Thread: Would you buy a used e36 M3 with a supercharger?

My Cars
    2003 M5

Would you buy a used e36 M3 with a supercharger?

I found a 97 sedan with Vortech supercharger on it. I ran a carfax and it has had only one owner and the car has 52xxx miles. If I had a pre purchase inspection, would there be other problems I should be worried about? Basically, I dont know much about superchargers and their inherent dangers on the engine. Thanks...still searching for my M3 sedan.
    joe

My Cars
    95 M3 and 03.5 M3
    NO!! I would never buy a car with a Supercharger!! Sorry, I know people will say that a properly setup supercharger is ok for the engine but you are putting a tons of additional stress on the motor that wasn't initially speced for!

You might get a year with no problems but then????? Look for a car with a nice owner!! IMHO!!

My Cars
    just an old 328
    I would buy it... but u just have to remember that with the extra power you will have problems with certain things over time. What do u expect when you throw 100hp over what the car was designed for.
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

My Cars
    2003 M5
    I am truely unsure of what to do. The owner is in his early 40's, and its never been to the track/auto. Its in mint, at least from what I have heard/seen. It actually might be one of the nicest E36 sedans I have ever seen. Willy's might be the exception!
    Joe

My Cars
    BMW M3 S/C, 325e
    Buy It! A M3 with S/C that has been taken care of is a good buy. You will get much more bang for your buck! Just get a pre-purchase inspection done on it.

96 M3 320rwhp
    85 325e (sold)
    80 320i turbo (sold)

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    >>You might get a year with no problems but then????? Look for a car with a nice owner!! IMHO!! <<

That is such a bunch of prejudicial crap! I had my Dinan Vortech installed in Dec of '99 at 6K miles...Today, I have 40K miles, and the engine is as solid as its ever been...Hasnt spent a day in the shop for any problems whatsoever...Its not the SC...its how the car is driven and cared for. For the originator of the thread, youre much better off with a car thats been cared for than one that hasnt...these cars take to forced induction like fish to water. Theres no reason the engine will have problems if its taken care of. If the Blower fails during the life of the car, big deal...Get it rebuilt for not a fortune, and be on your way....If you want a powerful M3, and dont want to go through the expense of installing the SC yourself, then finding one in good shape already equipped will save you alot of money, and give you alot of bang for your buck.
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/

My Cars
    2003 M5
    The only thing holding me back, is the fact that I had some problems with my old 95 M3 and had to put a lot of cash into it before it was back in good shape. I dont want to go through that again.

My Cars
    95 M3 and 03.5 M3
    Originally posted by paul e
    That is such a bunch of prejudicial crap!
    Ha Ha!! I knew I would stir someone up with that one!

My point is, you don't know how the car has been driven!! The supercharger puts signifiacantly more strain on the engine of which you have no clue how the engine has been used? Before you come back at me that you never know how the car was driven you are right! But, if someone were to install a supercharger in an M3 I would be suspicious?? A chip, intake or things of the sort ok.... But a supercharger? Sorry but this isn't normal in the M3 enthusiests ranks. espec. someone who is in their 40's???
    (I think most people would agree that board members are not the normal M3 owner) I love them to death tho....

All I am saying is I would rather have a non-forced induction car from someone in their 40's. Sorry. But the worries for future engine/tranny/Diff problems are greatly reduced. You might get a deal up front on cost but in a year or two when you have to replace stuff that ordinarily doesn't go bad it might have been better to have put your own super. in.

Sorry, but if you feel that an extra 80-100+ hp isn't going to shorten the length of life on a engine yet alone other components you are just fooling yourself!!

Do what you want. I say look for a nice sedan without a supercharger. Then install one if you really want one. There are plenty of great sedans out there owned but people who have never given the car a "workout."

sorry for the spelling but am too tired to go back and fix it.

My Cars
    2003 M5
    Thanks......after some thinking, those are my thoughts exactly. I should stick with my original intentions of buying a stock or almost stock sedan with a CPO warranty.
    Joe

My Cars
    Nissan Titan, M5
    I would go for it! You know sooner or later you're gunna s/c it anyway. And even if he has tracked it, just look as track time as excersize for your car....
    BFC Nikonian #1

My Cars
    2003 AW/Black M3
    If you have a reputable place (other than a dealer) do the pre-buy for you, I don't see why this should be an issue. While a SC gives you significantly more power, and YES, it can tax an engine more than it was supposed to be, this doesn't mean that the owner abused the extra power. Or even drove it all that hard for that matter. Having an SC doesn't mean you HAVE to beat on your car. Perhaps he was a guy who just liked to have the extra power on tap.

IMHO, it's all in the pre-buy inspection!!!
    <font face="century gothic"><b><font size="2">2003 Alpine White M3...</font></b>
    <font face="century gothic"><b><font size="1"></font></b><br />
    The infamous "Paul E." and I after some detailing...

My Cars
    2003 530i
    geez, you only live once. have it checked out thoroughly, and then go for it. how many times have you heard about FI M3 engines failing? if the car is taken care of, and you are willing to continue taking care of it, it shouldn't be a major problem.
    before i bought it, i would probably have it dynoed just to see how much power it was making and how well tuned it was.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5
    hmm... i think i've seen the ad for this car...is it yellow? If so, that car looks ultra clean. I'd definitely get it checked out but seems like it would be a good car.
    1997 M3/4/5 - Arctic Silver/Dove Grey
    2003 530i - Black Sapphire/Black - Sold
    2003.5 M3 Vert/SMG - Carbon Black/Black - Sold
    1997 M3/4/5 - Cosmos Black/Dove Grey -Sold
    1993 325i/5 - Jet Black/Beige - RIP

My Cars
    2003 M5
    Originally posted by samm3
    hmm... i think i've seen the ad for this car...is it yellow? If so, that car looks ultra clean. I'd definitely get it checked out but seems like it would be a good car.
    Yeah, you have seen the add. I have done a lot of looking into it and everything about it seems great, but I am still pretty leary about it. It is super clean though. I would definitely have it checked out. : It has a great price tooo.
    Joe
    very confused

My Cars
    '06 330i 6MT Sport
    Remember the Dinan supercharger does not void the factory warranty....... I don't know if this is a Dinan but at the same time if superchargers blew up every trans and engine then BMW would say no way to covering dinan under warranty. Just my 2 cents.

Ryan

My Cars
    95 M3 and 03.5 M3
    BMW doesn't cover Dinan stuff. Dinan covers Dinan's stuff. If something breaks within the engine you are going to be dealing with Dinan, or atleast they are going to be paying out in the end.

My Cars
    02 530i, 70 Cuda 440-6

Smile

It's HIGH RPM that places additional stresses on the engine and drivetrain, not the supercharger. Ray

My Cars
    04 Imola M3

xXX

I would recommend you take the car to a reputable independent bimmer shop to have an inspection done. There is some advantages of having a car with lots of mods done...like getting stuffs for free . No need to do any mods when you bought the car..but then people that modified their car don't sit and admire it...they drive it and take it to the track so that's your dilema. I bought my car bone stock so I can modify the way I want to..but one of the guy I know bought his car..fully modified with Dinan...I know it a touch choice..btw..I think at the dealer, they can hook up the DME? to find out what type of driving...ie..how many times red lines been reach to find out about driving habits...check it out.

My Cars
    AA Turbo 325, Infiniti
    A new supercharger costs more than an engine replacement would be, and odds are there is another 100k left in that motor.

People are really nuts sometimes. Buying a modded well done car is a MUCH better deal than doing it yourself.

If you put a supercharger on a car, then wanted to sell it 20K later, do you think the motor would be ready to fall apart? Of course not.

My Cars
    2003 M5
    Thanks for the replies guys, the input was very helpful. I have found my new sedan....Estoril Blue and completely stock. Absolutely beautiful. Hopefully will be picking it up today or tomorrow.
    Joe

My Cars
    2003 M5
    :