Thread: what does e36 in 325 stand for? (noobie question)

My Cars
    94 325i

what does e36 in 325 stand for? (noobie question)

I think I ought to know if I'm gonna own one.

My Cars
    none
    e36 is a model generation. e46 is the newer model 3 series.. all 3-series from 92 (except the 92 convert) to 98 are e36's..coupes from 99 are e36 also.

My Cars
    '92 325is
    what does the "e" stand for and the 36/46... always wanted to know

My Cars
    '97 328is
    It's a german word for "development" i believe, basically, all E36 means is that it's the 36th protoype car BMW has designed since somewhere in the 1960's

My Cars
    Development=Entwicklung in German.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    the "e36"...."e46".....etc are just the codes for the chassis. They are what are called "Chassis Codes". This is how BMW differentiates the different models when it comes to parts and service. Many parts are interchangible between models with the same chassis codes, for example a mirror that came off an (e36) 325i should fit on an (e36) 318i...they have the same chassis.

As far as the 325, 318, 540, 745, etc. these are the number of liters the engine has....for example a 325i or 325is would have a 2.5 liter engine, as opposed to the 318i or 318is that have a 1.8 liter engine. (the 540i would have a 4.0 liter engine, and so on...)

The "3" in the 325 or 318 is just the series of the car or the "model". Take for example the Chevy Corvette....the corvette is the series or "model". BMW and Chevy are the "Make".
    So there are many "models" BMW makes...the 3-series, 5-series, 7-series, M-series, etc. Just as Ford and Chevy have many different models...Ford Explorer, Mustang, Thunderbird, Taurus, Expedition, etc, etc, etc.

Hope this helps out. This is the knowledge I have gained throughout the years....Also a BMW is usually pronounced, "BEEMER" when it should be pronounced, "BIMMER"...say it...BIM-MER.
    A "Beemer" is actually the BMW motorcycle.

Please also note that there are many different chassis codes throughout BMWs years....e28 ('80's 5-series), e30 (Late 80's early 90's 3-series), e36 (Early 90's to late 90's 3-series), e46 (Late 90's to Present...i think....3-series). There are many others but I hope this helps.

Take care and enjoy your new BIMMER

PS-Sorry this was so long.

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Drmick325is
    the "e36"...."e46".....etc are just the codes for the chassis. They are what are called "Chassis Codes". This is how BMW differentiates the different models when it comes to parts and service. Many parts are interchangible between models with the same chassis codes, for example a mirror that came off an (e36) 325i should fit on an (e36) 318i...they have the same chassis.

As far as the 325, 318, 540, 745, etc. these are the number of liters the engine has....for example a 325i or 325is would have a 2.5 liter engine, as opposed to the 318i or 318is that have a 1.8 liter engine. (the 540i would have a 4.0 liter engine, and so on...)

The "3" in the 325 or 318 is just the series of the car or the "model". Take for example the Chevy Corvette....the corvette is the series or "model". BMW and Chevy are the "Make".
    So there are many "models" BMW makes...the 3-series, 5-series, 7-series, M-series, etc. Just as Ford and Chevy have many different models...Ford Explorer, Mustang, Thunderbird, Taurus, Expedition, etc, etc, etc.

Hope this helps out. This is the knowledge I have gained throughout the years....Also a BMW is usually pronounced, "BEEMER" when it should be pronounced, "BIMMER"...say it...BIM-MER.
    A "Beemer" is actually the BMW motorcycle.

Please also note that there are many different chassis codes throughout BMWs years....e28 ('80's 5-series), e30 (Late 80's early 90's 3-series), e36 (Early 90's to late 90's 3-series), e46 (Late 90's to Present...i think....3-series). There are many others but I hope this helps.

Take care and enjoy your new BIMMER

PS-Sorry this was so long.
    Why does a 540i come with a 4.4, a 323 come with a 2.5, most 318 come with 2.0, and 740il etc etc etc.....

My Cars
    325izzle
    coz some genius decided to mess with the numbering.

The 323 was marketing providing differentiation between the 328 and 325, by calling a 325 a 323 and detuning it a bit. Its easier to sell the more expensive model when its faster.

My Cars
    '92 325is
    how bout this guys.... what does the i, is, li, ic, ci all that crap stand for.. i kno the diff between them but what does it mean?

I like the e for development in german... Development=Entwicklung... mighty impressive makken and seeker

My Cars
    '92 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by makken
    It's a german word for "development" i believe, basically, all E36 means is that it's the 36th protoype car BMW has designed since somewhere in the 1960's
    and also while im at it.. what were the first bmw's... the e1???

My Cars
    88 M6, diesel jetta
    all you need to know is my 1988 M6 is E24 and is the best bmw ever built, even better than the E30.
    "The money power preys upon the nation in times of peace and conspires against it in times of adversity. Corporations have been enthroned, an era of corruption will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people, until the wealth is aggregated in a few hands, and the republic is destroyed." - Abraham Lincoln.

My Cars
    '97 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by kossesh
    how bout this guys.... what does the i, is, li, ic, ci all that crap stand for.. i kno the diff between them but what does it mean?

I like the e for development in german... Development=Entwicklung... mighty impressive makken and seeker
    thanks

i is for "injected" as in "fuel injected"
    is is "injected sport", a sport model, was also the old designation for "coupe" in the US (the specifics for the "s" tag seem subjective to bmw)
    Li is "Long wheelbase, injected", basically a long wheelbase model (more rear legroom)
    ic is the old designation for convertible
    ci is the new designation for both coupes and convertibles (starting in 2000). to help differentiate between coupes and convertibles, most people call coupes Ci, while convertibles are called Cic.