Thread: new BMW owner

new BMW owner

HI ,
    Since i just picked my bmw on saturday i have a few ?s for you guys out there! First the car is a 1987 325 es with 76,000 miles on it. Here are my problems.

1) crank handle for the sun roof hangs ,wont stay in the upright position.

2) seems to be leaking a little oil from the drain plug.

3) alarm light is flashing but no alarm!

4) cracked dashboard,can it be replaced or a dash cover?

5) truck seems to leak ? gasket or !

I would appreciate any help i can get on this since trying to work on cars and keep the price down.

Thaanks, Rick

My Cars
    1988 M3
    I can help you out a little bit with a few questions. My car had a stripped drain plug, so the previous owner put in a fix thing, so it made it leak a little because it does not seal perfectly. Maybe next time you change your oil, get a crush washer, and make sure to tighten it up to spec torque.

Dashboards can be replaced, or you can get a dash cover if you want to. I don't know how much they cost.

The trunk can be adjusted if it is not sealing correctly. At least on my M3, there is an adjustment for the latch, and there are two 'seats' that push against the trunk lining. Mine wasn't sealing properly, so I went and played around with it for a while.

Good luck, and enjoy the car!
    Bryan K.
    1988 ///M3
    1997 E36 ///M3 Project
    Texas A&M Formula SAE

My Cars
    87 325is

Anit Thief Device

Are you sure your "alarm" light isn't just the stock radio? cause all thats does is make sure no one can operate your deck if stolen

My Cars
    '11 XC90, '06 Jetta 2.0T
    if there is an alarm, it may just be on valet mode. This mode should still lock/unlock the doors with the remote, but won't arm/disarm. Usually there is a switch mounted somewhere that is concealed underneath the dash. If you don't have the remote (as I didn't when I bought my car), there is a site that you can order specific remotes from and then configure them to your car. I will check on the site. Hope this helps.
    -Dave

Smile

Thanks for the tip i think thats it
    Rick