Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: subwoofers are causing trunk to rattle...any suggestions?

My Cars
    2005 325ci

subwoofers are causing trunk to rattle...any suggestions?

Hi guys, I just bought two JL 10W3v2's in JL's high-output box. The bass sounds great, but when I turn the volume up the trunk rattles quite a bit. If I have the trunk open there is no rattling. Does anyone know what I can do to minimize or eliminate the rattle?

Thanks in advance,
    -Steve

My Cars
    '09 328i Cp/'90 325i
    open your trunk and the waves escape. keep it close they bounce all around. get some sound deadening in there.

My Cars
    2005 325ci
    Would something like dynamat help? I had all of my audio equipment professionally installed. I'm not too familar on the process of sound deadening the trunk. My other obstacle is that my bmw is being leased. Does that limit me with options in terms of reducing the rattle?

Thanks again,
    Steve

My Cars
    99' Cosmos ///M3
    Quote Originally Posted by sgachko
    Would something like dynamat help? I had all of my audio equipment professionally installed. I'm not too familar on the process of sound deadening the trunk. My other obstacle is that my bmw is being leased. Does that limit me with options in terms of reducing the rattle?

Thanks again,
    Steve
    hmnmm i would discuss that with your dealership and ask them if its ok. Sound deadening would be extremely hard to remove if installed right, plus it would probably leave some residue. either way sound deadening is what will help dampen out the trunk to decrease rattling. Id talk with your dealership about it first.....? just a thought.

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMuchacho
    hmnmm i would discuss that with your dealership and ask them if its ok. Sound deadening would be extremely hard to remove if installed right, plus it would probably leave some residue. either way sound deadening is what will help dampen out the trunk to decrease rattling. Id talk with your dealership about it first.....? just a thought.
    You guys do realize sound deadening is not made for getting rid of rattles. There are better products out there for that
    Dreams are what you make of them

My Cars
    2005 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by haibane
    You guys do realize sound deadening is not made for getting rid of rattles. There are better products out there for that
    haibane- what kind of products are you refering to?

My Cars
    99 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMuchacho
    Wouldnt the deadening material go under the carpet though? I mean, you would really have to be looking for it in order to find it.

[SIZE=1]r
    M5 front and rear bumpers, eisenmann race exhaust, supersprint straight pipe, m5 shifter, cdv removed, updated celis taillights, umnitza predator angrl eye's, euro style headlight assemblies, euro spec hella celis projectors, 6500k hid lows, 6500k hid fogs

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540iA
    Dynamat makes a kit specifically for the trunk, its kinda pricey though, and if thats a concern, eBay it up!!! but yeah i have the same rattle, its not a bad one tho i dont think, lets the people behind you know that youve got a kickass system!!!!!

My Cars
    99' Cosmos ///M3
    Quote Originally Posted by eric77
    Wouldnt the deadening material go under the carpet though? I mean, you would really have to be looking for it in order to find it.
    yeah man thats why im sayin its just a thought but neither of us know for sure...

My Cars
    325is, maxima
    you might want to try baffleling like putting pading in areas that rattle. Like the egg shell bedding and stuff you use to sleep on when camping. this is easly removed or you can spray adhesive it for more permanet. this will absorb extra waves and give you a deeper sound. rattles are ususally cause of hallow areas between sheet metal where waves get trapped. one thing that is awsome is expanding foam but you can really mess up stuff with it. i used it in my maxima and the lock got stuck shut. but these are some ideas you might want to researh

My Cars
    The Three and the Two
    This is going to sound stupid, but go in the trunk, and find out exactly where its coming from. It will be alot easier and quicker if you know where its coming from.
    BMWe

1976 BMW 2002
    1995 BMW 325i Saloon

My Cars
    '09 328i Cp/'90 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by haibane

It would sure as hell help if not stop them. If its something like a brake lite rattling against a back window then it will not, but if deadener is installed, it will absord alot of the waves bouncing around, instead of redirecting them in another direction, potentially rattle spots.

My Cars
    2005 325ci
    Thanks for the suggestions guys...I'm going to research how I would install the dynamat for the trunk. Does anyone have an idea how difficult a job this would be?

-Steve

My Cars
    1997 Dinan M3
    I recommended to a friend the "Dynaliner" kit from Dynamat to eliminate noise in his trunk. This is a big sheet of 1/2 inch foam that can be applied underneath your carpet, trimmed to fit, and removed whenever you want. Also place some behind the carpet in both wheel-wells. 2 kits will be enough. The final result was a big thank you from my buddy who has 2 10's in a 740i. Good Luck!
    SOUND SYSTEM:
    Rockford Fosgate 3420
    Zapco - SP4-SL EQ/Pre-amp
    Zapco - C2K 3.0
    Zapco - C2K 4.0
    Zapco - C2K 9.0
    MB Quart - QSD213 Rear Deck
    MB Quart - QSD213 Doors
    MB Quart - QSD216 Kicks
    JL - 13W7 Sub
    Stinger - 1700 Battery
    Rockford Fosgate - 25 Fared Cap

PERFORMANCE:
    All Dinan - Stage II Supercharger, Clutch, Braces, and Exhaust

My Cars
    Ferrari
    Hey. I PM'd you about some left over deadener I have. I also wanted to ask if you had any speakers in the rear deck? If so, you could remove these speakers as to allow more bass to flow through into the cabin and not be trapped in the trunk, which should eliminate some of the rattle.

My Cars
    06 M roadster
    The lock on my trunk rattles, wtf am I supposed to do about that?

My Cars
    74 2002,00 Mcoupe
    you could always go overboard and do what i did.

but it's not really necessary. chances are there are only 1 or 2 things that are making all the noise. check the rear deck first. i've heard thats the worse spot.

My Cars
    E90 335i
    Holy crap!!! That's insane!! it looks like the inside of a space shuttle or something

I think a rattling trunk is pretty "ghetto" myself... Most of the time it's the crappy cars around here that have the rattle in the trunk.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    i found that my license plate rattled and putting some deadener on the back of it silenced it. also my rear deck rattled. so i took it out and put 2 old tshirts underneath and that cleared it up.

you may have other spots though...

My Cars
    2005 325ci
    hey guys- just to update everyone...I dynamatted the top part of the trunk (behind the drop down tool compartment) as well as stuffing some foam underneath the rear deck. The rattling is virtually gone from the inside of the car. I guess when you are running 2 JL 10's in a JL ported box you are still going to hear some rattling from the outside....it's still much much better than before.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

My Cars
    99' Cosmos ///M3
    glad youre happy. getting rid of all rattles from the outside of the car is near impossible, there will always be some vibrations and flexing with high output subwoofer trunk setups

My Cars
    Black X5 sittin on dubs
    Quote Originally Posted by sgachko
    hey guys- just to update everyone...I dynamatted the top part of the trunk (behind the drop down tool compartment) as well as stuffing some foam underneath the rear deck. The rattling is virtually gone from the inside of the car. I guess when you are running 2 JL 10's in a JL ported box you are still going to hear some rattling from the outside....it's still much much better than before.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
    Dynamat helps a lot. And listening to find the culprit.

My Cars
    1999 323is
    I can't believe you said you had them professionally installed, and they did not offer Dynamat. I know many installers and that offer this up front to avoid the hassel of putting it in later. You should go talk to the installers and tell them this is something they should have recommended. Also, get it done soon, because the rattleing is just wearing away the paint somewhere. And it it is the trunk lid rattleing then you will see the wear marks over time.