View Poll Results: Do you track or Autocross your car?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

12 36.36%
  • Kind of but only 1-3 events per year.

8 24.24%
  • Somewhat of a track junkie 4-6 events a year

5 15.15%
  • Dedicated track junkie 6 or more

7 21.21%
  • Drag Racing

1 3.03%

Thread: Do you track your car

My Cars
    05 GT3,M3 LTW, E90 325, E46 325, E46 M3 Conv,
    I was thinking about some things this morning and thought this would be a good question. I hear all this talk about how everybodies cars perform and I want to see what kind of experience we are talking about here.

My Cars
    2012 MINI S

Tracking my car....

Hey Seth,
    I don't get to track as much as I would like to but hope that changes this year. I work retail and it's difficult to get weekends off. I was a spectator at a PCA Autocross at Atlanta Motor Speedway a couple of weeks ago and that looked like alot of fun, for only $20 can't beat it. I may start doing those. I want you as my instructor at the next BMWCCA driver's school at Road Atlanta. LOL...I already told Carl that.

Also...Thanks to Kevlar for helping me get my pic on here, it's very cool.

My Cars
    None

Kind of but only 1-3 events per year...

Only because I'm not rich and can't afford driving sessions =)

I always have fun racing my M3 @ road racing tracks. The first few times I had some wipeouts which was scary but at the same time, didn't go to the right school. BMW CCA ones are the best.

I dont plan on racing my personal M3 at the tracks anymore. I'd rather buy a beatup '95 M3 and turn that into a track car. Or do other different kinds of racing/hobbies like shifter karts, dirtbikes, ATVs, or go to other racing schools that supply the vehicle.

Here too,
    Useless

My Cars

Re: Tracking my car....

Originally posted by SteveB
    I want you as my instructor at the next BMWCCA driver's school at Road Atlanta. LOL...I already told Carl that.
    So is this good or bad? That is fine with me. I had rather have a student with some experience than one without. But then I won't be able to pass you either !

My Cars
    Originally posted by Pierre
    Here too,
    Useless
    Shit I can't shake you. What is up with this? Your not some psycho stalker are you? No wait nevermind. You are a psycho racecar driver just like the rest of us.

I'm in the bay area, so luckily there are 3 tracks w/in a 2 hour drive (Sears Point, Thunderhill, and Laguna Seca...oh wait, that's the Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca...)....so I get around 5-6 track events/time trials a year, plus 5-6 autoxs or so...enough to keep me from jonesin' and gettin' the shakes....

Never, at least not yet. But, can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind a hundred times.

Guess this is a good of a place as any to ask my question (probably also explains why I haven't tracked my car yet !).

Q) Doesn't tracking your car beat the shit out of it ?

Now, I know if you compare M3's to most cars, as we all know they are better made and engineered than most cars, that M3's will hold up better in a recreational track environment. But still, tracking your car must still play havoc on wear items such as brakes, rotors, tires, clutch, bearings, bushings, and the list goes on ?

I've read in the past drivers posting that they can run thru a set of pads, rotors and tires in one weekend at the track. Notwithstanding the cost of these wear items alone, but there has to be major wear on many other components on the entire car ? Right ?

So, tell me, does tracking your M3 really beat it up ? Or, do I have a misperception and it really is only causing major wear on maintenance items that are easily replaced ?

My Cars
    2012 MINI S

Track wear

North Florida,
    I've had my car on the track several times and haven't noticed any extra wear. I have almost 52,000 miles now and still on original pads/rotors, clutch etc. I did get a set of track wheels/tires to save my street tires though.
    The guys that have seen me at the track events can tell you I do drive aggressively, so it's not that I am taking it easy on my car. It's like I and several others have said many times, part of it is being smooth. You can, brake hard, take a late apex accelerate hard out of a corner and still be smooth in doing all that. That's probably the biggest thing I have learned about controlling the car at speed...being smooth.

My Cars
    I am with Steve here. Don't worry about the wear and tear. It is very minimal. And plus you are just starting out so you are not going to be going through a set of pads and rotors the frist few times you go to the track. Plus the wear on the car is not much. Yes it is more than street driving but not much more. My LTW has a lot of track miles on it and I have not gone through a set of rotors yet, pads yes. I have not had to replace any parts of the suspension yet nor have I had any premature wear on any major parts. My clutch was still good at 50,000 miles and was only replaced because I was doing a euro motor swap. But I promise the fun you will have at the track will more than make up for it. Just go and don't worry about it. Have fun. When you get fast enough to go through a set of pads in a weekend then it is time to look at taking it to the next level, organized racing. Good luck!

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    Don't worry about wear and tear on your car until you get really fast. Its amazing how different the wear on the car is between driving it at 6/10's and 9/10's. Wear items will really being to wear out once you get up into the A group and can consistently balance your car at its limits, but until then, don't worry too much.

And don't worry about not having fun...chances are when you start out you'll be driving your car around 5/10's of its capabilities (unless you are a natural), but it will feel FAST and you'll have a blast!! It will take at least 6-10 schools before you get so fast that you really start wearing your car out...and at that point, you'll be so hooked, you'll probably buy a track car.

And oh yeah, don't worry about buying track tires. They may make your lap times faster, but they won't help your driving. They are much harder to learn on because the limits of the car are set so high. You're best bet is to start out in a bone stock car (preferably an underpowered E30 318..BEST car to learn in), learn to drive it to its limit and then start adding modifications to make the car faster. Concentrate on the driver before the car. I can consistently outrun guys at the track in Dinan Supercharged M3's with full suspensions in my M3 with the ONLY mods on the entire car being Eibach springs, Bilstein shocks, and a Supersprint exhaust.

My Cars
    E39 M5

Thumbs up What took you so long to get here?

Originally posted by Pierre
    Here too,
    Useless
    Hey Pierre,

How come u posting so early in the morning during working hours?

Are you posting on the job?

OK, jus don't get caught by u manager.

Cheers