Thread: Expert opinions on O2 sensor and oil filters..

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3/2

Expert opinions on O2 sensor and fuel filters..

Just a few questions actually...

How good are BMW OE O2 sensors?? They are kinda pricey at about $85 each... I know a place that sells these sensors for half price... Wonder if it is worth the price for OE ones...
    Also, who makes BMW's OE O2 sensors?? I saw bosch's advertisement on their sensors.. maybe it is a better option??

As for fuel filters.. How often should I replace it on a street car??.. And how involve is it to replace them?

Thanks in Advance...
    Last edited by JT-KGY; 04-21-2001 at 08:29 AM.

My Cars
    None
    Based on experience, BMW sensors can fail when new and last up to a little over 100k miles.

$85 seems resonable but the M3 uses different kinds of O2 sensors. Just make sure you get the right one.

If you have a 95 M3 3.0L engine, it uses one Bosch O2 sensor and has a bit fat probe and short wiring.

The post '96 M3 3.2L engines has 4 O2 sensors. Those sensors are made my Siemens and the probes and wiring are differ from the Bosch. The pre-cat and post-cat O2 sensors also differ in wire length.

Most people replace their engine oil filter when they're replacing engine oil. All you need is a basic metric tool set.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3/2
    Originally posted by Jon Caldito
    Based on experience, BMW sensors can fail when new and last up to a little over 100k miles.

$85 seems resonable but the M3 uses different kinds of O2 sensors. Just make sure you get the right one.

If you have a 95 M3 3.0L engine, it uses one Bosch O2 sensor and has a bit fat probe and short wiring.

The post '96 M3 3.2L engines has 4 O2 sensors. Those sensors are made my Siemens and the probes and wiring are differ from the Bosch. The pre-cat and post-cat O2 sensors also differ in wire length.

Most people replace their engine oil filter when they're replacing engine oil. All you need is a basic metric tool set.
    I have post 96 3.2L... Do you think I should stay strictly with BMW sensors??

Sorry... not oil filter... my bad.. i meant fuel filters...

My Cars
    None
    JT-KGY,

I would recommend staying with OEM Spec sensors, especially the oxygen sensors. Changing them on your 3.2L would be a little difficult. You would need to buy an oxygen sensor socket with a crowfoot design (22mm). Thats the only tools that gonna fit.

Just for your infomation, on my 3.2L, the pre-cat bank one O2 sensor went out on me at around 28k. My pre-cat bank two O2 sensor went out soon after around mid 30k but I didn't change it till 53k.

As for the fuel filter, BMW says that the newer filters are lifetime due to the stages inside the filter. Your car has a really long filter about a foot long and I dont know if they sell those at auto stores. I think the BMW parts dept. charges around $30. The filter is located underneath the body, below the drivers seat and is covered by a plastic or metal panel.

There isnt a mileage spec to replace them but due to its size and price, every 40k seems right to me.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3/2
    Jon,

28k for the sensors..???..
    My car is already at 45k... and I've been wondering why my gas mileages aren't as good as before... maybe I should get them replaced asap...
    (although I never get any "Check Engine" from it..)

Thanks Jon,