Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How to disable steering wheel lock?

My Cars
    The "iMposter"
    Just did this a couple days ago. Worked like a charm. Spring fell about 1/2 way out when I removed the drill bit. I pulled it out with some needle nose pliers and all is good to go.

http://www.blackforestindustries.com/
    http://racingonthebrain.blogspot.com/
    "Motorsports...an addiction only overcome by poverty"

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Thants great!!!

jimcob

My Cars
    E46M3 Track/MCoupe DD

E46 Steering Lock Removal

Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
    Just saw this thread now.

For you E46 people, it can be done a little easier than Maxxfish has described. I dug into this a while ago without any real directions as well.

- You don't need to remove the EWS ring and lock cylinder.

- Use a Titanium bit, and the first 2 lock pins come out fairly easy.
    - The aluminum cover comes off by hand if the lock pins are drilled right.
    - Cut the top of the aluminum cover with a grinding wheel. (I used a 4" wheel)
    - The hardened pivot pin does not have to be removed, just cut the steel locking device in half next to the pin and everything comes off by hand.

The biggest PITA for most people doing this will be removing the airbag on the steering wheel...the rest of it is pretty straight forward. 1/2 hr from start to finish.
    My thanks to Max and PEI. A combination of their instructions worked for me too.

However, if I was to do it again I would still drill out the two roll pins, and remove the side cover.

I would then try to grind away the housing BELOW the tempered pivot pin such that I could drive it out from the top.

The locking plate should then come free I think, although it may get hung up in the cylinder worm gear and not be able to tilt enough?

If so, see instructions above

John Corbs

My Cars
    e36 328i
    Just did this over the weekend. Took maybe 5 mins.

The steering lock was blocking/hindering the ignition, so I just took the lock out. Now the ignition works like nothing happened.

Thanks guys

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Awesome!

My Cars
    97 528i
    did it yesterday on my 97 e39. worked great although i had to run an extension cord from my neighbors patio to the parking lot...lol my cordless died a year ago. took 5 minutes minus time to run cords etc.

My Cars
    94 M353is
    Did this two days ago. Definitely a great mod.

Oh, and a word to the wise: don't drill into the aluminum when there is a breeze... shavings all over the inside of the car now.

My Cars
    97 M3, 08 Odyssey
    This post saved my bacon today - thanks guys. Like LazyAmerican, my steering lock was permanently engaged and wouldn't allow the key to turn in the ignition cylinder. I drilled the hole (no need to remove the column covers, BTW), pulled out the spring, and my problem is solved.
    97 M3 - Estoril Blue 5spd Coupe
    Sound: 60GB Video iPod into Nakamichi CD-400, CDT Audio HD-642, RE Audio SE10, Phoenix Gold Xenon 600.1 and 200.2
    Handling: Koni SA, Eibach Pro-Kit, front strut bar, 245/35/18 Yokohama S.drive on RO_JA Formula 7, Rogue RSMs, GC RTAB shims
    Performance: Akebono Euro Ceramic pads, Zimmermann x-drilled rotors, DIY K&N CAI, ASC delete, Understeer SSK, UUC TMEs + clutch stop
    Appearance: OEM clears, rear lip spoiler

My Cars
    '91 BMW 318is,'95 M3
    I decided to perform this mod while swapping out my steering wheel for a Momo today. It didn't go as smoothly as some others' did but in the end it worked out.

I drilled a pilot hole in the middle, about where it looked like others had had success, then followed with a 3/8 drill. The bit I had was not very good and for the most part I was just creating a highly polished circle with a small hole in the middle. Finally after a fair amount of effort it punched through and hit the inner part hard. No sign of a spring, though. I was able to turn the wheel with the key out if I jiggled the inner piece so it dropped down but the key wouldn't turn more than 30 degrees. Reconnecting the battery showed that I could no longer engage the starter, it would only get to the accessory position but not with any detent.

I fished around in the hole as best I could but really thought I had screwed the pooch. I cursed my luck and internet advice in general and finally went to Home Depot to get a better drill bit and a cold chisel thinking I would probably have to replace the mechanism, meaning I'd have to back out the dreaded headless bolts by chiseling a slot and working them out.

The new cryogenically-treated cobalt bit cut through the aluminum like butter, but the second hole showed no more promise than the first. Figuring I had nothing to lose at this point I drilled a third hole, and, violins!, there was the spring. I pulled it out and was amazed to find that the ignition key returned to it's normal operation and it looks like I'll be able to start the car after all (once I finish some other work in progress).

I mainly thank Terry from Vorshlag for his post about his similar issues that convinced me to keep trying to find that spring.

So, for anyone else that may attempt this and fall into despair that they've disabled their M3, keep trying to get that spring out.

'91 E30 318is - Dinan chip, K&N cone intake, GC coilovers/camber plates, Koni shocks, ST sway bars, Supersprint exhaust.
    '95 E36 M3 - cosmos intake, 3.5" HFM, 24 lb. injectors, Vorshlag AST 5100 coilovers/camber plates, TMS sway bars, UUC exhaust.

My Cars
    E39 540i6, f30 328ix
    Quote Originally Posted by shoyoas View Post
    did it yesterday on my 97 e39. worked great although i had to run an extension cord from my neighbors patio to the parking lot...lol my cordless died a year ago. took 5 minutes minus time to run cords etc.
    did you drill on the red box as per the picture?

My Cars
    98 IP M3, and others
    38 Special with FMJ bullet

If you want to kill, not just disable the damned thing...go for the 44 mag and a hollow point
    ..."keep a little love in your heart and a taste of jazz in your soul."

JulianK8Z is offline Custom User Title BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1989 SpecE30
    Quote Originally Posted by BobWright View Post
    38 Special with FMJ bullet

If you want to kill, not just disable the damned thing...go for the 44 mag and a hollow point

My Cars
    318i
    Many thanks to all contributors to this post as i have been able to stop my steering lock killing me and my kids. It took me longer to take the drill and bit off the van than to get the spring out i was able to locate my spring right behind my first hole a nice big 10mm one which allowed me to pull the bugger out no more worrying about a new mech (£80 from local dealer to go on top the £45 which paid for a new ignition barrel which didnt cure anything - that was a load of fun to install) Anyway one happy bimmerforum member here, now to tackle the central locking blowing a fuse, the broken wing mirror, new brakes, drivers window not working oh the joys of bmw motoring :-)

My Cars
    E46 M3
    +1 for an informative thread. Just saved my bacon, my spring was lodged in sideways.
    Moving on up.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    This fix just worked for me. Took longer to gather up the tools. The hole was right in the middle of the spring, took it out and steering doesn't lock up during driving anymore.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    #205 GTS3, GL450, 986S
    Great thread. The middle hole worked for me on a 7/95 build M3. The spring came right out!

My Cars
    #94 IP, '68 250SE '17 M3
    Finally going to do this this weekend (key has been stuck in the ignition since last October ). Was wondering if there are any differences with the tilt-wheel columns?
    '94 325is #94 IP/GTS3 Mauritius Blue Metallic
    "And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

My Cars
    The "iMposter"
    Mine was tilt wheel...1993 325is...and worked as shown in my pictures above.

http://www.blackforestindustries.com/
    http://racingonthebrain.blogspot.com/
    "Motorsports...an addiction only overcome by poverty"

My Cars
    03 540i M sport 98 328i
    Jus did this on my 96 328is that locks up after starting. Thanks! I drilled mine dead center.

My Cars
    1992 325i Coupe
    Yay, this method worked flawlessly for my 92 325i with tilt-option. The spring fell out instantly. Thanks bimmerforums!

edit: I drilled exactly where shiza40 did, using a 9.5mm titanium drill.
    Last edited by zer0her0; 11-15-2010 at 08:30 AM.

My Cars
    95 M3, 07 Titan, 96 XJ
    this work with E30's

E30 Turbo 2.8L - 60ft - 1.70 :: 1/8th - 6.99 :: MPH - 105.47 :: 1/4 - 10.66 :: MPH - 132.53
    Daily E36 M3 - 60ft - 1.790 :: 1/8th - 8.20 :: MPH - 84.68 :: 1/4 - 12.81 :: MPH - 107.05
    *RIP* E36 M3 - 60ft - 1.944 :: 1/8th - 8.64 :: MPH - 80.00 :: 1/4 - 13.55 :: MPH - 99.95
    Cool2seat's TTstg1 E36 M3 - 60ft - 2.123 :: 1/8th - 8.44 :: MPH - 87.71 :: 1/4 - 12.94 :: MPH - 107.95

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    Quote Originally Posted by 91-e30-318is View Post
    I decided to perform this mod while swapping out my steering wheel for a Momo today. It didn't go as smoothly as some others' did but in the end it worked out.

I drilled a pilot hole in the middle, about where it looked like others had had success, then followed with a 3/8 drill. The bit I had was not very good and for the most part I was just creating a highly polished circle with a small hole in the middle. Finally after a fair amount of effort it punched through and hit the inner part hard. No sign of a spring, though. I was able to turn the wheel with the key out if I jiggled the inner piece so it dropped down but the key wouldn't turn more than 30 degrees. Reconnecting the battery showed that I could no longer engage the starter, it would only get to the accessory position but not with any detent.

I fished around in the hole as best I could but really thought I had screwed the pooch. I cursed my luck and internet advice in general and finally went to Home Depot to get a better drill bit and a cold chisel thinking I would probably have to replace the mechanism, meaning I'd have to back out the dreaded headless bolts by chiseling a slot and working them out.

The new cryogenically-treated cobalt bit cut through the aluminum like butter, but the second hole showed no more promise than the first. Figuring I had nothing to lose at this point I drilled a third hole, and, violins!, there was the spring. I pulled it out and was amazed to find that the ignition key returned to it's normal operation and it looks like I'll be able to start the car after all (once I finish some other work in progress).

I mainly thank Terry from Vorshlag for his post about his similar issues that convinced me to keep trying to find that spring.

So, for anyone else that may attempt this and fall into despair that they've disabled their M3, keep trying to get that spring out.
    How has this worked long term? It took me three holes like you to get that dam spring out. It is my neighbors car and he is a little worried the wheel may lock up while driving. If I push up on the Piece in the drilled holes the wheel locks and I have to bang on the wheel to get it to release. Car has about 250k on it and he doesn't want to spend money if he doesn't have to.

My Cars
    E53, E30/M50, E90, 2002
    Need to do this for NASA and just found this thread. Anyone know if the drilling location is the same for e30's?
    E53 X5
    E30/S52
    E90 325i

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i sedan
    hey guys, I have an E36 and the steering wheel just locked up on me one day, and cant get it to unlock!! I drilled the spot into the air gap, but dont see any spring... and its still locked!! I can crank the car, just the steering wheel stays locked... any suggestions??

Nevermind...4 holes later...spring and success!! thx to everyone... i was thinking i had to replace the ignition... expensive!!
    Last edited by jporter37; 02-16-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Just drilled out the middle (#1 spot), with a 3/8" drill bit, and the spring came out like butter. took more time getting the tools together, than it did taking it out.

PERFECT
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast