Thread: Indicator problem with automatic shifter panel. How to fix???

My Cars
    E53, E30/M50, E90, 2002

Indicator problem with automatic shifter panel. How to fix???

The car is a '99 e46 323ia... I'm not sure if any of you with automatics have experienced this before, but my shifter panel that indicates what gear you are in is acting funny. Here's the problem: (More noticable with the headlights/interior lights on...) With the shifter in 'park', the little indicator light to the left of the shifter not only shows lit for the park position, but also for the lowest '2' position, as well. Sometimes you'll have the shifter in a gear and a totally different indicator light shows to the left of the shifter. Obviously, there's a sliding panel underneath that prevents light from shining through the gear indicators that aren't selected. Is this a part that can even be fixed or replaced??? Any help is greatly appreciated. It's rather annoying.
    Last edited by RenaissanceMan; 01-09-2005 at 06:26 PM.
    E53 X5
    E30/S52
    E90 325i

My Cars
    E92 335i
    The console shifter indicator is easy to replace. The part is under $50 at the BMW dealer parts counter.
    I spent most of my money on cars and beer... The rest I pretty much wasted.

My Cars
    E53, E30/M50, E90, 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by slow323Ci
    The console shifter indicator is easy to replace. The part is under $50 at the BMW dealer parts counter.
    Can the procedure be found in a Bentley manual or similar? Thanks for the reply-
    E53 X5
    E30/S52
    E90 325i

My Cars
    E92 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by RenaissanceMan
    Can the procedure be found in a Bentley manual or similar? Thanks for the reply-
    You just remove the shift knob (check with the parts department to find out how), then remove the indicator assembly by squeezing in the sides and pulling up.

It's not in the Bentley manual but if you have the parts department print out the diagram from the ETK it's obvious how the parts go together.
    I spent most of my money on cars and beer... The rest I pretty much wasted.