RM European Auto Parts

Thread: evaporative emission control system pressure sensor

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3

evaporative emission control system pressure sensor

my car has an evaporitive emission control system pressure sensor leak. I know nothing about this sensor. Can anyone out there help?

pelos

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i

Evap Control System

Pelos:
    Now that you know that the evap system is causing your fault you should do a good job checking lines.
    First off if I recall correctly the evap control system is under your spare tire.
    You can take that black plastic cover off that sits below your spare tire.
    Start by checking your hoses carefully and then move to the other components. If you have a habit of filling the tank then continuing to top off the tank you probably have loaded your charcoal canister up and will need to replace it.
    All the system is supposed to do is collect gas fumes and use the charcoal canister to contain them.

I am sure others have had this same problem but at least you know where to start looking now.

My Cars
    93 BMW 325i, 99 BMW 528iT
    Perhaps a dumb question, but would this have anything to do with the fact that the whole garage smells like gas for a couple of days after I fill it up?
    BMWCCA Member #364761 www.bmwcca.org
    A Mercedes can also bring driving pleasure.....

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    thanks for the help. i will check it this weekend.

pelos

Quote Originally Posted by fun2drive
    Pelos:
    Now that you know that the evap system is causing your fault you should do a good job checking lines.
    First off if I recall correctly the evap control system is under your spare tire.
    You can take that black plastic cover off that sits below your spare tire.
    Start by checking your hoses carefully and then move to the other components. If you have a habit of filling the tank then continuing to top off the tank you probably have loaded your charcoal canister up and will need to replace it.
    All the system is supposed to do is collect gas fumes and use the charcoal canister to contain them.

I am sure others have had this same problem but at least you know where to start looking now.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    that's a good question, but i'm not sure on the answer. I don't have that problem with my car.

pelos

Quote Originally Posted by mjfeeney
    Perhaps a dumb question, but would this have anything to do with the fact that the whole garage smells like gas for a couple of days after I fill it up?

My Cars
    97 M3 sedan black on black, 90 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by pelos
    that's a good question, but i'm not sure on the answer. I don't have that problem with my car...
    probably a dumb statement from me, but do you leave your car running (like to keep the a/c on or to keep the heater running) when you're filling up with gas? If so, you will get the CEL and the error code you mention will be stored. Also occurs when the gas cap gasket or pressure spring goes bad, although they will usually show as an evap em control sys leak.

Might want to check the plug for the sensor locted behind the gas filler neck to make sure the sensor is plugged into the harness, you'll need to remove the rear passenger wheel and the fender liner to access this area.

just my 2cents US...
    Tom --M3 SEDAN CLUB #55
    (TDWyatt)

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato