2006 VBP RSX-S
    Thanks for the info, but I'm well aware of the replacement options, Koni isa pain to install, and Bilsteins ride like a skateboard. I'm also not convinced by all the internet hearsay that the stock Boge's are 'that' bad. Probably for the same reasons why we all think that M3's need to be modded....still not sure why that is. Either way, stock was good enough for BMW Motorsport engineers to use, so it works for me too. My car has 118K miles on the stockers and it feels only slightly floaty, so new ones should do the trick.

My Cars
    19 Cooper S
    Struts generally are sold as a left and a right, hence two part numbers. The shocks are not side specific. Struts are generally always higher priced than shocks. There is more manufacturing and engineering required on them. Those are normal prices. You might check Pelican Parts, they usually have fair prices for OE replacement stuff.

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimble
    Thanks for the info, but I'm well aware of the replacement options, Koni isa pain to install, and Bilsteins ride like a skateboard. I'm also not convinced by all the internet hearsay that the stock Boge's are 'that' bad. Probably for the same reasons why we all think that M3's need to be modded....still not sure why that is. Either way, stock was good enough for BMW Motorsport engineers to use, so it works for me too. My car has 118K miles on the stockers and it feels only slightly floaty, so new ones should do the trick.
    When we bought my girlfriend's M3 2 months ago, I did a lot of research on its service history. The car has 80k miles and is on its 3RD SET of factory rear shocks. It had them replaced twice before 60k miles, and I plan on having to replace them again soon. Of course, they will be replaced with Bilstein's when they die this time. Hope this helps.

My Cars
    2006 VBP RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by dport135
    Struts generally are sold as a left and a right, hence two part numbers. The shocks are not side specific. Struts are generally always higher priced than shocks. There is more manufacturing and engineering required on them. Those are normal prices. You might check Pelican Parts, they usually have fair prices for OE replacement stuff.
    Yeah, I know their are 2 part numbers, one for left, and one for right. My question is in regards to 2 different part numbers for 2 different companies that are manufacturing oe replacments.

My Cars
    19 Cooper S
    Sorry about that, I should have read more closely. I think you will have to call realoem parts for the answer. There are evidently selling two different struts. There is not a clue on that link to what they may be.

GGray is offline Did someone say racetrack BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    A few BMW's...

two

There are two becasue BMW probably sourced the OEM shocks from two companies. They use Sachs on some of the other cars and Boge.

The Koni's aren't that hard to install just take longer.. He's right about the rear stock shocks 30k at best. And when you drive a car everyday it is impossible to tell a change in ride..The best thing to do is set a milage marker and replace them at the milage 40k is about the life of an OEM stut/shock.
    Gary Gray

If you can take it apart you can make it faster!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    The strut housings are left and right. You can't switch one side for the other.
    The brake lines and sway link bracket won't line up properly.

Take a look at the housings and see for yourself. One side has a bracket for ABS wire as well IIRC.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Oops, guess I didn't read the part about two different companies, sorry.