Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: How to disable steering wheel lock?

My Cars
    1997 318i
    2019 update - worked on 1997 E36 312i convertible

My Cars
    1999 328i
    Thanks maxxfish and pei330. I drove the car home first day of owning it and my steering and ignition locked up. A combo of both made it happen.. Plus I didn't cut the whole top piece off just about a 2in square. Cut lever and was able to slide it out.

My Cars
    yay
    Can someone explain why this happens and seems to happen on older E36's? Where is the failure that allows the steering to lock up while driving?
    CARS
    02.92 325is / 06.72 2002 / 02.91 XJ / 08.04 R53 JCW

My Cars
    '97 E36M3/4, '16 F80M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    Even with the spring out, its still technically possible for the wheel to lock since the mechanism is still there. It's unlikely and would take just the right bump, but possible. That's why i like my method above. The entire mechanism is removed.
    I also thought about how after spring removal, the lock mechanism could in theory still engage with just the right shock or vibration (my E36 is a track car, maybe by driving over corner curbing or rough rumble strips, or by hitting another car while on track?) since it's only gravity that keeps it from engaging...

I was thinking for paranoid types like me, a simpler "extra safe" method would be to add a sizable dab of JB Weld into the 3/8" hole to contact both the round bottom-facing nub of the lock mechanism that used to serve as the retainer of the top of the spring and the outer edges of the drilled hole. As long as you confirmed the lock was down (in the disengaged position) while the JB Weld was curing by checking that the steering wheel is unlocked, it should be effective to permanently prevent the lock from bouncing upward into the locked position. Much easier and less destructive than removing the entire bottom of the key cylinder housing to remove the lock mechanism.

A minor benefit to removing the steering lock spring for anyone who's fitting much bigger or wider wheels & tires on their E36... or is substantially lowering it: no steering lock means not needing to have the key in while you are turning the front wheels lock to lock to check clearance with the new setup. Also potentially convenient for autocrossers who spray down their tires with water between runs to keep them cool... don't need the key inserted to turn the front wheels to better access all of the tire tread surfaces when the car is parked in grid.

Here are more pics of where I drilled ('97 M3) to augment all the other previous pics in this thread... thanks to everyone who contributed over the years previously:

old-school autox/track car: '97 E36 M3/4
    new-school autox/track/street car: '16 F80 M3 DCT

My Cars
    2000 540i M Sport
    So I got an 99 E39 540i, trying to drill out the little lock spring. The thing is how do I take off the plastic casing around the Steering Column? I took out a screw at the top and bottom, but still can't get it out. I am not in a hurry, and don't want to break anything trying to get it out.

EDIT: I just found this YT video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2ujnbwLBzA
    Last edited by 540EyeHer; 10-19-2022 at 02:24 AM.

My Cars
    2000 540i M Sport
    OK, I drilled a hole in the right spot trying for the same area as in the Video. The spring came right out, and now everything appears to be working fine.

My Cars
    99 M3

How to disable steering wheel lock?

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    that pic is correct, EXCEPT, DO NOT drill where the hole in the pic is. drill where the red square is.

it really is that simple.

marshall

BimmerWorld photo retrieved from
    WayBack Machine
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 03-17-2023 at 12:15 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323iC

Worked like a charm

2023 checking in.

Just had the steering wheel lock up my 1998 323iC in my work parking lot. Fun.

Used a nice sharp 3/8" drill bit and it sliced through like butter. Drilled in dead center of the metal rectangle and the spring fell right out. Problem solved in 90 seconds! Thanks everyone!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567