Thread: Anybody post info/tips on cleaning throttle body?

My Cars
    Byzanz M3/4/6
    I have a 94 325i with 56k miles and am thinking about cleaning the throttle body but I want to do it right. I saw a can of throttle body cleaner by 3M at the auto parts store, any advice?:

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    Nothing really goes in there but air, so I am not so sure why it would need to be cleaned.

Does it really?

Bernman

My Cars
    e36 328is,T4R, is250AWD
    It does need to be cleaned once in a while. In my Isuzu, the throttle body was so dirty, and once cleaned, I felt a lot of improvement in performance. I heard this from someone, but if you don't take out the entire assembly to clean it, you could jack up the passenger side of the car, so any liquid cleaner would drip out of the throttle body instead of into the engine. hope this helps.

My Cars
    Byzanz M3/4/6
    Thanks for the reply flipmode. I think I will take it out to be more thorough, what would you recommend to clean it? I was thinking of buying some 3M throttle body cleaner and wiping it down.

My Cars
    e36 328is,T4R, is250AWD
    Hi, I've heard of people using carb cleaner, but go with the 3M, that's what it's made for. good luck

EricB Guest
    You should also lube up all your throttle linkage while you're in there. If you haven't already.
    GL

My Cars
    avUs
    any name porducts i should use??

My Cars
    avUs
    is there a DIY..i plan on doing this soon...what happenes when i take the also hose off the TB...