Thread: Please HELP! RPM Surging on it's own

My Cars
    e46, 318ti

Please HELP! RPM Surging on it's own

Today while driving in traffic, my 98 318ti in 2nd gear 20mph, the tach started surging to redline on it's own and then falling back to normal. It did this very quickly back and forth for less than a minute. Car seems to be running fine now, what happened?

My Cars
    NG SAAB 9-5
    Wait, what do you mean it started surging in 2nd @ 20MPH, was it just the needle or the engine speed as well?

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Yeah, do you mean the engine actually revved up that high, or just the tach? I've seen many weird things with gauges (though not on the BMW), with the needles spazzing around for no apparant reason, probably due to weather changes or something.

But if the engine actually revved up, that's obviously a problem.

My Cars
    e46, 318ti
    Just the rpm, the engine wasn't actually revving. However, the tach kept bouncing back and forth into redline. The car also stalled in a turn. Not sure what could be wrong. It's running fine now, but i'm worried now.

My Cars
    e46, 318ti
    anyone??

My Cars
    Cell phone near the guages?

Drive thru some microwave signals?

The guages are electronic and can become erratic when exposed to high levels of RF, from what I've heard....

dunno what else to tell you.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Well when I saw gauges go nuts it was due to the weather. The Barometric pressure must have been driving it nuts or something. This was an older car though, like a late '80s model.

My Cars
    '98 328i Convertible
    If you suspect an electrical problem may have caused your gauge to wig out, you may want to check your trunk wiring as a precaution. It's actually very easy (and non-destructive) to check it. Just pull the trunk grommet out and slide it down the sleeving, then slide the sleeving down past where the wires make their bend for when the trunk closes and you'll be able to see if you have any wear/kinking. The sticky thread (at the top of this forum) that deals with this gets a little extreme (IMO) by suggesting that you cut your sleeving with a razor blade, etc. Just an idea to throw out there.
    '98 328 Alpinweiss Cabriolet, 150K, CD43, CHA-S634 MP3 Changer, Chromeline Interior Trim, 'Redlined' Gears & Diff, Z3 Chromed 16" Rims, Billet Front Stress Bar, aFe CAI, 'Golf Tee' Exhaust Mod, Powerdiscs, SS Brake Lines, CDV delete, JTD Underpanel, BAV Lowering Springs, Bilstien Sports, Bimmerworld Rear Lower Control Arms and Front Camber Plates, E46 RSM's with reinforcing plates, Electric Rad Fan, Alum. T-Stat Housing, Mishimoto Hi-Capacity Aluminum Radiator, Hi-Performance Water pump, 3.23 LSD, Sharked.
    Sometime to come: New Clutch with LWFW, Clutch Stop, M50 Manifold, M3 Cams, Supercharger (I can dream).

My Cars
    e46, 318ti
    Thanks guys I'll check all those things. I'm not aware if i've driven through anywhere with high radio frequencies. The cold weather may have something to do with it.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I've had my tach on my bike freakout before.
    It was and is an electrical problem for me.

My Cars
    325i
    maybe loose vacuum line?