Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Take a look at this "Oil change intervals"

My Cars
    F10, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonBlkE36
    ur just wasting ur money, the idea of the synthetic is to keep it in longer. i'd suggest you use conventional oil in that case. i change my synthetic ever 6k, and swap the filter at 3
    Yeah, maybe. But, I'll take my 3k mile changes with my Mobil 1 and have more peace of mind. I may or may not need it, but it certainly isn't hurting anything. Synthetics may not break down as quickly but they still have to carry dirt. They don't have more capacity for dirt than regular oil so why leave them in there longer?
    Seth

My Cars
    E92 M3 Comp
    it's quieted the motor down a lot so far, and there is definately a bit more power. and im on the rinse phase now, just 100 miles into it. the rinse phase is where your supposed to see the most results. check it out, http://www.auto-rx.com/ . if you have any questions, call frank. as i said he is more than happy to explain how the product works exactly.

My Cars
    05 Mustang GT, 92 Miata
    Quote Originally Posted by s_ribbens
    Yeah, maybe. But, I'll take my 3k mile changes with my Mobil 1 and have more peace of mind. I may or may not need it, but it certainly isn't hurting anything. Synthetics may not break down as quickly but they still have to carry dirt. They don't have more capacity for dirt than regular oil so why leave them in there longer?
    Seth
    The article I linked to an quoted above (post#64) suggests you just might be hurting your car...
    -Boondoggie

My Cars
    White 2005 BMW M3 Coupe
    I currently am on 14k miles between my last oil change. I'm running AMSOIL's European Spec synthetic oil 5W-40. Now not only do I drive my car hard daily, I compete heavily in SCCA and BMWCCA auto-xing. I would say I've added about an extra 4 to 5 quarts of oil during this time. I will be changing my oil soon as I'm due for inspection. Now 14k seems like a lot to most but again it's synthetic. Now to go 14k miles on the original 7 quarts that was in there is insane.

Changing it every 3k is just a waste of money. 8k is perfectly reasonably. On dino oil...DEFINITELY change it every 3k or else it'll cost. I know the hard way with a Saturn.

Gio

My Cars
    E92 M3 Comp
    bear in mind that not all synthetics are as good as others. the best synthetics are the ones that have the highest ester content. ie castrol syntec is hardly considered synthetic compared to redline etc. again, check out the www.bobistheoilguy.com forums. great info on there.

My Cars
    E92 M3 Comp
    i just got off the phone with frank miller the inventor of auto-rx. he said if i want, ask one of the moderators to send him an email, and he will draw up a coupon for money off auto-rx for bimmerforums members.

My Cars
    F10, E30
    Hhhmmm... Interesting. Has anybody tried this cleaner product?

I still have a tough time seeing how changing your oil every 3000 miles can actually be bad?
    Seth

My Cars
    White 2005 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by s_ribbens
    I still have a tough time seeing how changing your oil every 3000 miles can actually be bad?
    Seth
    Oh it's not bad....just overkill and over-spending on money which could be saved for when you have to flush your brakes, tranny or gear oil.

All of which (except for brakes) should be AMSOIL only! How's that for a sales pitch.

Gio

My Cars
    purple ///m3
    I never knew they were located in fort wayne. My mom works on the same street not too far down and our house is only like 15 minutes away.

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    I'll do a case study for Frank if he's willing. It would be good to see how it worked on a high performance 100K mile BMW engine (S50).Tell him to get a hold of me, I'll do compression tests before and after and try to take some valve train pics, although I'm not crazy about pulling my valve cover off twice. I could also do a MPG report before and after. Although if this stuff is just snake oil, he may be reluctant to want another detailed critique of his product. If this stuff really works he'd make a good chunk of change from this forum alone with all the fanatics on here!
    Dakar 95 M3 (4/95 manufacture)
    Techno Violet 97 M3 (12/96 manufacture)
    Alpine White 16 535i M-Sport (10/15 manufacture)

My Cars
    05 Mustang GT, 92 Miata
    More discussion of AutoRX than you could ever want, both favorable and not: http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...?ubb=forum;f=5
    -Boondoggie

My Cars
    E92 M3 Comp
    case-if you want to try and get some free product from him, i think it would be appropriate for you to call him. he has offered in the past, some free product to me when i told him about my mother's car that is high mileage and does lots of highway driving everyday. though she's too busy with her business to be concerned about doing this.

My Cars
    98 M3/4; 92 325
    Quote Originally Posted by Boondoggie
    The article I linked to an quoted above (post#64) suggests you just might be hurting your car...
    I've read lots of what they have, but translating what they have, the way they set up their test, while interesting reading, wouldn't necessarily apply to BMW m5x S5x engines. In fact, I find it doubtful. They haven't explained the high copper well, other than to lend that many LS1 engines are showing this. It isn't from additives, and it IS bad. EG, like an engine I had under warranty that had a low end knock infrequently at start-up, like 2 seconds, probably from a bad check-valve in oil pump or similar. Dealer said, "that's characteristic of that engine". To which I replied, "yeah, and is a scored crank going to be characteristic at 50k miles"? Just because it happens a lot doesn't make it ok.

They have no controls over the data they're getting from others, etc.

Uphsot: I wouldn't call this "worse wear up to 3k miles" an impossibility with our engines, but I'd have to see a well-controlled study with our engines and more than one kind of oil, to have any expectation that it applies to us.

ADS

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    nightkrawler -have you developed any leaks with the ARX?

My Cars
    E92 M3 Comp
    no, not that i can see. ygm caseibrius, and here is a copy of what i sent to frank the inventor of autorx and the reply.

12-22-04 Auto-Rx would be delighted to accept this challenge. We will pay Dyson Oil Analysis for testing oil samples and will send "Matt" a check for $30.00 to cover gaskets. We would definitely want before and after photos and request that duplicate posts be made on "BITOG" and Auto-Rx Forum
    (good or bad results ) Rich Eklund above will supply application data (Matt his e-mail is above-Terry Dyson will supply oil analysis kits, his e-mail is above ) please contact Larry Davis (e-mail above ) for "your club coupon. Thank You Dave for your enthusiasm for Auto-Rx Chemistry. Matt please copy me with various e-mail (auto-rx@worldnet.att.net) to everyone Merry Christmas.
    Frank Miller
    Inventor

Dave Smith wrote:

hi frank, dave from pa, with the bmw, we spoke yesterday. i have drummed up some interest on the board and have an offer for you, if your interested. here is a link to the thread on the forum, please take the time to read the whole thread, http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...6&page=1&pp=25 the stuff about auto-rx is on the last 2 pages of the thread. also here is an email one of the members sent me, his screen name is casebrius,he is not a moderator, just a member of the board like me. when you read the thread you will see my posts, my screen name is nightkrawler, here is casebrius's email to me,
    "Tell Frank if he wants to do a case study in a BMW high performance engine (S50 M3) with 100K on the clock I would be willing to do a compression test before and after and also take pics of filter and whatever else he wants. If this works well for our engines, you can understand how much revenue it would generate for him with the fanatics on this board alone. If he supplies the product free, I'll do all the rest, I could even send a couple blackstone samples in if he wanted. As far as before and after valve train pictures, that would cost me since VC gaskets are ~$30 and I'm really not to keen on taking mine off for obvious reasons. If he's not willing, I'd definately be up for a coupon though. His site has me wondering if I'm just a sucker for good marketing or he's really on to something. Most of the testamonials are positive. Thanks -- Matt"

My Cars
    E92 M3 Comp
    again, for the record. i have NO affaliation with frank miller or auto-rx, nor am i gaining anything for pushing his product. i have just stumbled upon a product that actually seems to work and i want to share it with you guys. im sick and tired like probably the rest of you are at using solvent flushes, slick 50 type additives, and other types of snake oil that do nothing but lighten your wallet.

My Cars
    F10, E30
    Very interesting looking over that forum. I'll be curious to see bf.c member results with this product.
    Seth

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    Me and my big TRAP! j/k -I actually find this would be interesting to do. Mind you, I'm not an ingrate but I'd need two valve cover gaskets and my car only sees about 600 miles a month, so the study may take a few months to complete. If Frank is willing to give me free Auto-Rx and money for gaskets, ($50 from Bimmerparts.com unless someone can find em cheaper) I'd definately take the challenge and give detailed feedback as well as send oil for analysis. I don't baby the car by any means (I take care of it like a first-born but drive it hard - like an M3 is meant to be driven). I drive it hard and hopefully will be doing a couple DE's and auto-X's this spring, so the product will definately get a work-out in my engine. I'll take this up with him in an email, but if he's willing, I'm willing. Stay tuned, I'll let you know what he sais.

My Cars
    M3 1995
    So do we get some kind of BF discount?

My Cars
    E92 M3 Comp
    hey guys, casebrius has been in contact with frank miller, inventor of auto-rx, and his associates. they are going to provide him everything he needs to do this "test".
    toussi, a couple months back, frank was trying to decide wether to keep offering coupons for the product, or offer free shipping on the product. he used to do both. he was collecting feedback on the dilema from different people who use the product, including myself. i dont remember what conclusion he came to. shoot him an email and ask him. tell him that dave smith with the M3 from PA, sent you. on the contact page of the site, the email address listed is his.

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    I'm currently putting some miles on Dino oil to get a base oil analysis before doing a Auto-Rx flush on my engine. After I get some more miles on my car, I will pull the valve cover, take some pics and also do a compression test. I then plan on using the Auto-Rx for the prescribed period. Then I will pull the valve cover again and do a compression test and pictures after treatment. Also I will have oil analysis done before, during and after using the Auto-Rx. It should be a good test to see if this product helps a M3 at all. It has no problems and runs strong now, so the test should be interesting. I'll post results when i have them.

My Cars
    95 325i, 00 Z3M, 17 540i
    I know this was 6 years ago, but what was the conclusion if any?

My Cars
    98 cosmo m3
    Quote Originally Posted by osuwari View Post
    I know this was 6 years ago, but what was the conclusion if any?

ur just wasting ur time, juss buy sum synthetic oil and get a chrome autozone oil cap (so you keep your oil fresher) and ur good 2 go for 15k atleast,

My Cars
    1998 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by M3zie View Post
    25k miles between oil changes???

The most I usually go is 8k with mobil 1 synthetic...am I doing something wrong?
    No. You are being smart. Wear rates start rising above 12,000 miles in just about any piston engine. A bypass filter will help greatly with long oil change intervals.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Wow... nice bump of a dead 6 year old bump of a 13 year old thread.. well done... Anyway, welcome.

Rich
    No matter where you go, there you are...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast