Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: What will happen if I put narrower tires on 17" rims?

My Cars
    Hellrot

What will happen if I put narrower tires on 17" rims?

I am buying a used set, and the tires on the rims are 215-40-17 instead of the oem 235/245-40-17. So what is the difference, other than the width. Will this make it handle worse, wear faster, not be as safe, slip off the rims...?

And why would someone do this? IS it to save money on the rims? To prevent rubbing?

Thanks

My Cars
    M3/4
    What width were the rims? If they're 17x7, that may be the correct size. If they're 17x7.5 or 17x8.5's they wanted the flexed out euro look; basically they wanted the tire contact patch to be smaller than the rim so the sidewall looks like this \_/ instead of |_|. It will handle worse and you may slip them off in a skid or accident.

My Cars
    Hellrot
    actually, I have no idea. I'm buying these used and the seller says they came standard on his car, 95 m3. I do not think they are 7", becasue all of the oem m3 rims came in 7.5 and 8.5, and his set are not staggard.

I do not drive in a crazy fashion but take some good turns on a daily basis, do I need to worry about the tires slipping off the rims.

My Cars
    M3
    Stock 95 M3 size is 235/40/17 on 17x7.5 wheels.
    The seller's size will be fine for speedo, abs, etc, but you won't have as large of a contact patch which will lower your ultimate handling limits. You'll also be more susceptible to curb rash since the lips will be exposed because of the narrow contact patch. I'd go with 235/40/17's on that wheel size.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin95Red325i
    actually, I have no idea. I'm buying these used and the seller says they came standard on his car, 95 m3. I do not think they are 7", becasue all of the oem m3 rims came in 7.5 and 8.5, and his set are not staggard.

I do not drive in a crazy fashion but take some good turns on a daily basis, do I need to worry about the tires slipping off the rims.
    Last edited by J///MR; 11-26-2004 at 11:27 PM.

My Cars
    Z3,996ttRWD,MeganeRS,957
    Quote Originally Posted by hal9000
    It will handle worse and you may slip them off in a skid or accident.
    Doesn't the car handle best when it has as wide wheels as possible (not talking about anything stretching a normal tire to a huge wheel). For example it's better to have a 255 tire on a 9.5" wide wheel than on a 8.5".

Have you sometimes experienced a tire slipping off a rim? I don't believe you at all. What are you talking about??

Blazin95Red325i, if the deal is great, buy those. If there's a 215 wide tire on a 8.5" wheel the biggest disadvantage is mainly the look. And of course it doesn't handle as good on a dry surface because you've got thinner tires. You can still do some track driving or drifting etc. safely. And I suggest you do, because then the tires are going to wear out faster and you can buy those nice 235's

My Cars
    92 325i

The skinny

aren't skinny tires better in the snow and ice? i could be totally off, but i have def heard that
    need any photoshop work done? send me an email

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by roundel325i
    aren't skinny tires better in the snow and ice? i could be totally off, but i have def heard that
    Yes but he lives in SoCal.

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    Hellrot
    Thanks for the informative replies, albeit the deal is not that great the price is rignt in my budget for now. They are not staggared but the oem 7.5's with 215's. But I plan on purchasing these because I cannot find anyone else with decent thread and condition wheels in my budget, well not as close for pick up. I will definetely pick up some 235 later when they wear out. can't wait, 205-215-235 huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizu
    Doesn't the car handle best when it has as wide wheels as possible (not talking about anything stretching a normal tire to a huge wheel). For example it's better to have a 255 tire on a 9.5" wide wheel than on a 8.5".

Have you sometimes experienced a tire slipping off a rim? I don't believe you at all. What are you talking about??

Blazin95Red325i, if the deal is great, buy those. If there's a 215 wide tire on a 8.5" wheel the biggest disadvantage is mainly the look. And of course it doesn't handle as good on a dry surface because you've got thinner tires. You can still do some track driving or drifting etc. safely. And I suggest you do, because then the tires are going to wear out faster and you can buy those nice 235's
    Last edited by Blazin95Red325i; 11-27-2004 at 03:44 PM.

My Cars
    M3/4
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizu

This is what is meant by the euro style stretched tire

Notice how the sidewall is not perpendicular to the tread/road and is bulged out at the bead by a good 1/2"? That will affect handling and if you hit it wrong, it will pop tires more easily than if they were properly sized.

My Cars
    Hellrot
    That looks stupid, what's the point of even putting tire shine on them, you can't see the sidewall. ANd I guess that is not dangerous if that is the way they mount their tires?

Thanks for the pic

My Cars
    E36 M3 E-spec
    The euro-tuning tires look really stupid imho. Especially in germany ppl are nuts for those atm, all their car mags full of pics with tires like that. I guess it does save some money since you can buy a higher profile and thinner tire and fit it in so it looks like a low profile tire.

It's one of those things usually only the one doing it appreciates.. like huge aluminium wings in civics, underlights and woowoo pipes in station wagons, articles in playboy.. oops i got carried away here Anyways if I haf to buy those tires I'd definetly burn them as fast as possible.

Oh yeah, they are possibly much easier to drift.