Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: After-market E38 Catalytic Converter

My Cars
    1999 BMW 750iL

Any updates for your v12 cat set up?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Levinson View Post
    I posted a bunch of technical details about this in another thread, but here's the short version:

OE post-header pips has an ID of 1.9"... it looks much bigger because it's a double-walled pipe. My new pipes are 2" and configured exactly the same length before the "V" as the OE.

This sizing is more than sufficient for this size motor; for comparison reference, the contemporary E36 M3 with 3.2l of displacent used similar sizing, and it had another 1200rpm. If you think about each half of the V12 as a 2.7l 6-cylinder, dual 2" leading to a single 2.5" is more than sufficient.

Of course, size alone is a simplistic way of looking at the situation that does not tell the whole story. In my experience, the very critical post-manifold tuning that BMW does is often spot-on. The primary inefficiencies come from the cat size/type and various crimps or restrictions that are manufacturing or sound compromises. With the shorter Magnaflow cats placed strategically, we get a longer secondary-V pipe length for effective retention of exhaust velocity before hitting the cats.

- Rob
    Hello Rob. I visited your site 'UUC Motorwerks' seeking catalytic converters or a set up for my 1999 750iL. There is nothing listed on the site and I realize this thread is quite old, but any information you can provide for an upgraded exhaust is greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by big blu View Post
    hello rob. I visited your site 'uuc motorwerks' seeking catalytic converters or a set up for my 1999 750il. There is nothing listed on the site and i realize this thread is quite old, but any information you can provide for an upgraded exhaust is greatly appreciated.
    bump!!!!

Rob Levinson is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blu View Post
    Hello Rob. I visited your site 'UUC Motorwerks' seeking catalytic converters or a set up for my 1999 750iL. There is nothing listed on the site and I realize this thread is quite old, but any information you can provide for an upgraded exhaust is greatly appreciated.
    Sorry, we no longer offer the exhaust for the E38. I am not aware of any companies that still do either.

Worst case, you could have a custom exhaust shop construct one for you using standard performance cats and mufflers.
    ----------
    NOT with that company any more.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Levinson View Post
    Sorry, we no longer offer the exhaust for the E38. I am not aware of any companies that still do either.

Worst case, you could have a custom exhaust shop construct one for you using standard performance cats and mufflers.
    Thank you Rob and I'll check my area for custom exhaust shops.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123