Thread: Any update on Jim C OBDII cam kit?

My Cars
    2011 1M

Any update on Jim C OBDII cam kit?

Does anyone have any new information regarding the long-awaited Jim Conforti/Eurosport OBDII cam kit? I don't want to go to the darkside (forced induction) and have state inspection-related concerns about OBDI conversion, but am starting to wonder whether this much vaunted kit is ever going to be released.
    MDORPHN - 2011 Alpine White 1 Series M Coupe w/stuff

My Cars
    2013 BMW X5
    One of my friends is testing on his 99. I drove it last weekend. pulls very strong and linear. Sounds awesome.

He had it at a 2 day DE and said there were no problems at all. Even with the main fan removed.

I'm wondering if the 3.0L kit feels this good!
    --Mike

how much? and where can you purchase this kit?

talked to a guy at bimmerfest

There was a guy from European Car at Bimmerfest, he said they were still doing testing, some issues came up. Still waiting...waiting...waiting...

does anyone know approximately how much this whole kit is going to cost? how much should labor cost?

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe - RIP
    The reason I bought an M3 is because I wanted a car with great performance and some nice luxury. My M3 spends most of its time in luxury mode as there isn't the opportunity to let it go into race mode as I'm not a street racer. It's not that I don't enjoy spirited driving.. but I'm a conservative driver. I don't need tickets or a crashed M3. If I wanted all out performance with no luxury I would have considered other cars when I was looking to buy.

So luxurious, smooth driving is important to me. Will a cam kit change the way the car performs at low speeds or the wait it idles? Will it still be tame when it needs to be? How about reliablilty?

I'd like to stay away from forced induction, so this kit is appealing to me.

Originally posted by Zoso
    The reason I bought an M3 is because I wanted a car with great performance and some nice luxury. My M3 spends most of its time in luxury mode as there isn't the opportunity to let it go into race mode as I'm not a street racer. It's not that I don't enjoy spirited driving.. but I'm a conservative driver. I don't need tickets or a crashed M3. If I wanted all out performance with no luxury I would have considered other cars when I was looking to buy.

So luxurious, smooth driving is important to me. Will a cam kit change the way the car performs at low speeds or the wait it idles? Will it still be tame when it needs to be? How about reliablilty?

I'd like to stay away from forced induction, so this kit is appealing to me.
    If you don't mind a jumpy idle, higher rev limiter and more torque...then the cam kit is for you. It makes the M3 (at idle) sound like those old american cars with cams...it revs up over 700 rpm then back down to 500rpm..if you are ok with that..then it is time to buy...

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    3 grand, give or take 200.

Rough, lopy idle? I didn't think the cams were aggressive enough to make a big difference in idle. Have you heard them? That's actually the authoritative sound I've love to have. More like my buddy's E34 M5, which just sounds badass.
    In the slow lane

Originally posted by frayed
    3 grand, give or take 200.

Rough, lopy idle? I didn't think the cams were aggressive enough to make a big difference in idle. Have you heard them? That's actually the authoritative sound I've love to have. More like my buddy's E34 M5, which just sounds badass.
    I haven't heard the Jim C. cams..but the cams that I heard in my buddy's M3 were that agressive...It made the M3 sound like a monster...with a german accent of course!

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    Originally posted by widebodym3

I haven't heard the Jim C. cams..but the cams that I heard in my buddy's M3 were that agressive...It made the M3 sound like a monster...with a german accent of course!
    Very nice. Any idea which cams he was using? I'm wondering if he was using more of a race-oriented grind than the more mild Schrick cams you see routinely advertised.

In any event, it's a step in the right direction.
    In the slow lane

My Cars
    06 997S; 96 M3 (sold); 02 4Runner; 05 XC90 V8
    Originally posted by widebodym3

If you don't mind a jumpy idle, higher rev limiter and more torque...then the cam kit is for you. It makes the M3 (at idle) sound like those old american cars with cams...it revs up over 700 rpm then back down to 500rpm..if you are ok with that..then it is time to buy...
    I don't have a jumpy or rough idle. I would have to say that your friend had very aggressive cams.
    Steven

96' Hellrot M3

My Cars
    2013 BMW X5
    Lumpy Idle?? No not at all. If any, it's very slight.

Unlike the 95 cam kit, the 3.2L kit is a little more involved requiring much more hardware.

I'm trying to be a little vague because I'm not sure what I'm allowed to say about the kit or not.

You're basically making a 3.2 breathe like a 3.0.

Being developed by Josh at Eurosport (home of Conforti).

Have you ever heard a 95 M3 with the Euro HFM Shark setup at WOT? This sounds a bit more aggressive at WOT.

Thanks.
    --Mike

My Cars
    2011 1M
    Does NE1 know (or able to disclose) whether the Jim C. kit is compatible with ASC? Also, I know about the Schrick cams, Euro/540 HFM, injectors, M50 manifold, but does it also employ a larger throttle body? Thanks.

My Cars
    06 997S; 96 M3 (sold); 02 4Runner; 05 XC90 V8
    Originally posted by Neil
    Does NE1 know (or able to disclose) whether the Jim C. kit is compatible with ASC?
    It's your call if you want to take out the ASC or not. It's just a boot from the roadster. I personally have mine taken out. I always turn it off when I start my car now I don't have to worry about it.
    Steven

96' Hellrot M3

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe - RIP
    Originally posted by badbadm

:sh1a:
    what? Don't get me wrong, I drive my M3 and enjoy every second of it. I just drive it maturely and don't race it all of the time. I bought it for the car that it is... a performance car with luxury, style, and class. When I'm crusing in it, I really enjoy the solid feel of the car, the feel of the road, and the comfort of the car. If all I wanted was performance I would have had a bunch of other cars in my list to pick from.... but I probably would have still gotten the M3 because I feel BMW did an awesome job designing the car in so many aspects.

Now if I can get some more power to play with out of a cam kit and have the car still keep its gentle cruising (luxury mode) aspects and keep the factory BMW reliability, I'll be a happy man.

My Cars
    ?
    I have the final beta test version and it is awesome. I won't give away secrets, but I am blown away by every bit of the kit. There is no check engine light, no lumpy idle, nothing funny, just great power. As usual, Josh and JimC have come through for the BMW community.

I'll post dyno numbers once I get the OK from Eurosport

Brian

just wondering, i understand that the software used is tuned for gas with octane ratings higher than 91 (what we get in CA). If that's the case, than would there be any problems with pinging? I talked to Josh about this and he said that so far, he hasn't heard of any situations where there were any pinging. But than again, right now the temperature is relatively cool and summer hasn't really hit yet. Anyone know if the outside temp hit around 100 degrees if it would cause any pre-detonation? I only ask this because i was told that the JC chip on the 95 M3 (or was it the E30 M3??) had occasional pinging.

My Cars
    2011 1M

Re: Jim C. OBDII cam kit

Salivation activated.

My Cars
    1988 M3, 2011 E90 M3

Brian,

Do thses cams give the US motor a better cost/performance ratio than going with a euro engine? I really have been interested in going with the ero engine but if the US engine can be done chaper with similar performance....why not?
    Justin Power

1988 BMW ///M3
    Henna Red / Black

1990 BMW ///M3 race car
    Diamond Black / Black

1998 BMW ///M3 Sedan
    Alpine White III / Mulberry

My Cars
    ?
    Justin,

It makes the car similar in performance to a Euro 3.2, but not as good acoss the board. The kit is definatly worth the money, as it will end up costing several thousand dollars less in the long run than the Euro.

and Justin, I'm still waiting for you to join Team BimmerForums Same with the rest of you kids..

Brian

My Cars
    1988 M3, 2011 E90 M3
    I'm planning on it. I haven't had time to read all the details with some of my finals this week. I'm going to read them this weekend. I have to join......I need the tech help. Oh, btw....when you decide to sell that car of yours....let me know. Hopefully I'll be out of school and can jump on it.
    Justin Power

1988 BMW ///M3
    Henna Red / Black

1990 BMW ///M3 race car
    Diamond Black / Black

1998 BMW ///M3 Sedan
    Alpine White III / Mulberry

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe - RIP
    Brian,

Do you know if an M3 with the OBD-II cam kit will pass emissions and everything else in the state inpection?

Thanks,
    Mike

My Cars
    ?
    Zoso,

Ohio does not have any state emissions testing, so I have no idea what my car is doing in that way. But, I know that the kit is being beta tested in CA and NY and I have not heard a peep about problems at the sniffer. I'd give Josh at Eurosport a call and see what he can tell you.

Brian