Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Take a look at this "Oil change intervals"

My Cars
    Wicked White Evolution X
    That sludge is nasty. What can be done to fix that? I mean is there some sort of treatment you put in the engine to help the sludge come out? I know mine is clean because I changed the valve cover gasket myself and everything was good.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Daved
    I just follow the oil lights on the cluster. Is anything wrong with them?
    That depends I think. If you're using synthetic oil the frequency should be lower.

2005 Audi (Purchased 07/09) - 2005 Yamaha R6 (Raven) (Purchased 5/06)
    07/97 BMW (Sold 08/09) - 03/01 Audi A4 1.8TMCX (Sold 06/03)

Please do NOT PM me! Email me: clumpymold@sbcglobal.net

My Cars
    ZHP | S52 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Casebrius
    :
    Go in and ask them if they have the MADD fundraiser calendar. It is a national fundraiser that is sold for $1 per calendar. In it you will find a coupon for buy 3 get 3 free Mobil 1! (as well as a few other good ones) The coupon is valid through 2005 I think. I bought 5 calendars to stock up!
    Yep...take a look at this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeM3
    That sludge is nasty. What can be done to fix that? I mean is there some sort of treatment you put in the engine to help the sludge come out? I know mine is clean because I changed the valve cover gasket myself and everything was good.
    There was recent talk about using "Gunk" or similar products to flush the engine here. Lots of members advised against this, but I don't know that it would do too much harm, would it? Another suggestion, which is of controversy, is the use of ATF in the engine just prior to oil change. This is also a method to rid the "ticking" noise.

My Cars
    '14 Tacoma & '88 300e
    Quote Originally Posted by cielo
    Yep...take a look at this thread.

There was recent talk about using "Gunk" or similar products to flush the engine here. Lots of members advised against this, but I don't know that it would do too much harm, would it? Another suggestion, which is of controversy, is the use of ATF in the engine just prior to oil change. This is also a method to rid the "ticking" noise.
    For you guys that change your oil every 6-7k do you track your car and how hard do you drive it? I track my car and change it at every 3k and it seem rather dirty....And I have always heard to change at around 3k.....I am sure if you don't track it or drive hard all the time 6-7k would be fine.

My Cars
    1999 M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jetmech3421
    Soon after I purchased my M3, I went to a local independent BMW shop (Autobahn Motorworks Inc in Mundelein, IL) to ask their opinion regarding synthetic vs mineral oil and oil change intervals. He suggested that no matter what type of oil you use, due to the fact that these cars run rich when first started, you shouldn't exceed 3000 miles between oil changes.

His reasoning is that the rich mixture results in fuel blowing past the piston rings on initial startup and diluting the oil over time. Leave your oil in much longer then 3000 miles, and and even synthetic oil looses much of it's lubricity due to the fuel dilution factor.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Maybe that's got some effect on the sludge build up seen in the posted pic as well?
    Ummm, what?!?!?!
    Even if enough fuel got into the oil, oil temps reach way way WAY WAY <B>WAY</B> over the boiling point of most of the constituents of fuel. There is no way that the amount of fuel that ends up staying in the oil could cause any dilution in the efficacy of the oil. That is quite simply BS and a way for them to justify changing the oil for $$$ every 3k miles.

Look around the Track boards and ask the people who actually open up and rebuild their engines about the benefits of synth vs. dino oil.

For what it's worth, I change my filter every ~3500 miles and synth oil every 7-8k miles.
    -Brian

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    Oil is going to get dirty with use no matter what. I guess the real proof is the sample that Blackstone analyzes. I know a guy that uses his synthetic oil in a diesel engine for at least 20K miles. This isn't an enormous reservoir engine either, its a smaller pick-up size. He does send a sample to blackstone every 5K just for shits and giggles. I think he uses a Shell Synthetic. I think most synthetic can be used for FAR longer than people are giving it credit for. Someone on here said recently they were going to send a sample to Blackstone - Up until now I have never heard an M3 testamonial of oil analysis. Don't get me wrong, I know an M3 abuses oil more than the average engine, but I think 3K is a little premature to change it.
    Dakar 95 M3 (4/95 manufacture)
    Techno Violet 97 M3 (12/96 manufacture)
    Alpine White 16 535i M-Sport (10/15 manufacture)

My Cars
    '96 M3; '12 Mercedes GL
    First of all, there is no way to know the true story behind that picture. I'm also interested to see that a 2001 vehicle has 82,000+ miles on it - that's around 18,000 or so a year which, in many books, is a lot of miles.

I had a 2001 X5 and was irritated about the 15K mile oil changes, considering I had to put in about a quart and a half about 8 monhts into the cycle to address the burn-off. I relate that more to the temperature of my environment (Phoenix) and my driving habits. In the end I figured that the 15k interval must have been acceptable and that they wouldn't have taken any additional risk of damaging the motor. After all, they might "save" a few bucks on doing one change per year versus 2 (included in maintenance) but if it truly was bad for the motor they'd be shooting themselves in the foot from a resale and warranty perspective.

Remember that BMW and many other high-end manufacturers make a ton of money through their Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) program. If the 15k oil change interval damaged the engine in any way they would face increased maintenance costs on the back end which would reduce or eliminate their profits on the sale. This isn't a good way to run a business so I'm sure they thought this through. I may be smoking crack, but that's my thinking.

On my '96 M3 I use Lubro Moly 5w40 synthetic every 6k with a filter change at 3k. I'd do it at longer intervals because I'm a more passive driver these days, but the environment in Phoenix isn't very car friendly.

My Cars
    E36M,E46M,951S,CBR
    if u use cheap regular oil. then change it every 3k miles. if u have synthetic, then change it every 5k miles. it also depends how hard u drive the car. and always check ur dipstick to see if the oil is clean or not. i dont look at the light meter anymore cuz i dont think itll record how hard i drive my car sometimes. since i track my car, i usually change it once after 2 or 3 track days. usually the oil comes out clean.. other times its black as fawk. just check ur dipstick when u get gas or something.

My Cars
    E36M,E46M,951S,CBR
    oOO.. also.. i doubt u can harm ur engine if u change ur oil too much. changing ur oil is the best insurance ull have on your engine. just my $0.02 here

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Oil is going to get dirty with use no matter what. I guess the real proof is the sample that Blackstone analyzes. I know a guy that uses his synthetic oil in a diesel engine for at least 20K miles. This isn't an enormous reservoir engine either, its a smaller pick-up size. He does send a sample to blackstone every 5K just for shits and giggles. I think he uses a Shell Synthetic. I think most synthetic can be used for FAR longer than people are giving it credit for. Someone on here said recently they were going to send a sample to Blackstone - Up until now I have never heard an M3 testamonial of oil analysis. Don't get me wrong, I know an M3 abuses oil more than the average engine, but I think 3K is a little premature to change it.
    I submitted a sample to Blackstone after my last oil change (about 1k miles ago, 2-3 months ago). No problems except a high content of copper and lead - which was due to the Engine Restore I added. Everything seemed pretty normal. Some elements were SLIGHTLY over the average based on 4,700 mile changes.

I changed my oil (from dino oil to synthetic) about 6k miles ago. Here's the report if anybody's interested:

Last edited by clumpymold; 12-17-2004 at 02:51 PM.

My Cars
    E36M,E46M,951S,CBR
    Quote Originally Posted by clumpymold
    I submitted a sample to Blackstone after my last oil change (about 1k miles ago, 2-3 months ago). No problems except a high content of copper and lead - which was due to the Engine Restore I added. Everything seemed pretty normal. Some elements were SLIGHTLY over the average based on 4,700 mile changes.

I changed my oil (from dino oil to synthetic) about 6k miles ago. I can scan my sheet if anyone's interested.
    hahaha.. DO IT!!!

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2005 ZHP
    I just follow the service interval lights which equates to every ~5k miles for me.

Use BMW 5w-30 and have had no problems. Car runs great.

Its just OIL people!! Heheh....
    -Alan

2005 Porsche C2S Launch Edition
    2005 Jet Black 330i ZHP
    1998 Cosmos Black M3 (Gone)
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (Gone)

My 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT is for sale. Click here!

My Cars
    E36M,E46M,951S,CBR
    Quote Originally Posted by motosport3
    I just follow the service interval lights which equates to every ~5k miles for me.

Use BMW 5w-30 and have had no problems. Car runs great.

Its just OIL people!! Heheh....
    yea seriously.. cheapest INSURANCE U CAN HAVE ON UR ENGINE!!!

My Cars
    97 M3 sedan black on black, 90 325i
    ...the MADD fundraiser calendar. It is a national fundraiser that is sold for $1 per calendar. In it you will find a coupon for buy 3 get 3 free Mobil 1! ... bought 5 calendars to stock up!
    I am SOOO THERE!!!
    Tom --M3 SEDAN CLUB #55
    (TDWyatt)

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

My Cars
    M3/4 SC;X5 4.4;
    I submitted my oil to BlackStone a when my car was newer. I ran the oil accoding to BMW interval (9000) miles. I was using BMW 5w 30. I was Supercharged.

The analysis came back as good and it said that I can use further extended intervals.
    97 M3/4
    ...420rwhp...Dinan SC
    Tuned by AA, M50 Manifold, RMS Aftercooler
    3.5 Porsche HFM, 42# injectors, Supersprint Exhaust
    AA Turbo Clutch, AA LTW Flywheel, TCK Suspension
    AA Strut bars (F&R), XBrace, BMP Rear Camber Correcting Arm
    BBS RK wheels on Pilot PS2, CF Hood

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by gerry_miranda
    I submitted my oil to BlackStone a when my car was newer. I ran the oil accoding to BMW interval (9000) miles. I was using BMW 5w 30. I was Supercharged.

The analysis came back as good and it said that I can use further extended intervals.
    Wow, 9k miles!?

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    so that analysis basically said your oil was fine still right? How dirty did it look - what milage was that and was it Dino or synthetic - your post is a little confusing. Also, what did they charge to do this?

My Cars
    E92 M3 Comp
    a lab test is the best info you can get on the condition of your oil. this is a little ambiguous test, but you can try it, take ot the dip stick and put a bit of oil on your thumb and index finger. touch them together and the slowly pull them apart, noting how long the oil "stretches" before it breaks. my uncle showed me this test a long time ago. his reasoning is if the oil breaks like water then it's shot, if the bead of oil will stretch a bit then it still has a bit of life left in it. it sounds stupid, but he has a 1980 vw rabbit diesel with like 70k on it, works for him. anyway here is some good info, check out this site www.bobistheoilguy.com , and the forum, http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi .
    as for oil treatments check this out, http://www.auto-rx.com/ . i ordered 3 bottles of this stuff and im on the rinse phase right now. the motor started to quiet down after about 1k miles, and keeps getting quieter. when you call the # on the site, you actually talk to the inventor of this product! not some sales line or other bs. his name is frank and i have talked to him many times since i started using the treatment, hell of a nice guy. check out the auto-rx, great stuff imo.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    so that analysis basically said your oil was fine still right? How dirty did it look - what milage was that and was it Dino or synthetic - your post is a little confusing. Also, what did they charge to do this?
    I think this post is confusing. Who are you talking to?

My Cars
    m3
    how much is that oil analysis
    "The main thing about money, Bud, is that it makes you do things you don't want to do."

"The great difference between us, Angelos, is this: you believe you have found salvation, and believing this, you are saved; I believe that salvation does not exist, and believing this I am saved."

My Cars
    M3/4 SC;X5 4.4;
    Oil was still fine. It did not need changing, even after 9000 miles. It looked dark. Its Synth BMW 5w 50
    97 M3/4
    ...420rwhp...Dinan SC
    Tuned by AA, M50 Manifold, RMS Aftercooler
    3.5 Porsche HFM, 42# injectors, Supersprint Exhaust
    AA Turbo Clutch, AA LTW Flywheel, TCK Suspension
    AA Strut bars (F&R), XBrace, BMP Rear Camber Correcting Arm
    BBS RK wheels on Pilot PS2, CF Hood

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    was talking to you clumpy, but Gerry's feedback is nice too!

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    was talking to you clumpy, but Gerry's feedback is nice too!
    Oh, I see. Well, the information you asked for is in my post. Synthetic oil after 6k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by 98sedanM3
    how much is that oil analysis
    $20.00. But you'll need to order an oil sample kit first (to capture the oil and mail it back). They'll send you three or so more kits after your first one.

My Cars
    530i Pickup. E30 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by gerry_miranda
    Oil was still fine. It did not need changing, even after 9000 miles. It looked dark. Its Synth BMW 5w 50
    The one thing that people refuse to understand in these cases is that the oil is probably quite capable of lubricating correctly for 2 or 3 times longer than what you're seeing now.

BUT !!! It can't suspend any more particles of crap than any other oil. Therefore, it leaves the particles behind and that's where your sludge comes from.

So now you have a sludged up engine, but your oil is still lubricating the moving parts just fine. UNTIL.... some of that sludge migrates into one of the tiny oil galleries and suddenly your "fine" oil can't get where it needs to. Goodbye motor.

Changing your filter more often won't cut it either. If you really want to save a few hundred dollars a year, spend $1500 on a multi stage remote filter system like Amsoil requires for their 20K mile change intervals.

Brett Anderson
    KMS

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Anderson
    The one thing that people refuse to understand in these cases is that the oil is probably quite capable of lubricating correctly for 2 or 3 times longer than what you're seeing now.

BUT !!! It can't suspend any more particles of crap than any other oil. Therefore, it leaves the particles behind and that's where your sludge comes from.

So now you have a sludged up engine, but your oil is still lubricating the moving parts just fine. UNTIL.... some of that sludge migrates into one of the tiny oil galleries and suddenly your "fine" oil can't get where it needs to. Goodbye motor.

Changing your filter more often won't cut it either. If you really want to save a few hundred dollars a year, spend $1500 on a multi stage remote filter system like Amsoil requires for their 20K mile change intervals.

Brett Anderson
    KMS
    But how many engines have you heard of that die from having oil changes done more than 9k miles using synthetic? Is this common?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast