Thread: Fiancee considering the purchase of a 3-series - need advice

My Cars
    2003 540i 6-spd

Fiancee considering the purchase of a 3-series - need advice

Hi there,

My fiancee is considering the purchase of a 3-series sedan between 2002 to the brand new 2005 model. However, I wanted to get some advice and recommendations from current owners and enthusiasts. I am hoping that you can answer some questions for me.

Most likely she will be going for the 325 or 330. The 320 just seemed to lack some of the options that should be standard on a car of this class and it seemed as though it would cost more to add those options to make it equal to a 325 at least (minus the stronger motor of the 325). She will be getting a manual transmission.

1) Is there any advantage to going with a later model 325/330... were there any note-worthy changes between the years of 02-05 that would make the later model a better buy?

2) In terms of ongoing maintenance and upkeep, how expensive (or not) is it, to own one of these cars?

3) In terms of little maintanance and repairs that might crop up later in the life of this car, is it something that DIY car guy like me can handle or will I have to run to the dealership, everytime something goes wrong, because of the car being too "unique" and not like any other car to work on?

If I can think of any more questions I will post more later; if any of my questions need clarification please feel free to ask. I want to be able to get a clear understanding of what I/she would be getting in to.

Thanks for your time, all.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330CI, 2004 G35, 2005 350Z
    Quote Originally Posted by speedemn
    Hi there,

My fiancee is considering the purchase of a 3-series sedan between 2002 to the brand new 2005 model. However, I wanted to get some advice and recommendations from current owners and enthusiasts. I am hoping that you can answer some questions for me.

Most likely she will be going for the 325 or 330. The 320 just seemed to lack some of the options that should be standard on a car of this class and it seemed as though it would cost more to add those options to make it equal to a 325 at least (minus the stronger motor of the 325). She will be getting a manual transmission.

1) Is there any advantage to going with a later model 325/330... were there any note-worthy changes between the years of 02-05 that would make the later model a better buy?

2) In terms of ongoing maintenance and upkeep, how expensive (or not) is it, to own one of these cars?

3) In terms of little maintanance and repairs that might crop up later in the life of this car, is it something that DIY car guy like me can handle or will I have to run to the dealership, everytime something goes wrong, because of the car being too "unique" and not like any other car to work on?

If I can think of any more questions I will post more later; if any of my questions need clarification please feel free to ask. I want to be able to get a clear understanding of what I/she would be getting in to.

Thanks for your time, all.
    Well....I have only owned mine for about 4 or 5 months now...but I will try and answer some of your questions.

1. Not too sure what the differences were between the 2002 and 2005 model years....might have to research that yourself.

2. My advice is.....if you are going to buy used....DEFINATLEY pay a little extra and get a CPO car that is warrentied to 6 years/ 100k miles. And if you buy new....then get the extended warrenty. These cars ARE NOT cheap to repair.

3. Regular routine maintenance like oil/brakes/tune up stuff I am sure can be handled by anyone with some basic automotive skills. But other then that....almost everything on the car is computer controlled with sensors out the ass. You will need the dealership to be able to diagnose....then replace because of any neccasary recalibration that might be required. But my guess is that if ever you should have "things" go wrong....you will be making trips to the dealership.

The main question you should ask her is:

Is she the type to buy a car and keep it for more then say....5 years before wanting a new one or just plain getting bored with it?!?!

If so? Then go ahead and pick up a BMW and enjoy it. But if she is wanting something to hold onto longer then that....then yes....some problems might crop up that wont neccessary be cheap to fix.

Hoped I could help

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330CI, 2004 G35, 2005 350Z
    Oh.....and if picking between the 325 and 330....I would go with the 330. But I could be a little biased

But seriously...I liked the 330 over the 325 because it had a lower/wider stance then the 325. Plus more power....so????

My Cars
    2003 540i 6-spd
    Thanks for all the advice so far.

Could we expect the price of the E46 to come down considerably when the E90 is released? That might be a great time to pick up a 2004 or even a 2005 325/330.

Are there any nagging imminent issues that I can expect to crop up at a certain mileage such as O2 sensors at 40K (just as an example) or something like that?

I will have to ask my local dealer what the warranty options are - price/coverage/duration/etc. Reason being - if it would cost me $2000 for example, to have coverage for another 2 years (if I am buying a car that is 2 years old) then it might not be worth my while to pay that - unless it comes with free maintenance too... it is a question of spending that money all up front or MAYBE having to spend it over an extended period of time. The final purchase price of the car will have to have that worked into it or something.

But if the amenities inside the car are pretty standard through those years, then that eliminates one worry of having to search for this option and that, which may or may not be available in a certain year. It seems like the only standard equipment in the 330 that is an option on the 325 are the electric glass sunroof and 3-stage heated front seats. The upgrade packages are of course different for the 325 vs the 330.

She should be satisfied with the motor of a 325, but if we can get a good deal on a used 330 then we might just get that... from what I have seen these cars depreciate 20% - 25% in the first year and then about 10%-15% over the next year. Is that a fair estimation?

My Cars
    2002 330i, 2002 325iT
    Could we expect the price of the E46 to come down considerably when the E90 is released? That might be a great time to pick up a 2004 or even a 2005 325/330.
    Yes.

Are there any nagging imminent issues that I can expect to crop up at a certain mileage such as O2 sensors at 40K (just as an example) or something like that?
    Front control arm bushings, window regulators, and climate control end-stage resistors. I'm at 46K on my '02 330i and haven't had any of these problems, but plenty of people have.