Thread: BMW Software Issue

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan (Sold)

BMW Software Issue

Hey guys, I did some searching but couldn't find anything so I thought I'd post a thread and see if anyone else has come across this issue.

I took my car in to the local dealership this past September to have the Dinan Stage 1 software downloaded. They tried to download it but couldn't (I watched). Turns ouy my car hasn't been updated with the latest BMW software (I bought the car used) and the Dinan program wouldn't allow itself to load the software, so they tried to download their (BMW) software but couldn't as well b/c they said they didn't have the most up to date and would have to send away for it. Needless to say, they still havn't gotten it in and I called at least once a week. I thought about getting the Shark Injector but read that it also requires your car to be up to date with the lasted BMW software (so that tells me that the dealer wasn't BS'ing me)

Has anyone ever run into this issue? What frustrates me the most is I can't do any other mods (Supercharger, etc) until I get my car updated, because apparently new performance software won't download unless the car is up to date. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks!

My Cars
    Wicked White Evolution X
    That's good to know I have never heard of this.

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    if software is flashed 8+ times it will lock the computer so it cant be reflashed.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan (Sold)
    I'm heading to Atlanta this weekend to visit relatives and contacted a dealership there. They seemed confused on why my dealership couldn't update my software and perform the Dinan upgrade. They said once a month BMWNA sends them updates to load into their system. They told me to bring the car by and they'd see what they can do.

My Cars
    96 Grape of Wrath & 00 Cherokee
    if software is flashed 8+ times it will lock the computer so it cant be reflashed.
    Where have you heard that? I'm not arguing with you, I just have never heard of that or know why BMW would do that.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan (Sold)
    Update.

I went to Global Imports in Atlanta (extremely courteous by the way) today and they tried the Dinan download again, and like before the Dinan handheld PC said my car was not updated with the most up to date BMW software. So they hooked the car up to their main PC and said my DME is not allowing any updates to be performed.

They said it's (ECU) working, but not allowing any information to be uploaded. They're not sure what the problem is, he said it could be that my connection port is broken (but in Nashville they tried installing the software from inside and got the same results). The system apparently shot back some codes, and the dealership did not know what they meant, so they are calling BMWNA on Monday to find out what they mean, and let me know what the deal is.

Hopefully I won't have to purchase a new ECU, but if all esle fails I'll be forced to, b/c I'm planning on numerous mods in the future.

All in all, I'm making progress on the software issue, and hopefully this may help someone out in the future.