Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Warm-up your car in the morning before driving off?

My Cars
    e36, e46

Do You Warm-up your car in the morning before driving off?

I never warm up my car in the morning and my car is park outside. Will this
    effect the longevity of my engine?

Ron

My Cars
    '92 318iS Mauritiusblau
    Letting the car idle when cold is worse for the engine, better to drive it as it gets warm alot quicker.

My Cars
    (e36) 323, GT Beetle 1972
    It has always been recomended that you drive off straight away. only on the most extreme of tempretures (-5) do i let the car warm slightly this is only because its hard to see out of the front windscreen. The longer it takes the engine to warm the longer the fuel/air ratio is stronger the more carbon is left behind in the engine.

My Cars
    RIP:'93 325i ; '07 e61 x
    I usually start the car and go. I go slowly until I get to a major intersection, about 2 blocks away.
    3rd Infantry Division, United States Army

"Rock of the Marne!"

My Cars
    2006 330i
    usually I just let the car (if parked outside for the night) warm up the interior of the car before I leave. Just so it's nice and toasty for my drive.

My Cars
    94 325is
    Nope, I wait about 30 to 45 seconds to get all fluids moving and then go. It takes longer for the car to warm up if it sits at idle besides it wastes a lot of gas. Keep it under 3K RPM until it reaches normal temp before applying full load to the engine.
    I volunteer for every grocery run

My Cars
    89 325ix, 85 eta
    there was a big thread about this in general bmw discussion about 2 months back. I still follow the manual on this issue, and don't let the car idle for more than a minute before taking off, keeping my rpms as low as possible.
    Hold on let me get my laptop and read this on the toilet.
    --DrDub

My Cars
    323 is, 04 F-150, 02 Harley Sportster
    I think its better to just start and go unless your in real cold temps.

My Cars
    Jetta
    The BMW manual recommends that you do not warm the car at idle...that you drive away and keep it below 3K rpms until it is warmed up.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    bmw 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by old skool
    The BMW manual recommends that you do not warm the car at idle...that you drive away and keep it below 3K rpms until it is warmed up.

wow this is new news to me. for some reason i thought it was a must to let the car warm up.

My Cars
    98 BMW 323IS
    Quote Originally Posted by PePsI BlUe E36
    wow this is new news to me. for some reason i thought it was a must to let the car warm up.

With fuel injection warming up a car has become unecessary. Back in the day with carbs you had to warm them up so the choke would open up.

My Cars
    BMW 745LI
    Quote Originally Posted by Tico 1
    Nope, I wait about 30 to 45 seconds to get all fluids moving and then go. It takes longer for the car to warm up if it sits at idle besides it wastes a lot of gas. Keep it under 3K RPM until it reaches normal temp before applying full load to the engine.

Ditto, this has been discussed on a few forums, and the optimum solution is what Tico posted. I live on a really long street that leads to an entrance to the highway, so I usually just creep at less than 2500rpm. By the time I hit the freeway, I'm cleared to go!

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    No, because it's 95F+ here

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    1992 bmw325i

wow!

this is also new news to me. Is it bad if you let it warm up for just a few minutes so the interior is warm?

My Cars
    1998 328i
    i just wait until my revs drop to normal idling speed after a cold start, which is about 30 secs, and then drive off slowly for 10-20 mins

My Cars
    E46 M3
    I'm too lazy to go out into the cold to start it to let it warm up. I start it and go.

My Cars
    potato
    I recall a thread where it was said to allow the car to idle for 30-60 seconds in order for the oil and coolant to circulate through the system. More than that is just wasting gas I believe. I don't see any reason why letting it idle for a few minutes would actually do any harm though.

My Cars
    2013 BMW 335i Xdrive M

Warm up?

I open the garage door before I start the car... turn key, wait 5 seconds, and go (under 3k rpm until warmed up).

The car doesn't seem to mind at all, and I'm an impatient prick anyway.

Doug

My Cars
    94 325ic-SOLD / 2000 Escalade
    yeah I just start and go, I had heard this before that you shouldn't warm up FI cars

SOLD the vert above

My Cars
    1992 bmw325i

Cool

yeh i am impatient too.

My Cars
    E36 325i
    Start and go, the first road I hit after my drive is 60mph speed limit. Generally I get up to about 50-55, keep it under 3000rpm til the needles in the middle. Generally give it some stick after about 8-10 mins of driving at the earliest.

My Cars
    E21,E30,E36

what about the tranny

my engine is happy to start and drive away without warming up, but my transmission (automatic) is super sluggish until the car warms up. is it a transmission problem? once warm it drives just fine.

My Cars
    E36 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by nat
    my engine is happy to start and drive away without warming up, but my transmission (automatic) is super sluggish until the car warms up. is it a transmission problem? once warm it drives just fine.
    I havent noticed any difference between warm and cold with my tranny like you describe.

My Cars
    2001 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by nat
    My 5sp tranny is a little bit stiff when itws cold, but once its warmed up and driven for quite awhile, it shifts extremely smooth. Its most likely normal to be a little sluggish, but if its really noticable maybe you should get it checked out.

My Cars
    BMW e36 320i
    i warm up mine for 10-15 mins. its fucking cold here... -20 to -30 degress celcius. my engine doesnt sound tooo good when i start it up but after a few mins its okay.
    Alberta's BMW enthusiast forum.
    -Projecttechnik.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast